The Student Room Group

Deciding between BA Fine Art vs BA History?

Hi, I am a current Year 13 student and am taking a gap year doing an Art Foundation at Kingston School of Art, and am unsure about what I want to apply for in the coming (2022) UCAS cycle.

For background, at the beginning of Year 13 I was pretty set on History and in the 2021 cycle I applied for History at Oxford, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Exeter and Nottingham with triple A* predictions, and got offers from all except Oxford. In January (after being rejected by Oxford), I just decided to apply for an Art Foundation in the spur of the moment and told myself that if I got an offer I would take it and defer my History place. Only Notts ended up letting me defer my place so I decided I might reapply to see if the others would give me an offer again in 2022 (not Oxford though as I just don't think it's worth reapplying). I also feel relatively secure in my grades as two subjects have given me my marks back and I think they should both be A*s.

I always struggled with deciding what I wanted to study and am now having doubts about whether I want to study History or Fine Art and was just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and has any advice (or just any advice full stop)?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aniwah
Hi, I am a current Year 13 student and am taking a gap year doing an Art Foundation at Kingston School of Art, and am unsure about what I want to apply for in the coming (2022) UCAS cycle.

For background, at the beginning of Year 13 I was pretty set on History and in the 2021 cycle I applied for History at Oxford, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Exeter and Nottingham with triple A* predictions, and got offers from all except Oxford. In January (after being rejected by Oxford), I just decided to apply for an Art Foundation in the spur of the moment and told myself that if I got an offer I would take it and defer my History place. Only Notts ended up letting me defer my place so I decided I might reapply to see if the others would give me an offer again in 2022 (not Oxford though as I just don't think it's worth reapplying). I also feel relatively secure in my grades as two subjects have given me my marks back and I think they should both be A*s.

I always struggled with deciding what I wanted to study and am now having doubts about whether I want to study History or Fine Art and was just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation and has any advice (or just any advice full stop)?

I don't know that anyone will be able to help you decide between History or Fine Art - it's a very personal decision which subject you prefer and you also need to think about careers at the end of it. A small number of unis do combined degrees in Fine Art and Art History if that appeals at all (such as Leeds & Goldsmiths) - many others do Art History but that may not appeal to you I don't know. From the small amount you have written you do not seem to be that passionate about Art so if that is really the case it may be better to focus on History.
When Open Days restart in the autumn, go to as many as you can and book up for several different subject talks at each Uni.
This will show you exactly what each subject involves/covers at degree level, and allow you to make a more informed decision.

You have until Jan 2022 to put in your UCAS application so you have lots of time to consider all sorts of options - joint subject degrees, Liberal Arts etc.
The Foundation year is a good gap year option whilst you think about what to do next - nowhere does it say that you can only apply to Uni straight from school, and for most people an extra year away from school is an important moment to gain confidence, rethink stuff and look at life more long-term than just rushing straight to Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending