Why are universities still going to be at least partially online?

Watch
SuperGirl3231
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Why are universities still going to be at least partially online despite restrictions ending in July? What makes universities so special that they think they can get away with restrictions for so much longer?

Most students will be partially or fully vaccinated. You can quarantine international students for a couple of weeks. For students that don't want in-person classes, you can still have recorded lectures and a few online tutorials.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nah. I feel the Unis have the sensible idea here, they have to plan for more restrictions no matter what feeble lies the Government jump to and from . Cases are rising, not falling so expecting an end to all restrictions is not realistic.

TBH I'd be surprised to see unis go back to 100% in person teaching, I think students are going to demand more flexibility just as many workers are demanding homeworking is re examined
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because universities don’t trust the government not to **** everything up again and impose another lockdown partway through term without warning.

It’s better to prepare to deliver blended learning well with plans to switch to 100% online if needed than to get caught out with a timetable and curriculum that falls apart if they need to switch online.

Plus online and recorded lectures frees up space in the timetable and on campus for the things that are better delivered in person.
SuperGirl3231
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Because universities don’t trust the government not to **** everything up again and impose another lockdown partway through term without warning.

It’s better to prepare to deliver blended learning well with plans to switch to 100% online if needed than to get caught out with a timetable and curriculum that falls apart if they need to switch online.

Plus online and recorded lectures frees up space in the timetable and on campus for the things that are better delivered in person.
I'm sure universities have the brains to come up with a plan that lets them switch from fully in-person to fully online considering that is what most schools have had to do.
Last edited by SuperGirl3231; 3 weeks ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperGirl3231)
I'm sure universities have the brains to come up with a plan that lets them switch from fully in-person to fully online considering that is what most schools have had to do.
University timetabling and curriculum is much more complex than schools. Schools deliver a curriculum set by the exam boards. Universities have to quality assure and set their own curriculum as well as manage a lot more flexibility in timetabling for module choices and scheduling of equipment, spaces and resources.

They might be capable of doing this but it’s a waste of efforts in most cases. Student organisations have been campaigning for years for recorded and online lectures - doubling efforts to do in person and online isn’t a sensible choice.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you even considered international students? The covid situation isn't homogeneous...
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know, it's ridiculous isn't it. Put me off from going this year, I'd rather go next year instead. Proper joke now all these restrictions, especially when all the elderly are getting vaccinated. And it's not like student age people are at risk, so I just think it's pointless.
Ckent1234
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly I can't cope with anymore lockdowns. I hope that University teaching is 100% in person I mean I hope they drop the testing after I have had my vaccinations because I could die if I have one of those tests due to my nose and breathing but I mean if I have to then I will be very careful and if I have to do online learning I hope its soooo minimal but I can't support another lockdown.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why are universities still going to be at least partially online despite restrictions ending in July?
There is zero guarantee that those restrictions are ending on the 19th.
Ckent1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
There is zero guarantee that those restrictions are ending on the 19th.
Well most things may be eased not testing not masks and not distancing indoors 🙄😒
SuperGirl3231
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Have you even considered international students? The covid situation isn't homogeneous...
Yes, hence why I mentioned international students directly and also said there can still be an online option. Some universities has recorded lectures, even in-person ones before Covid, so I don't see why this isn't possible now.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ckent1234)
Well most things may be eased not testing not masks and not distancing indoors 🙄😒
Can't expect a Uni to plan a year ahead based on a maybe. We get to react to headlines from the comfort of our homes on the day, in a way that institutions such as Unis simply don't.
Ckent1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Can't expect a Uni to plan a year ahead based on a maybe. We get to react to headlines from the comfort of our homes on the day, in a way that institutions such as Unis simply don't.
That's true and its so wrong one min it's face to face then online then distanced it's ridiculous
domesticengineer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think they're expecting a bad flu season this winter plus we still have rising cases of the Delta variant, and it will be Autumn - going into winter when the NHS struggles in normal years. I genuinely believe the Universities want things to be as normal as possible, with in person teaching, campus activities etc but they are also being cautious and preparing for every eventuality. Last year they said they would return to in person teaching and then they didn't due to the pandemic lockdown so in a way students were sold a lie. So this year I think they have to be honest as no one really knows what to expect in this pandemic and they can't make any false promises, and need to be prepared (eg, have the resources set up for online learning). But I'm keeping everything crossed that this is the final wave. But the sad truth is that no one knows. With high case numbers, comes new variants. My daughter decided not to go to uni this year and a big part of the decision was due to the pandemic - and not getting the full university experience. My personal feeling is that it's going to be an unsettled winter but I genuinely believe 2022 will be better - as by then most of us would have had it or been vaccinated.
Ckent1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by domesticengineer)
I think they're expecting a bad flu season this winter plus we still have rising cases of the Delta variant, and it will be Autumn - going into winter when the NHS struggles in normal years. I genuinely believe the Universities want things to be as normal as possible, with in person teaching, campus activities etc but they are also being cautious and preparing for every eventuality. Last year they said they would return to in person teaching and then they didn't due to the pandemic lockdown so in a way students were sold a lie. So this year I think they have to be honest as no one really knows what to expect in this pandemic and they can't make any false promises, and need to be prepared (eg, have the resources set up for online learning). But I'm keeping everything crossed that this is the final wave. But the sad truth is that no one knows. With high case numbers, comes new variants. My daughter decided not to go to uni this year and a big part of the decision was due to the pandemic - and not getting the full university experience. My personal feeling is that it's going to be an unsettled winter but I genuinely believe 2022 will be better - as by then most of us would have had it or been vaccinated.
Yeah I get what you mean and yeah she does right to apply for next year me myself I'm going this September in hopes of getting a good university experience however I know 2022 will be a better year however I am still hopeful
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hoping the lockdown continues so I can attend lectures in bed lol.
whoisjohngalt?
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
University timetabling and curriculum is much more complex than schools. Schools deliver a curriculum set by the exam boards. Universities have to quality assure and set their own curriculum as well as manage a lot more flexibility in timetabling for module choices and scheduling of equipment, spaces and resources.

They might be capable of doing this but it’s a waste of efforts in most cases. Student organisations have been campaigning for years for recorded and online lectures - doubling efforts to do in person and online isn’t a sensible choice.
Good points. University lecturers tend to also be engaged in research alongside teaching (in fact depending on the institution, research might be a bigger priority to them than teaching), so insecure timetabling for their teaching commitments is likely to impact on the research.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why are universities still going to be at least partially online despite restrictions ending in July? What makes universities so special that they think they can get away with restrictions for so much longer?

Most students will be partially or fully vaccinated. You can quarantine international students for a couple of weeks. For students that don't want in-person classes, you can still have recorded lectures and a few online tutorials.
Short answer is that they don't trust the UK government and the DfE when it comes to receiving updated guidance on Covid restrictions. At my uni, we're planning for two scenarios: a) near-normal scenario without social distancing and b) restricted scenario with 1m social distancing and both of those scenarios should result in mostly in-person teaching. For international students/those who have to self-isolate, there will be some provision of online teaching so they can be accommodated for.

Personally, I'm really hoping for a better academic year and more in-person teaching as this outgoing academic year has been really disruptive and difficult, but we got through it.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by V℮rsions)
And it's not like student age people are at risk, so I just think it's pointless.
Nice to know you are bullet proof, but don’t forget that plenty of younger people have “hidden” issues like asthma, some might be imuno-compromised from medical treatment etc so it’s a risk for all sectors of society. One of my neighbors ended up in hospital with covid, fit athletic woman of 25.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Short answer is that they don't trust the UK government and the DfE when it comes to receiving updated guidance on Covid restrictions. At my uni, we're planning for two scenarios: a) near-normal scenario without social distancing and b) restricted scenario with 1m social distancing and both of those scenarios should result in mostly in-person teaching. For international students/those who have to self-isolate, there will be some provision of online teaching so they can be accommodated for.

Personally, I'm really hoping for a better academic year and more in-person teaching as this outgoing academic year has been really disruptive and difficult, but we got through it.
My university is planning the same - they can't risk not having an online/socially distanced version of provision in case the same thing happens in September that happened last year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads