Daniel100499
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey, just wondering what happens with student finance an in years 5 and 6. I understand that SFE provides a reduced maintained loan of around £2000 (non london) but I’m just confused about if there’s any other forms of funding available or how much? Thanks
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Daniel100499)
Hey, just wondering what happens with student finance an in years 5 and 6. I understand that SFE provides a reduced maintained loan of around £2000 (non london) but I’m just confused about if there’s any other forms of funding available or how much? Thanks
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure NHS gives you some money as well for maintenance.
Medic Mind
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Daniel100499)
Hi!

You're correct there - SFE does provide a reduced maintenance loan in years 5 and 6. However, in those two years, all students (regardless of their parents' earnings) are entitled to an NHS bursary of £1000. On top of this, some students can get more than this amount of the NHS bursary, but this amount depends on their parents' earnings. You don't have to pay back the NHS bursary, unlike loans from SFE though.

In addition, numerous medical schools provide free hospital accommodation sometime in the clinical years - for example in the 6th year at UCL, we have a 4 month placement in a district general hospital outside London and all students are offered free accommodation. Furthermore, in both years 5 and 6, we can get PPE (personal placement expenses). This allows us to claim back the money that we may have to spend traveling to attend a placement far away (and it can sometimes cover accommodation costs too, if you have had to rent a place for a few months to do a placement outside Central London).

In terms of tuition fees, NHS pays for all the tuition in years 5 and 6 so you don't have to take a tuition fee loan out for those two years.

If any of this confuses you (it's a lot of info!) then I'd be happy to clarify and answer further questions. Are you currently at medical school? If not, then it might be a handy idea to ask medical schools you're interested in if they offer free accommodation in the clinical years because that can save you a lot of money

Marimo Rossiter
UCL Y1 Med Student
Medic Mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads