titoxo
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
How do i choose my 5th choice for ucas.
I'm planning on studying medicine but dont know how or what my 5th choice should be?
musicalrose
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
It could be pharmacy or bio med, or some other kind of science. Is there any particular uni you want to go to? If so, you see what other bio/chem related courses they do there? Or you could maybe apply for nursing or midwifery or something if you really want to work in the sector? idk these are just the things I have of the top of my head- I'm sure there are loads of helpful websites out there that can also give you advice
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by titoxo)
I'm planning on studying medicine but dont know how or what my 5th choice should be?
Leave it empty and add it in January.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Most choose something like Biomed or Biochem - and so the competition for these subjects is high.
If you go slightly sideways you can find more interesting courses and are more likely to get an offer.
Some suggestions :
Neuroscience - https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...uroscience-BSc
CMM - includes a wide range of different areas just keep scrolling down the page - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...undergraduate/
Cardiac Physiology - https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/i104/hea...physiology-bsc
Pharmacology - https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...rmacology-bsc/
Or you could do entirely off-piste and apply for Law - Bristol does not read PS, they just assess/offer on LNAT and A level predictions - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/law/
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Have a think about what your 5th choice is for.
Most med students will have
Plan A: get an offer from one or more of 4 choices and get the grades to start the course this year
Plan B: don’t get an offer from any of 4 choices but get good grades and find a med place in clearing
Plan C: no offers from 4 choices, good grades but no luck in clearing - gap year and reapply
Plan D: don’t get good grades and don’t get a med place. Resit and reapply for med.
Plan E: don’t get good grades and don’t get a med place and can’t/won’t resit. Go to 5th choice course or clearing choice for a different career path.

So have a long think about what you might want to do instead of medicine if you don’t get the grades and can’t/won’t resit and reapply during a gap year. What career choice is your Plan E? That’s what your 5th choice is for.

(Note: I left off GEM as a plan - it’s a very poor backup plan due to the competition and funding issues - and even if that’s what you want to do there’s lots of degrees that are suitable for GEM and an alternative career plan)
Swansea University Colleges
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by titoxo)
Hi!

Swansea University Medical School offers a Pathway to Medicine which may be good for you to consider as your fifth option. The pathway allows you to do any of the five following undergraduate courses:
-Medical Pharmacology (what I studied)
-Applied Medical Sciences
-Population Health and Medical Sciences
-Medical Biochemistry
-Medical Genetics
By entering one of the above courses, you can pick a module called "Doctors, Patients and Goals of Medicine" in second year. Achieving 60% in that as well as the lower cut off score for the GAMSAT, you are guaranteed an interview for postgraduate medicine at Swansea University. You can enter on this pathway and not to medicine at the end if that is what you wish - there are research and enterprise pathways too.

Let me know if you have anymore questions
Romessa - Medical School
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads