The Student Room Group

What to do before uni?

i'm in year 12 and next year i need to send applications for university. what can i do between now and then to increase my chances of getting to a good university. i don't have much achievements in my life and idek what i would write in my personal statement. i'm planning to attend open days in summer (idk if this affects getting an offer), but i have the rest of the summer so any advice.
Original post by stressingrn
i'm in year 12 and next year i need to send applications for university. what can i do between now and then to increase my chances of getting to a good university. i don't have much achievements in my life and idek what i would write in my personal statement. i'm planning to attend open days in summer (idk if this affects getting an offer), but i have the rest of the summer so any advice.

What do you want to study?
It’s not helpful to mention voluntary work in a PS for many subjects. It depends on the subject applied to and the nature of the work (plus many universities recognise that lots of applicants can’t afford to do unpaid work)
There are no magic tricks that get you a Uni offer.

What Universities want to see is evidence of commitment to your chosen subject and evidence of your engagement with it at a higher level than just A levels. You can do this by doing extra reading, watching relevant podcast lectures and improving your study skills. Here are some suggestions -
Gresham College lectures by leading academics : https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/
Cambridge supercurriculars : https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf
UCAS Study Tips : https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/study-skills-guides

In terms of 'doing something else' - as above, it wont get you a Uni offer but it might provide a good example of your determination to reach a goal - why don't you train/get fit, get sponsorship and do Race for Life or similar.
Being wealthy enough to afford to work without pay is a privilege. Plenty of people from poor backgrounds are generous too but can’t afford to work for free.

Generosity isn’t a requirement for success on a degree course.

I didn’t say it’s not a worthwhile thing to do - I said it isn’t beneficial for most PSs.
And your source for this claim is ...?

Those of us who read Personal Statements for a living look for evidence of commitment to the chosen subject, evidence of higher-thinking skills and beyond-A level-engagement with the subject.

We do not enjoy reading lists of hobbies or voluntary work etc that does not have a 'meaning' that is relevant to the subject or to your ability to work hard - hence my suggestion about Race for Life above. Just volunteering so that you can show off about your moral superiority is something any Admissions staff can spot a mile off.
Original post by PQ
What do you want to study?

computer science
Original post by stressingrn
computer science

Code academy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending