The Student Room Group

Should I make a programming online course?

I have just finished sixth form and would like to create an online python programming course which is aimed at beginners. On websites such as SkillShare or Udemy this topic is extremely saturated. There are already so many python beginner courses out there. I'm worried that my course will become buried in the noise, and not be found. Does it still make sense for me to create a course for this topic?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hmm, you're right in that the space for generalised beginner courses is very saturated.

Maybe it might help you to focus on a specific application of Python, as in teaching basics of OOP to make a game at the end. That'd give you an edge over those courses that teach bits of syntax or concepts without seeing how it can contribute to a functioning program.

If you are dead-set on doing a generalised beginner course, SoloLearn's Python one is pretty darn solid. It's how I picked the language up after a lockdown of no programming following GCSE.

Whatever type of course you're making if you share it on learning-to-program subs, forums and discords you'll get more attention. I'd be happy to share it once it's done.
(edited 2 years ago)
It'll be very hard to compete with a lot of the resources out there. While Udemy and Skillshare do have a lot of courses on the subject they're not the only sites to offer such courses. YouTube and many other websites (W3Schools, GeekForGeeks, Codeacademy, Kahn Academy etc..) provide a tonne of resources on a plethora of different topics.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm to create a course, but I expect it to be quite difficult.
What is the aim of making this course? If you're just generally trying to provide something online for free then there is no reason not to do so, although bear in mind that your addition may overlap with a lot of other resources.

If you are trying to somehow use this as a platform to start some kind of commercial endeavour then that consideration should be foremost in your mind and you should probably focus on figuring out how to distinguish your "product" from the others (which might include changing what you're making to do something more specific or in a different format).
Reply 4
There is already very good content out there taught by, with respect, people with far more knowledge and industry experience. If this is something to build up a portfolio then fair enough but that aside, I would suggest not to bother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending