The Student Room Group

Italian at university

I want to study economics and Italian at university and I have a few questions for anyone who does Italian at university:
how people doing Italian feel about doing it?
Did/do you enjoy it?
I would like to study more of the language rather than the culture, so does your university/course do more of one than the other?
Is there anything I can do to prepare for it?
How is the workload?
What are the assessments like?
I didn't study Italian but I know someone who did. She loved studying it, and really enjoyed her year abroad. She also visited Italy on a few holidays otherwise. So it sounded like she had a very positive experience with it!

In terms of the degree, it's worth noting that any modern languages degree (including joint honours degrees) are more than just language learning courses. Learning about the culture etc is an integral part of learning the language beyond very basic level. A joint honours degree should necessarily include both language study and cultural studies of the country/countries speaking the target language.

If your only interest in the language is for gaining competency in the language then you might find just studying the language through your university's language centre outside of your studies more suitable, or just doing a single honours course and taking just the language modules as optional modules outside your programme (which is usually possible). Note that without cultural context you may find your language skills become limited in some respects.

The rest of the questions I can't really answer although I assume in general the workload should be similar to if you were studying any other subject, although language modules tend to require a bit more ongoing effort to keep on top of the grammar/vocab (you can't just cram for the exam at the end!).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I didn't study Italian but I know someone who did. She loved studying it, and really enjoyed her year abroad. She also visited Italy on a few holidays otherwise. So it sounded like she had a very positive experience with it!

In terms of the degree, it's worth noting that any modern languages degree (including joint honours degrees) are more than just language learning courses. Learning about the culture etc is an integral part of learning the language beyond very basic level. A joint honours degree should necessarily include both language study and cultural studies of the country/countries speaking the target language.

If your only interest in the language is for gaining competency in the language then you might find just studying the language through your university's language centre outside of your studies more suitable, or just doing a single honours course and taking just the language modules as optional modules outside your programme (which is usually possible). Note that without cultural context you may find your language skills become limited in some respects.

The rest of the questions I can't really answer although I assume in general the workload should be similar to if you were studying any other subject, although language modules tend to require a bit more ongoing effort to keep on top of the grammar/vocab (you can't just cram for the exam at the end!).

Thank you! I think the only reason I wanted to do language over culture is because I was afraid the workload would be a lot more, meaning that I wouldn't be able to learn how to speak well in the language.
Original post by Hama31
Thank you! I think the only reason I wanted to do language over culture is because I was afraid the workload would be a lot more, meaning that I wouldn't be able to learn how to speak well in the language.

Generally my impression is that by learning about the culture you improve your skills in the language, better learning how to translate things by understanding what is meant by some idiom better, understanding more subtle, non-surface meanings of things etc.
Original post by Hama31
I want to study economics and Italian at university and I have a few questions for anyone who does Italian at university:
how people doing Italian feel about doing it?
Did/do you enjoy it?
I would like to study more of the language rather than the culture, so does your university/course do more of one than the other?
Is there anything I can do to prepare for it?
How is the workload?
What are the assessments like?

Hi, my message is a bit off topic but I'm just curious. Why do you want to study Italian and not another language? I'm Italian and even though I think knowing at least 2 languages is important probably if I were you I would pick a different language
Reply 5
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi, my message is a bit off topic but I'm just curious. Why do you want to study Italian and not another language? I'm Italian and even though I think knowing at least 2 languages is important probably if I were you I would pick a different language

I’m doing economics and italian as a levels and I really enjoy them. So i thought I could bring them together and do economics and Italian 50/50. Do you think it would be better to do just economics then italian on the side if I enjoy it?
Original post by Hama31
I’m doing economics and italian as a levels and I really enjoy them. So i thought I could bring them together and do economics and Italian 50/50. Do you think it would be better to do just economics then italian on the side if I enjoy it?

I never really looked in much depth in courses like econ + a language so I can't really be helpful. I just quickly looked on UCAS and not many unis offer this combination. But it seems that most courses that are 50/50 do study also the history and culture of Italy. If you just want to study the language probably (not sure) you can achieve a similar level just doing some extra language modules during your degree.
Also, this is totally personal, I think Italian is not a very useful language to study. I love it and it's my mother tongue but it's spoken by very few people compared to French or Spanish. So if you want to study it because you like it is wonderful but if you want to use it at a future work is not the most helpful
Reply 7
Original post by XanaXoid
I never really looked in much depth in courses like econ + a language so I can't really be helpful. I just quickly looked on UCAS and not many unis offer this combination. But it seems that most courses that are 50/50 do study also the history and culture of Italy. If you just want to study the language probably (not sure) you can achieve a similar level just doing some extra language modules during your degree.
Also, this is totally personal, I think Italian is not a very useful language to study. I love it and it's my mother tongue but it's spoken by very few people compared to French or Spanish. So if you want to study it because you like it is wonderful but if you want to use it at a future work is not the most helpful

Thanks for your honest opinion. I will definitely take it into account and do more research over this summer holiday. Appreciate it 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending