The Student Room Group

student finance payments and year in industry

Hello,

I recently applied for student finance for my post graduate studies in data science and artificial intelligence MSc. I applied for the year in industry (there are 2 courses - one with the year in industry and one without) and applied for a post graduate loans for this year in industry version.

To give background, the first year of the course costs £10,000 and the second year (year in industry) costs £2,000.

My application updated and I could see on my online account the scheduled payments for the 2 years. I could see on the scheduled payments that the payments had been evenly distributed and split over the 2 years despite the first year costing 10k and the year in industry costing 2k.

Just wondering if this is correct? I'm a bit worried as I would only receive £5,785 for the first year which wouldn't cover the cost of my tuition for that first year and the £5,785 payment for the second year gives too high of an amount for that year in industry.
Original post by amy_g_97
Hello,

I recently applied for student finance for my post graduate studies in data science and artificial intelligence MSc. I applied for the year in industry (there are 2 courses - one with the year in industry and one without) and applied for a post graduate loans for this year in industry version.

To give background, the first year of the course costs £10,000 and the second year (year in industry) costs £2,000.

My application updated and I could see on my online account the scheduled payments for the 2 years. I could see on the scheduled payments that the payments had been evenly distributed and split over the 2 years despite the first year costing 10k and the year in industry costing 2k.

Just wondering if this is correct? I'm a bit worried as I would only receive £5,785 for the first year which wouldn't cover the cost of my tuition for that first year and the £5,785 payment for the second year gives too high of an amount for that year in industry.

Hi Amy, this is correct.

We don't offer any Tuition Fee or Maintenance Loans to postgraduate applicants. Students are responsible for paying the fee.

You can apply for a contribution to costs loan to help.
You can find out more information about the funding available here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y

Thanks, Isaac
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Amy, this is correct.

We don't offer any Tuition Fee or Maintenance Loans to postgraduate applicants. Students are responsible for paying the fee.

You can apply for a contribution to costs loan to help.
You can find out more information about the funding available here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y

Thanks, Isaac

Hi there,

I'm aware that there is no maintenance loan for post graduate students, my question was whether the distribution of that maximum allowance (£11,570) can be distributed in a way that covers that first year of my tuition fee (£10,000) rather than being distributed exactly evenly over the 2 years which are drastically different in terms of tuition fee costs - the first year being £10,000 and the second year being £2,000.
Original post by amy_g_97
Hi there,

I'm aware that there is no maintenance loan for post graduate students, my question was whether the distribution of that maximum allowance (£11,570) can be distributed in a way that covers that first year of my tuition fee (£10,000) rather than being distributed exactly evenly over the 2 years which are drastically different in terms of tuition fee costs - the first year being £10,000 and the second year being £2,000.

As it's not a tuition fee loan, this isn't possible unfortunately.

You could speak with the university and ask if they will accept payments that match your student finance payment schedule if you will be using the money to cover the fee cost.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending