The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Last year one girl didn't know how to boil a potato so she just put it whole in a pan and it boiled dry three times, she kept taking it out, scraping off the burnt bits and trying again.

Also, my bf didn't know about metal in the microwave, he put the butter in the microwave still in the wrapper and started a fire in the kitchen

:smile: good times
Reply 2
No Future
Someone from my floor may or may not have burnt some food to charcoal in the mircrowave and made the fire alarm go off, so everyone in the hall had to be evacuated and the fire services called...

I did this at home and melted the microwave door.:o:
Reply 3
Metal doesnt always start fires in microwaves though. A few days ago a friend of mine put a crisp wrapper in the microwave at school and it shrunk down into a perfect likeness :o:
Reply 4
In my first year on the last night of the first term someone left an apple pie in the oven in the flat below me for 12 hours, had a nice 6am wake up call and got to wait outside in the cold for hours while the firemen came and sorted it out.
My friend set the fire alarm off cooking. Nothing more exciting than that though.
Reply 6
We left the fire door open not realising the smoke detector was in the hall, and our frying pan smokes like a biyatch so after cooking burgers we hear this beeping and suddenly everyone from our block is outside on the grass asking who set it off. It wouldn't have been such a disaster had we not put all our bras and pants up on the kitchen cupboards and radiator to dry, which all the hot firemen saw.
not really uni halls - but friends house.

parents gone away for the week - we had been practically living there all week - no problems whatsoever until last night

a boy had left a spoon in the microwave with his soup had clicked 40 minutes instead of 4. metal fork caused the microwave to burn a whole in the roof of the microwave - which then set fire to the kitchen wall mounted units above it - guy forgot about soup - we were in the living room - heard a masssive bang and fire alarm almost simultaneusly - went into the kitchen - smoke everywhere, wall units on the floor still burning - even melted the lino floor.

i cant believe we attempted to try and fix it lol. lets just say the guy whose house it was wasnt too happy with my other friend
Flat mate turned garlic bread to charcoal in the microwave
My flat mate put a pitta bread under the girl, positioned it too close to the top, caught fire, flames coming out of the oven and used the fire extunguisher, extinguisher smoke every where, along with powder covering the whole of the kitchen 2 hours later when we allowed back in!
Reply 10
not really a disaster - but my flatmate set off the fire alarm cooking something in the oven, so everyone trekked outside to wait for it to stop - when the fire alarms go off here, the gas on the hobs is automatically switched off - but the oven itself still works.
We finally got back inside to find the kitchen full of smoke, cause, cleverr child hadn't thought to turn off the oven or take the food out before evacuating!
Welshboyomon
My flat mate put a pitta bread under the girl, positioned it too close to the top, caught fire, flames coming out of the oven and used the fire extunguisher, extinguisher smoke every where, along with powder covering the whole of the kitchen 2 hours later when we allowed back in!

Lol :biggrin:
Reply 12
I burnt stir-fry :eek:
Reply 13
One girl was frying onions but had the fire door open so that set the alarm off. Few days later a guy was making a Sunday breakfast, again with fire door open so that set it off. Fire brigade came round the next day to talk to us about keeping our doors shut when cooking.

Girl in my flat then put a sausage roll in the microwave on a plastic plate for five minutes to reheat it. Another flatmate went in to see smoke coming out of the microwave, so held plate out of window to stop fire alarm going off. Plate still has black scorch marks.
Reply 14
I managed to burn some onions really badly.
Reply 15
Absurd
I managed to burn some onions really badly.

lol disaster! :p:
Reply 16
Eidolon
lol disaster! :p:

It was, I had to go out to get some more. :frown:!
Reply 17
Absurd
It was, I had to go out to get some more. :frown:!

Oh :frown: one time I bought eggs and was planning to make a huge chocolate cake... I came back from my lecture to find one of the boys had taken them and used them in a massive fight against LSE... bum
Reply 18
Eidolon
Oh :frown: one time I bought eggs and was planning to make a huge chocolate cake... I came back from my lecture to find one of the boys had taken them and used them in a massive fight against LSE... bum

That wasn't very nice of him, he prevented what could've been a nice university cooking disaster you could have told us about in this thread.

I'm trying to think of some other kitchen disasters, but I haven't had that many here. :erm:
Reply 19
I have another one! One boy wanted to make carrot soup but we didn't have a food processor so he decided to use a potato masher to smush the carrots... then he thought that to make it 'cream of carrot soup' he could just add milk. It looked like vomit :smile: yum

Latest

Trending

Trending