Turn on thread page Beta

Wondering? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do universities have to pick a certain number of state school students for each course?
    So like if they need to have at least 50% state school on a course would they pick a state school applicant over a pvt school applicant if they had already picked all the pvt school ones they were allowed to have? This last sentence doesn't make much sense does it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no, they don't have to. I imagine the only universities with anywhere near more than 50% private school students are Oxbridge/lse/imperial ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    No but the government will take away their funding if the university is taking on alot of public school dudes and dudettes. Bristol and Edinburgh are discriminating against public schools..because they suck. Well actually not Edinburgh they rock. Edinburgo all the way. Thanking you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    no, they don't have to. I imagine the only universities with anywhere near more than 50% private school students are Oxbridge/lse/imperial ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Edinburgh and St andrews are mid 40's

ReputationRep:
    I don't think uni's select people like that, they select a bit of both who ever qualifies.

ReputationRep:
    I should have known Public School Ann would be the first to reply to this thread lol. Any way, does anybody know if it says on our applications whether its state or private blatantly?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    No, but they can always find out easily enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxox)
    I should have known Public School Ann would be the first to reply to this thread lol. Any way, does anybody know if it says on our applications whether its state or private blatantly?
    I was second!
    But anyway I doesnt stae obviously what type of school you went to does it?
    Although it could be worked out very easily
    eg name of school- Cheltenham Ladies College,erm yeah
    percentage of 6th formers progressing onto HE
    and erm pony club in personal statement.
    But who cares lets not be bitter,you get what you deserve and the universities know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
    But who cares lets not be bitter,you get what you deserve and the universities know that.
    if only!! .. well you have no idea how lucky you are...its hard not to be bitter sometimes .. :bebored:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that on the same page as your reference your school has to indicate what type of school it is, so the universities do know whether you went to a private, comprehensive, grammar etc.

ReputationRep:
    Your school does indicate what it is, and school names often give the gme away. There aren't official quotas, but the government does want to increase state school kids in university which MAY lead to some discrimination against private school candidates. A bias towards either is unfair IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    Ever considered State School pupils could actually be brighter than Private school ones :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Of course, there are many state school pupils who are brighter than private school students..thats not to say there aren't brighter pupils at private schools though. (I have been educated through the state school system)

ReputationRep:
    Im at a state school (one thats falling apart literally ready to collapse) yet the school got some of the best grades in the area. I got the second best grades you could get in 5th year (AAAAB) which is the same for a mate whos at a private school.

Besides, if unis like Edinburgh look at your social background, why is it an disadvantage to Private School pupils? I dont see why. If Private School are so good, everyone should achieve thes best results possible so worrying should not be a problem.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.