The Student Room Group

I didn’t feel appreciated by my placement school

In summary as you can see from last posts. I’ve hated it here. It’s done and over now a long old 6 month slog is over and I’m so happy.

But it came to an end and I can’t help but feel like I was under appreciated here. I know you guys might thing they’re small things that I’m paranoid about but they’re not.

1. I’ve been there for 6 months and longer and made lots of contributions to the department. This has been through going in during covid when schools were closed and teaching little groups of students to online lessons all the way through to now. Really minor thing- they put the other trainee who was there since April’s name before mine. Which felt like they just had her in mind before me.

2. Another trainee joined in April and to be honest I may aswell have just lived in their shadow. She had a very happy go lucky outlook but I always felt behind it there was more of a sharpness about them.

3. My mentor was awful. Not a bad person per se. But disorganised as f. Never did she meet a single deadline of mine for uni. I always had to push and it was always half-soaked when she did things for me. She submitted my paperwork abouy 10 mins before the deadline.

4. The cherry on the cake here. I went out yesterday and spent £30 at Waitrose for all staff to enjoy a lovely few snacks because I didn’t want to do individual gifts. But I got such a half hearted thank you.

5. The other trainee had a fully signed card from the department. (This was because her mentor organised it and mine had AL booked for an appt) but even still I didn’t get a card from the department at all. Which actually really upset me. I did so much for them, I really did and that’s the thanks i got. Literally nothing at all.

6. The only one who got me a gift was one I didn’t even expect it from and I wish I got her something.

I feel so sad and almost like I lived in the other trainees shadow. I’m super happy it’s over. But I’m also sad that it ended with me feeling like I was excited to give gifts with the hope I’d have a nice card from everyone. But nothing at all. The other trainee had that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Jammydodger39
In summary as you can see from last posts. I’ve hated it here. It’s done and over now a long old 6 month slog is over and I’m so happy.

But it came to an end and I can’t help but feel like I was under appreciated here. I know you guys might thing they’re small things that I’m paranoid about but they’re not.

1. I’ve been there for 6 months and longer and made lots of contributions to the department. This has been through going in during covid when schools were closed and teaching little groups of students to online lessons all the way through to now. Really minor thing- they put the other trainee who was there since April’s name before mine. Which felt like they just had her in mind before me.

2. Another trainee joined in April and to be honest I may aswell have just lived in their shadow. She had a very happy go lucky outlook but I always felt behind it there was more of a sharpness about them.

3. My mentor was awful. Not a bad person per se. But disorganised as f. Never did she meet a single deadline of mine for uni. I always had to push and it was always half-soaked when she did things for me. She submitted my paperwork abouy 10 mins before the deadline.

4. The cherry on the cake here. I went out yesterday and spent £30 at Waitrose for all staff to enjoy a lovely few snacks because I didn’t want to do individual gifts. But I got such a half hearted thank you.

5. The other trainee had a fully signed card from the department. (This was because her mentor organised it and mine had AL booked for an appt) but even still I didn’t get a card from the department at all. Which actually really upset me. I did so much for them, I really did and that’s the thanks i got. Literally nothing at all.

6. The only one who got me a gift was one I didn’t even expect it from and I wish I got her something.

I feel so sad and almost like I lived in the other trainees shadow. I’m super happy it’s over. But I’m also sad that it ended with me feeling like I was excited to give gifts with the hope I’d have a nice card from everyone. But nothing at all. The other trainee had that.

aww that’s awful I’m so sorry :frown:
they shouldn’t have treat you like that, you could complain to your uni if you weren’t getting proper support and they were giving the other trainee more attention.
at least it’s over now and you don’t have to go back Xx
I don't see what's wrong. It seems you are trying to make a few very minor things into a big deal.
Original post by lucyyy12
aww that’s awful I’m so sorry :frown:
they shouldn’t have treat you like that, you could complain to your uni if you weren’t getting proper support and they were giving the other trainee more attention.
at least it’s over now and you don’t have to go back Xx

You can't complain to the uni that the other trainee got a better leaving gift than you. It will trivialise other complaints OP should make about serious issues.

@Jammydodger39I hate to say this, but a lot of schools see taking trainees as hassles. Expecting to be appreciated by the department is a bit much. I understand this year has been different, and people have stepped up more due to covid, but equally it's been a very tough year for everyone and making a trainee feel appreciated might just be a bit much at this stage.

Getting cards and presents from your department isn't actually usual- it's nice the other trainee got something, but it's not to be expected. It's nice you got them something, but it sounds like you expected something in return, which kind of invalidates your gifts.

I think you do have valid complaints about this school, but this all feels very petty- just put the experience behind you, move on, complain about the serious issues, and let this one go.
Hi, to be honest, I left secondary teaching and this was a part of the problem. I found there is a general sense that secondary teachers have had enough. You don't really know what has gone on, it could be the other trainee has been offered a job. Maybe she took over some lessons from the mentor who was really struggling. I found it a negative job, where there is no sense of team work. Everyone is individualistic. Also, we had people who were really trying to go out of their way, and it was obvious. People don't like this 'sucking up'. I am not saying you did this, but it happens.

I was invited the Christmas party at my first placement, and was told I failed. Got the bus home disappointed while others were enjoying themselves. I subsequently was awarded QTS, but, in my case, it just wasn't for me. It isn't that I can't not do the job, there is just something about the job, long-hours, a negative vibe etc.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending