feeling depressed with the UCAT

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
i am unable to study for the UCAT. I find it so mentally draining. this is my third time sitting the exam for grad med. I'm working all week next week and I just don't know where to fit in the time to study. I just can't do it. every-time i open medify, I just sit and look at my screen. I'm really burnt out. any advice?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What have been your weak points in the past?
When is your exam?

becausethenight should this thread stay put or be moved (sorry, I’m not sure if MH falls into your remit? Edit: nvm it doesn’t, apologies for the tag )
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 2 months ago
roadtomed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i am unable to study for the UCAT. I find it so mentally draining. this is my third time sitting the exam for grad med. I'm working all week next week and I just don't know where to fit in the time to study. I just can't do it. every-time i open medify, I just sit and look at my screen. I'm really burnt out. any advice?
Hi, this is my third time sitting the UCAT as a grad med as well. I know the feeling, especially trying to fit in studying whilst working! After a 12 hour shift at the hospital, the last thing I want to do it UCAT prep given the intensive nature of the exam.

Take a break
If you feel like you can't study, staring blankly at the screen, take a break. Come back to it when you're ready. Taking a break and revisiting it later is better than sitting there and working yourself up about not getting anything done.

Go for a run
Whenever I feel stressed or cannot concentrate, I would go for a run which helps to reduce stress and clears my brain fog. Studies have shown that exercise helps improve concentration and overall cognitive function (so there's some science to back this up).

UCAT and work
Trying to study between work can be difficult, I get that. I either wake up early and get a couple of hours revision in before work or after work, I would go for a quick run, have a shower and start UCAT prep. This is easier said than done as the struggle is real sometimes. The hardest part is sitting down and getting started. For getting started, I use the 2-minute rule. This is where I sit down and tell myself that I will practice a particular strategy or question type for 2 minutes. I often find that I continue for more than 2 minutes after seeing progress or having this momentum.

You can also try the Pomodoro technique to help get studying done. I personally found that 45 mins of work and 15 mins break was too short and frequently taking breaks interrupted my momentum and workflow. I typically do 90 mins work and 15 mins break. Only you will know what works best for you.

Create daily goals! Plan out what you want to study or achieve the night before. Having a goal for each session will alleviate stress as each day will feel purposeful. This wouldn't take long, just take a few minutes the night before reflecting on your weaknesses, write it down on a post-it note and leave it on your desk ( Tip: Do the subset/question type that you're most afraid of !).

Don't doubt yourself. As a graduate, you've coped with stressful deadlines, the pressures of high workloads from your previous degree and you graduated! Remember to be proud of how far you've come and trust the process, it'll be worth it !
sunshine11111
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Listen ask yourself DO I REALLY WANT TO DO MEDICINE ? Is this one stupid exam going to let you down ? NOO.
im 17 and im applying to medicine too and im sitting the ucat,in the beginning i was so worried and scared of this exam,but after i researched the POINT of this exam i started to see the skills in it and how it will help us as future doctors. When you look at it in a positive manner and remove all the negatives you will do better. Think about each section and maybe even read about them and how they prepare us for better doctors,e.g as a doctor you have sooo much paper work but you need to be quick and so skimming and finding the important information you need is vital (this is for verbal reasoning). Also be competitive with yourself, i know this sounds dumb ! Always challenge yourself to beat the next score and the next highest score you got,make it fun for yourself. Come on,one day your going to be on the wards treating patients hopefully and you will look back at this and say thank god i didnt give up there. YOU CAN DO THIS !!!!
jgyiamh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi guys. i have my ucat exam in 15 days and i’m still scoring around 600 in each section (but band 1 sjt).i’ve been preparing for a month and i need some reassurance that there’s still enough time for me to improve considerably. i also need some tips on dealing with time pressures in qr and ar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads