Turn on thread page Beta

waste of time or not?

what do they mean?

they test your short term memory, long long term. you could do hours of revision for weeks and get a high grade, because you can remember the stuff from when u revised til u had the test. but can u remember most of it later?

i.e i got a B in maths. at the time i done the exam (2 1/2 years ago) i knew enough to get a B. give me the test again and ive forgot most of the stuff so would fail. so look at it this way - i got a B for maths, but dont actually know most of the stuff to make use of it. so the B on paper doesnt mean i can do it

same with other subjects. i got CC for science. ive forgot most of it all ready so im like the people who failed: cant do it yet i have a piece of paper sayin i passed but they havnt

we should have a better system, but i cant actually think 1 one to change it to

what do u think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    waste of time or not?

what do they mean?

they test your short term memory, long long term. you could do hours of revision for weeks and get a high grade, because you can remember the stuff from when u revised til u had the test. but can u remember most of it later?

i.e i got a B in maths. at the time i done the exam (2 1/2 years ago) i knew enough to get a B. give me the test again and ive forgot most of the stuff so would fail. so look at it this way - i got a B for maths, but dont actually know most of the stuff to make use of it. so the B on paper doesnt mean i can do it

same with other subjects. i got CC for science. ive forgot most of it all ready so im like the people who failed: cant do it yet i have a piece of paper sayin i passed but they havnt

what do u think

Waste of time, No. Exams must be the easiest and most controlled method of testing people's abilities and understanding

What do they mean? How well someone can cope under pressure and knowledge (apparently, as u argue) of the subject, or their understanding of a subject. If 2 people revise equally, it is unlikely that both will acheive equally good grades because one person might be more intelligent. But no the part about exams testing knowledge is strictly untrue, they dont test your LTM, rather STM. Could they possibly introduce a spontaneous testing system in the future to distinguish the ones who work hard/are intelligent. Thats my opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    However, continuing your logic:

If you understood Maths to a grade B standard 2.5 years ago, the exam certificate shows you have aptitude to that level. Even if you have become deskilled through lack of practice, it shows you can work to a particular standard, and could apply that learning capacity to other aspects of academia or employment.

Although granted, it doesn’t take into account for those who are too lazy to work to their full potential.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that you could be extremely bright and an excellent student but just do not do well in exams. Also exam boards are will not admit to making mistakes with their marking as they do not want to look bad after all the speculation about the 'easy marking' and low grade boundaries so will not often change the grade after a re-mark. I went up ten marks in one of my re-marks but my grade still did not change as I was one mark short. ONE MARK I tell you! They just didn't want to admit to making a mistake. AS english grades were a joke, papers re-marked and called back were covered in comments such as 'well done!' and 'good point' but still the grade remained the same.

There is also the problem now of distinguishing between grades, as people can often get high grades now. Soon the A grade will be meaningless. What will we have then? If percentages were declared instead it would be more productive as it will be more apparent of the persons ability in a certain subject.

ReputationRep:
    In school i managed an A in Chemistry and if i were to sit the same exam now id be doubtful of getting about 20% - i can remember next to nothing of what i studied in school. Exams are the best realistic method of testing ability for large numbers however - there are certainly better methods but they would be too expensive and time consuming to use for all school kids so were stuck with exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    waste of time or not?

what do they mean?

what do u think
    How else are you going to test peopel though, exams are easily instituted and provide a fairly accurate determination of skill. I admit, you may revise most of what you learnt and end up with having many questions on what you did not get around to revising, but for the most part they do their job.

(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    How else are you going to test peopel though, exams are easily instituted and provide a fairly accurate determination of skill. I admit, you may revise most of what you learnt and end up with having many questions on what you did not get around to revising, but for the most part they do their job.
    thats the problem tho. exams dont work to well, but there isnt a good alternative, so were stuck with them.

i h8 exams, mainly b/c i do worse in them than in normal circumstances. last year i done a course at college and passed the exam, and still kno most of thew stuff because i do that kinda thing every day, so im not likely to forget. but back at skool you have to do subjects you have no intention on following up (i.e RE, maths etc) so i have forgot most of the stuff, but i still have the certificate to say i can do them

ReputationRep:
    I think that for short time retention exams are great. But for the tests that really count, they should all be practical. If you can perform then who cares if you know the terminology?

ReputationRep:
    I feel that exams are unrealistic, simply because rarely in the real world are you going to be put in a situation in which you are required to solve something completely individually and without reference materials. For example, in practical writing exams, it seems ridiculous to be grading first-draft essays. A professional writer would never submit anything without being able to edit and revise it first.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.