The Student Room Group

Cambridge Part iii MASt applicants 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by th0m11
[Not a 2022 applicant, just have a question I would like to ask.]

I'm in my third year of four studying at a Russell group uni (not Oxbridge) wanting to apply for the MAst in Pure maths next year. I'm wondering what my chances are.
I underperformed in my first two years (74.58% and 73.50%, respectively - these percentages are 75.00% and 75.50% when ignoring non-pure modules), I hope to get 80+% this year.

My question is this: If I do well this year, will my first two grades still be too much to overlook? If so, what if I also achieved 80+% in my fourth year?

[I have been awarded a pretty competitive undergrad research bursary, which may improve my chances, I also have good A-levels - if they care about that sort of thing.]

I'm sure there isn't a straight answer, I will appreciate any responses. Thanks for your time :smile:

As I understand, you will be completing a four-year course before going to Part III? I think this background may bring some benefits, considering many applicants have only done a 3-year bachelor's. Still, try to hit that 80%, and talk about the research experience in your CV, and with these I believe you would stand a good chance!
Current University and current course: Bsc Hons in Mathematics at University of Manchester
Prospective Course: Part III for Pure Mathematics
Prospective Colleges:
Current University Grades: 85/100
Any research experience/valuable information: All optional courses selected lie in Pure Mathematics

I am looking for advice on how respected my degree can be in the competitive Part III applications. As you see I study Maths at a non-COWI university and according to my online search among maths programs in those universities, I will not have the chance to study their Y3 modules in my Bachelor's (such as Galois Theory, Representation Theory, Measure Theory, Manifolds, etc). Does this mean that I am well-underprepared for Part III and that I should not apply? Do I have chances for an offer with my stats?
Thank you.
Original post by kotshinos
Current University and current course: Bsc Hons in Mathematics at University of Manchester
Prospective Course: Part III for Pure Mathematics
Prospective Colleges:
Current University Grades: 85/100
Any research experience/valuable information: All optional courses selected lie in Pure Mathematics

I am looking for advice on how respected my degree can be in the competitive Part III applications. As you see I study Maths at a non-COWI university and according to my online search among maths programs in those universities, I will not have the chance to study their Y3 modules in my Bachelor's (such as Galois Theory, Representation Theory, Measure Theory, Manifolds, etc). Does this mean that I am well-underprepared for Part III and that I should not apply? Do I have chances for an offer with my stats?
Thank you.

Depends what you want to do, but if you eg. want to do measure theoretic probability but didn't take measure theory undergrad, or algebra courses with no algebra beyond what's in Part IB Groups Rings Modules, I would think the person assessing your application would get concerned since this would have to be caught up with before you start Part III. Either you'll have to commit to a lot of independent work or you should do a masters at Manchester (or somewhere whose courses lies between Manchester and Cambridge since your grades are very good) and then go back to Part III if you want to. (at that point I'd just start a PhD personally but there are people who do this)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _gcx
Depends what you want to do, but if you eg. want to do measure theoretic probability but didn't take measure theory undergrad, or algebra courses with no algebra beyond what's in Part IB Groups Rings Modules, I would think the person assessing your application would get concerned since this would have to be caught up with before you start Part III. Either you'll have to commit to a lot of independent work or you should do a masters at Manchester (or somewhere whose courses lies between Manchester and Cambridge since your grades are very good) and then go back to Part III if you want to. (at that point I'd just start a PhD personally but there are people who do this)

That is great advice, thank you !
(I have a particular interest in Analysis and I will probably work on the field of Number Theory in the future)
Original post by rm2222
Current University and current course: Queen's University Belfast and BSc Mathematics
Prospective Course: MASt in pure mathematics, probably will focus on Analytic NT/ arithmetic combinatorics
Prospective Colleges: Pembroke and Peterhouse
Current University Grades: slightly over 80% in 2nd year
Any research experience/valuable information: research under a postdoc in Oxford in number theory, attended a few research conferences/workshops/seminars, gave a talk at an undergraduate conference and a poster presentation at an international conference.Did a third-year module in my second year in pure maths. Got funding for conference participation.
Also, was a board member of a science outreach organisation where we invited notable scientists to talk about their work. :smile:

Application timeline:

- Submitted: 18 October 2021
- Under Review by the Department: 26 October 2021

are you in mate? when did the application updates occur?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending