The Student Room Group

Physics EPQ

I'm applying for physics (theoretical) at uni and am starting an EPQ now into Year 13. I want to do mine on unification and make it an essay rather than an experiment like a lot of the examples I've seen. I haven't been able to find an example of a physics EPQ that is purely essay-based, they're all very experimental and the titles are questions. Does my EPQ have to be an experiment and does the title have to be a question?

I'm also struggling on finding a title and topic as I wanted to present various attempts at unification and show how they were developed, explain the theory to some extent, and provide arguments and evidence for and against them. Any tips on how to tweak this to get a higher grade and fit into what's expected for an EPQ?
I've never seen anyone do an experiment. Theres not many interesting experiments you can do within the scope of an a level project I think. Most people do dissertations. Idk how broad the topic of unification is but remember you've got to write 5000 words. Ig theres quite a bit to talk about if you mention the fundamental force, gauge bosons and all of that stuff
Reply 2
Sorry to say this but it is fairly hard to do physics projects at A level as in physics normally you are either an experimental or theoretical physicist. Were your project be experimental, it is still possible as it depends on what your experiment is (can be as simple as building the best aeroplane). However for a theoretical project, more often than not it will involve computing of some sort, e.g. Python simulation of the N-body problem (which I did as a project this year) so unless you are good at programming, it would be very hard to do a project that is entirely essay-based which resembles anything or research.
Original post by tej3141
I've never seen anyone do an experiment. Theres not many interesting experiments you can do within the scope of an a level project I think. Most people do dissertations. Idk how broad the topic of unification is but remember you've got to write 5000 words. Ig theres quite a bit to talk about if you mention the fundamental force, gauge bosons and all of that stuff

Yep, I wanted to research the Kaluza-Klein theory, Standard Model and String theory, going quite in-depth into explaining them, but I'm not sure if I can just explain them and get a good grade on it. I wanted to bring analysis in by taking about the proof for and against each theory and why some scientists criticise them.
Original post by Luwei
Sorry to say this but it is fairly hard to do physics projects at A level as in physics normally you are either an experimental or theoretical physicist. Were your project be experimental, it is still possible as it depends on what your experiment is (can be as simple as building the best aeroplane). However for a theoretical project, more often than not it will involve computing of some sort, e.g. Python simulation of the N-body problem (which I did as a project this year) so unless you are good at programming, it would be very hard to do a project that is entirely essay-based which resembles anything or research.

I see your point! I'm not sure if the EPQ has to be research in sense of finding my own results, I wanted to document the history of different theories and explain them based on the research I did, rather than find my own findings.

Quick Reply

Latest