The Student Room Group

What are the Russell Group about? Why are they popular?

I've looked online and there seems to be a whole bunch of explanations about what the Rusell Group actually is, however, most of them use the term 'research' to describe the Universities. I am also curious to know why exactly they are popular and whether or not they are as prestigious as they claim to be.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Oceanwater
I've looked online and there seems to be a whole bunch of explanations about what the Rusell Group actually is, however, most of them use the term 'research' to describe the Universities. I am also curious to know why exactly they are popular and whether or not they are as prestigious as they claim to be.

The Russell Group is a lobby group for research funding.

it is true that lots of the traditionally considered prestigious universities are members but it is certainly not all members, and their are of course prestigious & excellent nonRG unis.

it is basically a very lazy way of assuming prestige, unfortunately it’s been perpetrated by enough people that it’s stuck, and Russell Group universities of course are happy to be labeled prestigious.
Basically being a RG uni is an incredibly vague and unreliable measure for some employers to decide if graduates are 'good enough' for them. There are a number of non-RG universities which out-rank RG uni's so it's quite apparant it's more of a cliquey club for certain universities. As a rule of thumb, going to a RG university is better in terms of job prospects but if you find a better course elsewhere then don't blindly apply to RG uni's just for sake of it.
It’s a self proclaimed group of universities in the UK that lobbied successive governments for increases in fees, which it got. UK students and schools frequently assume that membership of this group is synonymous with higher quality degrees and teaching. The majority of people over thirty in the UK don’t seem to have heard of it or even know if they attended one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending