The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Sticky glue-ey: International-schminternational?

Hey!
So I'm really psyched to do exchange at Warwick next spring--I wanna do everything there -Running club, one world week, shopping, painting, walking around, going to a real castle, on-campus recruiting, the list goes on...

anyway, I'm at wharton/Penn in philadelphia now, and Im looking for answers to any/all of the following:
1) how the city life compares(?)
2) what things are noticeably harder for international students (jobs, requirements for anything, etc.)

3) what are the top things NOT to miss/experience?
4) are there any clique-ey groups to join?/or stay far away from whilst there...?

thanks!

-shannon
Americangirl06
Hey!
So I'm really psyched to do exchange at Warwick next spring--I wanna do everything there -Running club, one world week, shopping, painting, walking around, going to a real castle, on-campus recruiting, the list goes on...

anyway, I'm at wharton/Penn in philadelphia now, and Im looking for answers to any/all of the following:
1) how the city life compares(?)
2) what things are noticeably harder for international students (jobs, requirements for anything, etc.)

3) what are the top things NOT to miss/experience?
4) are there any clique-ey groups to join?/or stay far away from whilst there...?

thanks!

-shannon

Larpers.

******' weird.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Larpers. ok.

**smiles, nods**

**gets on google**
Reply 3
Hi, I've only been here 4 weeks but to help you on your way:
1) Obviously Warwick really isn't a city university - societies, sports clubs etc revolve around the campus, and for the first year at least Cov / Leam seem like places to go out to, rather than places that constitute a big part of day to day life. Obviously, this could change when you move off campus.

2) The international students I've met (mostly Europeans or Asians; there's a guy from Wisconsin who lives downstairs) don't seem to have had any problems settling in. Honestly, if you can speak English, the only problems I can really imagine are getting your stuff here and keeping in touch with home - neither of which are big problems in the long term.

3) Would definitely join at least one sport club, which you already have planned, as they're a great way to meet people and go out to Leamington / Coventry etc. Snow tour is supposed to be great fun, although it might be expensive. Plenty of other things to dip your toe into - there are fairs etc. that detail everything like that.

4) All I can think of is that the cheerleading team has a reputation for only picking from its own - i.e, freshers are rejected in favour of existing members so they only really get involved in the social side. Just heard that from a friend though. Otherwise, I can't really think of anything you should avoid.
Reply 4
Cheerleading team? i didn't know Warwick had them! wow. Maybe it wont be so different.
Reply 5
Americangirl06
Cheerleading team? i didn't know Warwick had them! wow. Maybe it wont be so different.

Sure - cheerleading, American football, more than one running club - there's loads of stuff to do. According to the American downstairs, the American football is great fun, even if most of the people here are beginners. He tends to keep himself to himself, mostly hanging out with his girlfriend (also at Warwick), but I reckon he'd integrate easily if he fancied it.
Reply 6
smooth3k
Sure - cheerleading, American football, more than one running club - there's loads of stuff to do. According to the American downstairs, the American football is great fun, even if most of the people here are beginners. He tends to keep himself to himself, mostly hanging out with his girlfriend (also at Warwick), but I reckon he'd integrate easily if he fancied it.

Nooo...i was hoping to get away from some of that...

anyway, I've never understood football.

and why is the American downstairs? crap, they're going to put me in the basement!
**re-checks accommodation app to make sure i did not sign up for a cupboard under the stairs**
Reply 7
Americangirl06
Nooo...i was hoping to get away from some of that...

anyway, I've never understood football.

and why is the American downstairs? crap, they're going to put me in the basement!
**re-checks accommodation app to make sure i did not sign up for a cupboard under the stairs**

Lol halls of residences have many floors, no student are put in the basement! I was on the ground floor in my first year, pretty much ideal because the exit is only two seconds away.

One World Week is really good fun, loads of events. Definitely get involved with that, you'll get to meet students from loads of different places. Warwick Snow is apparently a society not to miss out on, you could also get involved with the Boar (the University newspaper) or RaW (the University radio). Warwick Hitch is another good one where you get to hitch-hike to morocco, prague etc. Always go check what film/concert is on at the Warwick arts center to see if there's anything you might be interested in. If you play an instrument, join the Big Band.

I did a business module last year, and was put into the same group as an american from calfiornia I think. He spent his time really well here: he went to dublin, belfast, warwick castle, Startford-Upon-Avon and London. But he also took the oppurtunity to visit places in continental Europe during the holidays (Paris, Barcelona, Zurich, Vienna and many others). I suggest you do the same, you won't regret it! Maybe you could organise trips with your future hallmates?

What's hard for international students: like smooth3k just said, if you speak english fluently there's not much to worry about. Maybe getting used to the whole "binge drinking culture" might be a bit hard at first but apart from that everything should go well.

Wow that was longer than I expected...
Reply 8
Krush
If you play an instrument, join the Big Band.

ha, yeah right.

traveling is a def. yes though...and I think I find out accommodation in December?

**hopes some Arthur vick ppl will drop out(?)** :smile:
Reply 9
One main thing to bear in mind:

English uni's will be on a much, much smaller scale than anywhere in the States & so you might come to Warwick and think: is this it??

The phrase 'campus uni' applied to the US summons up in me images of large well-organised student societies, with a fair bit of funding behind them & plenty of cliques (maybe that's just too many films....)

There just isn't the numbers for that in Warwick. It's a small site, 3 miles from the town of Coventry (not a very wealthy area) and a good 8 miles/ 2 bus rides to the famous Warwick castle (Warwick uni isn't in Warwick town).

Sports clubs and other societies, tend for the most part to be quite small - most sport teams will have ~30ppl regularly attending social events but that does mean you can get to know everyone well.

Yes there is some sort of an american football club and cheerleading squad at Warwick uni but it is absolutely nothing like the ones in the States in terms of mentality/ size/ competitions etc so don't worry, you'll be completely away from that!

Just bear in mind that if you want a busier, more dynamic, city-type environment, the London uni's might offer more of that.
oceane
One main thing to bear in mind:

English uni's will be on a much, much smaller scale than anywhere in the States & so you might come to Warwick and think: is this it??

The phrase 'campus uni' applied to the US summons up in me images of large well-organised student societies, with a fair bit of funding behind them & plenty of cliques (maybe that's just too many films....)

There just isn't the numbers for that in Warwick. It's a small site, 3 miles from the town of Coventry (not a very wealthy area) and a good 8 miles/ 2 bus rides to the famous Warwick castle (Warwick uni isn't in Warwick town).

Sports clubs and other societies, tend for the most part to be quite small - most sport teams will have ~30ppl regularly attending social events but that does mean you can get to know everyone well.

Yes there is some sort of an american football club and cheerleading squad at Warwick uni but it is absolutely nothing like the ones in the States in terms of mentality/ size/ competitions etc so don't worry, you'll be completely away from that!

Just bear in mind that if you want a busier, more dynamic, city-type environment, the London uni's might offer more of that.

No, Im actually looking forward to getting away from the city life for once! (my hometown is right by a major city, and now im in philadelphia)
so this should be cool, a good experience. And i can always go to london on the weekends!

also-- random question: do they sell space heaters locally?

thanks!!
Reply 11
Americangirl06
also-- random question: do they sell space heaters locally?
Probably, although why do you need one? The rooms have radiators. (Or, at least, mine did!)
Kolya
Probably, although why do you need one? The rooms have radiators. (Or, at least, mine did!)

So it lets you manually control how warm your room is? (I like my room really hot-- like 75+ degrees :smile:

when i used to live on campus here, the dorm heaters were really bad-- 1) not warm enough, and 2) they would switch on only late in the fall and switch off only when it was summer-hot outside...the timing was annoying
Reply 13
Americangirl06
So it lets you manually control how warm your room is? (I like my room really hot-- like 75+ degrees
I can only speak for my accommodation (in AV) but there was no control. However, the room temperature usually erred on the warmer side, and so I could control the warmth by opening/closing the window. During the winter, I think people even asked for it to be turned down a little, as it was extremely hot, even with the window wide open.
Reply 14
Americangirl06
So it lets you manually control how warm your room is? (I like my room really hot-- like 75+ degrees :smile:

Was going to flip out but then I remember you were probably speaking in fahrenheit....

We use degrees celsius over here. 75 celsius is 170 degrees fahrenheit... !

Running club~ awesome, look foward to meeting/drinking/running with you..
Chrrye
Was going to flip out but then I remember you were probably speaking in fahrenheit....

We use degrees celsius over here. 75 celsius is 170 degrees fahrenheit... !

hehe yeah, definitely in fahrenheight!
i still need to learn celsius before i go though, i'll add that to my to-do list...

also, my study-abroad advisors here said not to fly into Dublin airport to get to London.
Does anyone know why that is? something w/immigration??
Chrrye

and on the subject of running club-- i will admit to being a nerd and already checking online to map out the best runs around campus... :o:

Latest