HCPC registration with biochemistry degree

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Awsomedude
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have previously done a" Biological Science - Biochemistry" at Uni of Leicester, graduating summer 2020. I have been exploring my options around my desired career path in being a clinical biochemists and found many ways in becoming one. But all needed a HCPC registration licencse, either a clinical scientist one or a biomedical one. Most clinical biochemist jobs are in the biomedical field, so I would need to do a IBMS accredited masters in Biomedical science at Cov uni, the clinical biochem and immunology pathwag. However I do not know of that is enough for a HCPC registration and would like pointers if possible. Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
Beecar98
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
I don’t think an accredited masters is a substitute for an accredited biomedical science BSc, so I don’t think you will gain HCPC registration with it. I’m not 100% sure tho.

RegisteredBMS might know a bit more
Awsomedude
Rep:
(Original post by Beecar98)
I don’t think an accredited masters is a substitute for an accredited biomedical science BSc, so I don’t think you will gain HCPC registration with it. I’m not 100% sure tho.

RegisteredBMS might know a bit more
Makes sense, another question I have if you could help me with is if I take the masters at cov route, and was fortunate enough to enter the NHS STP, would after upon completing the 3 yr training qualify me for HCPC registration?
Advertisement
Beecar98
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Awsomedude)
Makes sense, another question I have if you could help me with is if I take the masters at cov route, and was fortunate enough to enter the NHS STP, would after upon completing the 3 yr training qualify me for HCPC registration?
Yes, I believe the STP will gain you registration. (Again, not 100% sure but I think so)
Awsomedude
Rep:
Yes, I believe the STP will gain you registration. (Again, not 100% sure but I think so)
Ty for answering my qs.
Advertisement
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
So to address two points.

An IBMS accredited MSc won't substitute a non-IBMS accredited BSc. This is because the MSc will cover more advanced areas, but there'll be gaps in your basic knowledge.

In regards to the STP, yes it will allow you to be registered, but there's an important distinction here. HCPC cover registration for various professions, some as different as a podiatrist or a physiotherapist. The STP will allow you to become a registered Clinical Scientist, but it won't allow you to become a registered Biomedical Scientist. To enter the STP, you only need a 2:1 in a Life Science degree. There's no specification other than 'Life Science' degree. The programme is extremely competitive.
rameezkaan
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Doesn’t the STP registration give you registration for a clinical scientist rather than a biomedical scientist?
Advertisement
Beecar98
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by rameezkaan)
Doesn’t the STP registration give you registration for a clinical scientist rather than a biomedical scientist?
Yes. RegisteredBMS mentioned this in their post
Awsomedude
Rep:
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
So to address two points.

An IBMS accredited MSc won't substitute a non-IBMS accredited BSc. This is because the MSc will cover more advanced areas, but there'll be gaps in your basic knowledge.

In regards to the STP, yes it will allow you to be registered, but there's an important distinction here. HCPC cover registration for various professions, some as different as a podiatrist or a physiotherapist. The STP will allow you to become a registered Clinical Scientist, but it won't allow you to become a registered Biomedical Scientist. To enter the STP, you only need a 2:1 in a Life Science degree. There's no specification other than 'Life Science' degree. The programme is extremely competitive.
Ah i understood both points uve made, ty for the response. I have a question about the IBMS; if i have gaps in the basic knowledge in my Bsc, is it possible for me to find out what modules are missing for the full accred? Is it through direct contact with them or is there a website i can check? Ty in advance
Advertisement
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Awsomedude)
Ah i understood both points uve made, ty for the response. I have a question about the IBMS; if i have gaps in the basic knowledge in my Bsc, is it possible for me to find out what modules are missing for the full accred? Is it through direct contact with them or is there a website i can check? Ty in advance
https://www.ibms.org/resources/docum...ualifications/

It costs £300
somunkhan
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
I have graduated in Biomedical Science from King’s College London. I want to get registered as a BMS in NHS. I am aware that my degree is not IBMS accredited. How can I get an assessment of my degree?
Moreover, after the top up module which i might need. How many years I have to work as an MLA to complete my portfolio?

Thanks
Advertisement
RegisteredBMS
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by somunkhan)
Hi,
I have graduated in Biomedical Science from King’s College London. I want to get registered as a BMS in NHS. I am aware that my degree is not IBMS accredited. How can I get an assessment of my degree?
Moreover, after the top up module which i might need. How many years I have to work as an MLA to complete my portfolio?

Thanks
All the info is above. Don't bump old threads to hijack and ask your own question.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.94%
Note taking apps (5)
2.94%
Flashcards (30)
17.65%
Revision guides (5)
2.94%
Past papers (85)
50%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.53%

Watched Threads