Does anyone evaluation of the following:
-Defence mechanism
-Research methods
Kim J
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Here is something I got off a blog. It can be used on any study that uses the psychodynamic approach in psychology abnormality chapters Eg- little Hans study. Just make sure to include links to the original study while writing your strenghts and weaknesses

Psychodynamic Model

Belief that abnormal behaviour is developed through:

Unhealthy relationships with parents in childhood.
Traumatic experiences that may disrupt our relationships.
Early negative experiences that are stored in our unconscious mind.
Any unmet childhood needs and unsatisfied biological instincts.
Psycho dynamic psychologists believe that if children come fixated with one of the 5 stages of psycho sexual development (Oral, Anal, Phallic, Latency, Genital), it can lead to mental illness in adulthood.

Strengths:

Case studies – the model uses case studies for research, which collect in-dept data and focus on the individual; therefore, the theory can be said to take into account individual differences and is valid.
Influential – the model is one of the most established because of the large amount research carried on it.
Weaknesses:

Not testable – the ‘unconscious’ is not real and does not have any scientific evidence for it, therefore the reliability of the theory is quite low.
Reductionist – the model does not take into account other factors such as emotions,biology or behaviours, which makes less valid.
Gender bias – the model has mainly been tested and focused on men, meaning that the research cannot be generalised to women.
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Along with the above there is practical application in the development of psychotherapy/psychoanalysis and for a weakness, psychic determinism/ignores free will, which is easy to compare with the humanistic approach (same for reductionism mentioned above)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (10)
50%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (2)
10%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
15%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
5%
I haven't started researching yet (1)
5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
15%

Watched Threads