sideoflargefries
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi! I'm looking for advice that helped you in GCSE year. Specifically, if your mental health isn't great. I can't focus for long and although I have the motivation, I can't start revising or revise effectively enough. I'm in year 10 and after the summer I'll be in year 11. We have our mocks in the autumn/winter term and the real thing in April/May and I really would like to get mostly 8s and 9s. I know I can do it, I just don't know how! I used to achieve 7s and 8s and some 9s but after my mental health declined my GPA is like 6.5... If anybody has advice for revising over the summer please let me know! Thank you.
SneezyPanda
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Hi

This summer focus on making sure you have all of your notes from year 10 condensed down and made into usable revision resources like flashcards, etc. It doesn't matter yet whether you are fully retaining this information, just make sure you have got all your notes together in an interactive format so that after the summer you can start going through this information with the Read, Cover, Write, Check method. Once you have your resources you'll feel a lot better and writing out flashcards takes little mental focus and sin;t as exhausting as actively trying to retain information at the same time as trying to organise your notes.

DM me for any more tips (my phone is dying so...)

Hope this helps xx
4liferzz
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SneezyPanda)
Hi

This summer focus on making sure you have all of your notes from year 10 condensed down and made into usable revision resources like flashcards, etc. It doesn't matter yet whether you are fully retaining this information, just make sure you have got all your notes together in an interactive format so that after the summer you can start going through this information with the Read, Cover, Write, Check method. Once you have your resources you'll feel a lot better and writing out flashcards takes little mental focus and sin;t as exhausting as actively trying to retain information at the same time as trying to organise your notes.

Hope this helps xx
What did you get in your gcses xx
sj.21
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
If you are confident with the content keep practicing exam questions every now and then. Definitely still enjoy your summer though x
SneezyPanda
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 4liferzz)
What did you get in your gcses xx
I got Grade 9s in English lit and lang, history, geography, art and combined science. A D* (distinction star) in fashion and a grade 7 in maths.
Using the same methods I'm predicted straight A*s in A-Level art, geography, English lit and EPQ xx
Last edited by SneezyPanda; 5 months ago
4liferzz
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I got Grade 9s in English lit and lang, history, geography, art and combined science. A D* (distinction star) in fashion and a grade 7 in maths.
Using the same methods I'm predicted straight A*s in A-Level art, geography, English lit and EPQ xx
Ooh I have some questions now
What methods did you use for english and history?
How did you get a 99 in science?
I'm getting 5/6s and sevens if I'm lucky do you think I could get 9s in year 11
SneezyPanda
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by 4liferzz)
Ooh I have some questions now
What methods did you use for english and history?
How did you get a 99 in science?
I'm getting 5/6s and sevens if I'm lucky do you think I could get 9s in year 11
Hi

For English I basically just memorised quotes and learned the plot of each text. For memorising quotes I wrote the full quote on the back of a flashcard along with who said it and any literary devices that are in it. On the opposing side, I wrote 3 keywords out of the quote so that I had to remember the full quote only using those 3 words as a guideline.

For history, I also made flashcards with key facts, statistics and information on them. I then used a whiteboard and wrote down as much of the information I could remember from my head on it, then checked the flashcard and wrote any missing information onto the whiteboard in a different colour. I repeat this at least 3 times for each flashcard or until I can remember everything on each card.

For science, I feel like I was just really lucky tbh. I mostly used Seneca learning because I left revision until the last minute and didn't have enough time for flashcards. I dunno if you have to pay for Seneca learning because my school had an account so it's maybe worth looking into it (I wouldn't say buy it tho because all it is is an interactive revision tool that has the same things as the GCSE textbooks.

Yeah, I think you could deffo get to grade 9s by year 11 with a lot of work. I know people who went from grade 3s in science to grade 8s so it's not impossible! You mainly need to figure out what type of learner you are (kinetic, auditory, visual, etc.) and use that to research the best revision methods for you. My technique relies heavily on myself being a visual learner as well as having a photographic memory so use trial and error over this summer to find the best technique for you. If you feel that you aren't retaining any information maybe try mind-mapping, creating audio files of reading out information and then listen to it on repeat, create games like Snap where you can use the information in a fun way. This didn't work for me but did for lots of my friends but practising past papers helps to exercise and test not only what your remembering but to also be able to use it in practice. If doing past papers start by planning them first with your notes and then write them (untimed). Once your comfortable with that plan and write the answers without notes with no time limit. Finally, try answering questions with a time limit. This will help to build up your exam technique.

I hope that this helps xx
sideoflargefries
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi

Hope this helps xx
thank you so much this is rly helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.46%
Okay (114)
29.16%
A bit lacking (148)
37.85%
Not good at all (92)
23.53%

Watched Threads