shahmrn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm in Year 12 and it's july. The two courses im stuck between are Linguistics and Geography.

i've been flip flopping between these two for the past two years because they're the subjects im most interested in. for the past month or so ive been set on Linguistics, however after an open day and subject talk on it I've done a 180. I've written pros and cons for both and right now (especially after the open day) geography looks more desirable. it's more diverse, fun and stimulating. linguistics is easier for me to study but its very boring and i dont think id be able to go 3 years with it.

however because ive been so set on linguistics i dont know if im just exaggerating my doubts on it - i dont think i am but im not sure.

any advice for this?
Studentlife04
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by shahmrn)
I'm in Year 12 and it's july. The two courses im stuck between are Linguistics and Geography.

i've been flip flopping between these two for the past two years because they're the subjects im most interested in. for the past month or so ive been set on Linguistics, however after an open day and subject talk on it I've done a 180. I've written pros and cons for both and right now (especially after the open day) geography looks more desirable. it's more diverse, fun and stimulating. linguistics is easier for me to study but its very boring and i dont think id be able to go 3 years with it.

however because ive been so set on linguistics i dont know if im just exaggerating my doubts on it - i dont think i am but im not sure.

any advice for this?
could you possibly try to find a joint honours course?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Have a look at Scottish unis, they tend to have more possible combinations of subjects (and more options for trying a few subjects for a couple of years before deciding what degree to settle on). The degrees are a year longer than other UK degrees, but the added choice is really good for some people who want to try things out to be sure
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
scottish unis are a shout if you're really unsure but if you say you find linguistics boring then i don't think there's any point studying it for 3 years.
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Studying a subject you don't enjoy is brutal. I realised I didn't like the subject I was studying halfway through the course and ended up dropping out the first time I went to Uni (there were loads of other extenuating circumstances that contributed though).

Studying something you enjoy is better because the actual subject of your degree doesn't matter that much once you start looking for jobs. It's just the fact that you have a degree at all that's important most of the time. (unless it's a very specific field like engineering or medicine)
Last edited by Chicken.M.; 2 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Learning a language and/or doing a challenging Year Abroad within a Geography degree may be the way to go.
Geog is a hugely useable degree as it incorporates so many sub-disciplines and spans Humanities, Social Science, pure Science etc, and you can develop you ow n personal interests as you progress through the degree. Employers like Geog grads because of this versatility.

Examples -
Leeds - https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/geog...al-year-abroad
Manchester - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...ational-study/
KCL - https://blogs.kcl.ac.uk/kingssas/tag/singapore/
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

any advice for this?
Hey Shahmrn,

I was in a very similar situation to you when I was in Year 12 - although at the time my choice was between Law and History and I now study Politics and International Relations.

I see you are already attending some Open Days and that is amazing - keep going, go to as many as you can get to in the next few months but failing that there are other methods of finding out information about the course at different universities. As much research you can do the better.

Firstly have a look at the content of the different modules you may be studying at each University - geography at one University might be vastly different from geography at another depending on the lecturers the University has. At Hull you can do this by using our Ask A Student feature and speak to a geography student at Hull who can give you a proper insight into what its like. Another tool that I use is to google [email protected]"UniversityName" and then searching for the modules if the University lists them on their website - this might give you a detailed look at the reading required every week and should be current and up to date (I still use this for choosing my module options each year). Ultimately you have to pick the content that interests you the most and is what you might find the most enjoyable to study for 3 years - you will get more out of it.

Secondly, whilst you are visiting different Universities, do spend some time having a look at the local area and seeing if that is somewhere you want to live for three years. Open Days aren't just a chance to see the University and the lecturers - but also where it is in the country you will be and I often find that a proper visit can resolve that for you - as you have found with your Open Day.

I have included some links below to our geography course at Hull University as well as a link to some of our current and former geography students so you can ask them more course related questions.

Geography: https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/geography
Ask A Student Kerry: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share
Ask A Student Kaiah: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share

Good luck with your decision and as someone who did come back into University 4 years later - do not worry about it too much. If you need to take time to work out what is right for you, that is okay to do so.

I hope that helps,
Isaac
University of Hull Representative
shahmrn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Studentlife04)
could you possibly try to find a joint honours course?
I've searched up a joint honours between them and there's none - which isn't necessarily bad news lol because I don't think I'd be able to juggle both. But I've definitely searched for them.
shahmrn
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Learning a language and/or doing a challenging Year Abroad within a Geography degree may be the way to go.
Geog is a hugely useable degree as it incorporates so many sub-disciplines and spans Humanities, Social Science, pure Science etc, and you can develop you ow n personal interests as you progress through the degree. Employers like Geog grads because of this versatility.

Examples -
Leeds - https://environment.leeds.ac.uk/geog...al-year-abroad
Manchester - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...ational-study/
KCL - https://blogs.kcl.ac.uk/kingssas/tag/singapore/
This is the route I've been thinking of taking. I'm pretty sure I'll take geography but I'm definitely still interested in languages, however I think I'll keep it as a hobby and my own personal interest type thing instead of pursuing a degree in it. Thanks for the links
shahmrn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Hull Students)
Hey Shahmrn,

I was in a very similar situation to you when I was in Year 12 - although at the time my choice was between Law and History and I now study Politics and International Relations.

I see you are already attending some Open Days and that is amazing - keep going, go to as many as you can get to in the next few months but failing that there are other methods of finding out information about the course at different universities. As much research you can do the better.

Firstly have a look at the content of the different modules you may be studying at each University - geography at one University might be vastly different from geography at another depending on the lecturers the University has. At Hull you can do this by using our Ask A Student feature and speak to a geography student at Hull who can give you a proper insight into what its like. Another tool that I use is to google [email protected]"UniversityName" and then searching for the modules if the University lists them on their website - this might give you a detailed look at the reading required every week and should be current and up to date (I still use this for choosing my module options each year). Ultimately you have to pick the content that interests you the most and is what you might find the most enjoyable to study for 3 years - you will get more out of it.

Secondly, whilst you are visiting different Universities, do spend some time having a look at the local area and seeing if that is somewhere you want to live for three years. Open Days aren't just a chance to see the University and the lecturers - but also where it is in the country you will be and I often find that a proper visit can resolve that for you - as you have found with your Open Day.

I have included some links below to our geography course at Hull University as well as a link to some of our current and former geography students so you can ask them more course related questions.

Geography: https://www.hull.ac.uk/faculties/subjects/geography
Ask A Student Kerry: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share
Ask A Student Kaiah: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/universit...Position=share

Good luck with your decision and as someone who did come back into University 4 years later - do not worry about it too much. If you need to take time to work out what is right for you, that is okay to do so.

I hope that helps,
Isaac
University of Hull Representative
Thank you for this reply and the links you've provided. It's nice to know people are / were in the same position as me, and I'll definitely keep going to open days since that's what changed my mind about linguistics
shahmrn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chicken.M.)
Studying a subject you don't enjoy is brutal. I realised I didn't like the subject I was studying halfway through the course and ended up dropping out the first time I went to Uni (there were loads of other extenuating circumstances that contributed though).

Studying something you enjoy is better because the actual subject of your degree doesn't matter that much once you start looking for jobs. It's just the fact that you have a degree at all that's important most of the time. (unless it's a very specific field like engineering or medicine)
Thanks for this reply. I definitely don't want to be studying something that I find boring already
shahmrn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Have a look at Scottish unis, they tend to have more possible combinations of subjects (and more options for trying a few subjects for a couple of years before deciding what degree to settle on). The degrees are a year longer than other UK degrees, but the added choice is really good for some people who want to try things out to be sure
Thanks for this suggestion but I'm not considering Scotland atm (parents lol :/)
CelineK17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would go with your heart
Last edited by CelineK17; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
linguistics is easier for me to study but its very boring and i dont think id be able to go 3 years with it.
I think this is your answer. If you think it's boring now, it's hard to imagine you'll be able to push through when it's not only potentially boring, but also difficult to boot (i.e. when you start doing some of the more "hardcore" theory in syntax and semantics/pragmatics)!

At the risk of causing more uncertainty by introducing a new subject into the mix, have you considered anthropology? A lot of the more "applied" aspects of linguistics can be relevant or touched upon in the course (relating to sociolinguistics and also some elements of semantics, mainly semiotics), and a lot of the "human geography" type topics also overlap with what is covered in an anthropology course. It might let you pursue the elements of both degrees you find interesting in one subject! Of course it might be the parts of the two courses you aren't interested in as well but, maybe worth considering as a course that's in-between the two?
shahmrn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I think this is your answer. If you think it's boring now, it's hard to imagine you'll be able to push through when it's not only potentially boring, but also difficult to boot (i.e. when you start doing some of the more "hardcore" theory in syntax and semantics/pragmatics)!

At the risk of causing more uncertainty by introducing a new subject into the mix, have you considered anthropology? A lot of the more "applied" aspects of linguistics can be relevant or touched upon in the course (relating to sociolinguistics and also some elements of semantics, mainly semiotics), and a lot of the "human geography" type topics also overlap with what is covered in an anthropology course. It might let you pursue the elements of both degrees you find interesting in one subject! Of course it might be the parts of the two courses you aren't interested in as well but, maybe worth considering as a course that's in-between the two?
Thank you for this response. I had ventured off into sociology and anthropology at one point but I'd never really considered how both linguistics and geography were part of it, so thanks for this insight. I've finished my first draft of my personal statement on geography so it's safe to say I'm pretty secure on that decision.

Thanks to everyone else for giving me advice too it's been really helpful in making me feel confident in my choice !
HashBrowns
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Linguistics is easier to get into oxbridge for. Go for prestigious unis if you can i feel. Degree subject may be less important if you study at somewhere like UCL for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads