The Student Room Group

Taking up a sport. Athletes I need your helppp

One: I think I need to lose weight to tone up my body. So how do I do that?

Two: my diet. I need a well balanced diet so any recommendation for meal ideas? And foods to avoid?
Original post by Anonymous
One: I think I need to lose weight to tone up my body. So how do I do that?

Hi,

How old are you, and how long has it been since you did any significant exercise? If, say, you're in your mid-late 20's (or older) and haven't done anything since school, I would suggest you have a medical before you start (just to be on the safe side).

As the previous poster suggested, you want to start off doing gentle things... Perhaps try walking into the town centre instead of driving or public transport. At the very least you can try walking to a further bus stop. Can also try using stairs instead of a lift. Also try looking on the Internet for light, simple exercises you can do at home (there's been loads posted on Youtube since lockdown). Does your work have Zoom exercise / yoga classes?

Later on, you can join a gym or invest in more exercise equipment. The above won't turn you into Jessica Ennis overnight... but it's a start.

Two: my diet. I need a well balanced diet so any recommendation for meal ideas? And foods to avoid?

A healthy balanced diet typically consists of 60% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 10% fat. You need carbohydrates for fuel for cardiovascular things (e.g. running, swimming etc.) and protein for weights. For carbs, you want to focus more on starch based carbs, as opposed to sugar based carbs, so these are things like rice, potatoes, pasta etc. The best forms of protein are egg whites, followed by chicken. If you're a vegetarian, you may want to consider protein supplements for the best results.

You want to avoid (or at least reduce) trans fats. Unfortunately, this is what's in a lot of the fast foods we love. Personally, I try and eat healthy during the week, but I pig out on the weekend. Also alcohol contains a lot of empty calories (one reason why guys who tend to drink a lot get the beer belly, and it piles on the hips of women).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending