The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Study Nursing Associate - Making a career in Nursing accessible

Starting a career in Nursing has never been easier. With the new job role of Nursing Associate, aspiring Nurses can start their careers with just a two-year degree.

Our FdSc Nursing Associate foundation degree shares many of the same great things our BSc in Nursing does, such as placements at prestigious London hospitals and teaching in our state-of-the-art Clinical Simulation Labs. We've just purchased one of the world's most innovative simulation mannequins, SimMan, and we're the first university in Europe to have one.

We still have places available to study Nursing Associate this September, you can apply at: https://www.uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fdsc-nursing-associate-direct-apply

Our amazing Nursing team are on hand to answer any questions people have about studying at the University of East London.

FAQs

What careers does the Foundation Degree lead to?
Our two-year Foundation Degree is a great way to get into a career in Nursing and after completion you could be earning up to £25,000 a year as a registered Nursing Associate working in the NHS.

Can I top-up to a BSc afterwards?
On completion of the foundation degree, those with the required marks can progress on to a top-up to achieve a BSc in Adult Nursing. This takes around 18 months extra study on top of the two year foundation degree. Our department are on help to support you every step of the way.

Am I still eligible for Student Finance?
Students on our Foundation Degree can apply for student finance like any other undergraduate degree. The same eligibility rules apply. There are often extra incentives and grants on offer, including £1,000 towards travel costs.
Hi Everybody,

I hope you are all well. Please feel free to post questions or queries regarding Nursing Associate programme on this forum. We are here to discuss, support and guide you. This is a fantastic opportunity to contact, share and discuss with the Nursing Team about FdSc Nursing Associate foundation degree

Looking forward to reading you.

Xabi
(He/Him)
Xabi Cathala
Senior Lecturer
Admission Lead for Nursing department
Library, University of East London
London
Visit website
Why would someone choose to do a nursing associates over a nursing degree?

From what I understand, nursing associates have a very similar role to band 5 nurses, however they are typically band 4. There is very little room for career progression without further study, most end up going back to university to become registered nurses.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
Why would someone choose to do a nursing associates over a nursing degree?

From what I understand, nursing associates have a very similar role to band 5 nurses, however they are typically band 4. There is very little room for career progression without further study, most end up going back to university to become registered nurses.

Thank you for your post. FdSc Nursing associate has some differences from BSc Nursing degree. The first is that Nursing Associate can practice within the 4 fields of Nursing (Adult, Children, Learning Disability and Mental Health) which give you flexibility and experience in the different fields. Therefore a wider range of knowledge and skills across the fields. It is also a good opportunity to start in the healthcare system, especially if you have no experience in healthcare. It is easier to access if you do not have the entry requirements for BSc. It is also shorter 2 years instead of 3 years. Regarding the career progression, either way with FdSc Nursing Associate or BSc Nursing degree you will probably have to go back to university at some point. More and more band 6 and certainly band 7 positions require further study. FdSc Nursing Associate give you strong knowledge and skills to progress in your career.

I hope this helps.

Xabi
(He/Him)
Xabi Cathala
Senior Lecturer
Reply 4
Original post by University of East London
Starting a career in Nursing has never been easier. With the new job role of Nursing Associate, aspiring Nurses can start their careers with just a two-year degree.

Our FdSc Nursing Associate foundation degree shares many of the same great things our BSc in Nursing does, such as placements at prestigious London hospitals and teaching in our state-of-the-art Clinical Simulation Labs. We've just purchased one of the world's most innovative simulation mannequins, SimMan, and we're the first university in Europe to have one.

We still have places available to study Nursing Associate this September, you can apply at: https://www.uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fdsc-nursing-associate-direct-apply

Our amazing Nursing team are on hand to answer any questions people have about studying at the University of East London.

FAQs

What careers does the Foundation Degree lead to?
Our two-year Foundation Degree is a great way to get into a career in Nursing and after completion you could be earning up to £25,000 a year as a registered Nursing Associate working in the NHS.

Can I top-up to a BSc afterwards?
On completion of the foundation degree, those with the required marks can progress on to a top-up to achieve a BSc in Adult Nursing. This takes around 18 months extra study on top of the two year foundation degree. Our department are on help to support you every step of the way.

Am I still eligible for Student Finance?
Students on our Foundation Degree can apply for student finance like any other undergraduate degree. The same eligibility rules apply. There are often extra incentives and grants on offer, including £1,000 towards travel costs.

Hi, if one were to complete the nursing associate course, and want to top up to a bachelors (taking 3.5 years total) , would you need to fund the the top up yourself or could you apply with student finance?
Original post by Ami3912
Hi, if one were to complete the nursing associate course, and want to top up to a bachelors (taking 3.5 years total) , would you need to fund the the top up yourself or could you apply with student finance?

Hi there, you can contact our fees and funding team (https://www.uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/advice-and-guidance) who will be able to advise you on what options are available to you to fund a future top-up. Most times you can cover this with student finance.
Imperial College Healthcare has launched a sponsored nursing associate programme in partnership with the University of East London, Buckinghamshire New University and The Open University. The programme aims to give members of the local community the opportunity to begin a nursing career at the trust while developing the nursing workforce.

Successful applicants to the programme will undertake a two year UCAS entry nursing associate programme and gain the chance to undertake their nursing associate placements at one of Imperial College Healthcare Trust’s hospitals, and associated community partners, with dedicated support from their nursing education team.

The first group of successful applicants will start the programme in October 2021. The successful applicants will benefit from fully funded second year tuition fees. This also comes with a guaranteed offer of a registered nursing associate post at one of Imperial College Healthcare Trust’s hospitals when they complete the programme and the opportunity to work on their bank as a healthcare support worker during the programme.

To be eligible to apply for this opportunity, you must live within one of the following London boroughs which are local to our hospitals:
Hammersmith and Fulham, Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, Brent, Harrow, Ealing

To apply, please follow the normal application process, stating that you are interested in this opportunity in your personal statement. https://www.uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fdsc-nursing-associate-direct-apply

Read More:
https://www.uel.ac.uk/news/2021/07-july/uel-partners-with-imperial-college-healthcare-trust
(edited 2 years ago)
The finance alone is not enough. what is the situation with placement can we still realistically work while doing this degree with a job with fixed hours on a part time basis and is there any flexibility to make placements work for the student
Original post by Dante555
The finance alone is not enough. what is the situation with placement can we still realistically work while doing this degree with a job with fixed hours on a part time basis and is there any flexibility to make placements work for the student

Thank you for this interesting question. We do not recommend to have a job alongside undertaking the course. However, we do understand that might be a necessity. The placement periods are communicated at the beginning of the course and their lengths are between 8 to 12 weeks. During those placements, you will work 30 hours a week in the Trust and an additional 7.5 hours a week in University for lectures. When not on placement, Nursing Associate students will come in University 2 days a week for lecture and skills. The course plan will be given to student during induction to be able to plan and organise themselves.

I hope this helps,

Xabi
(He/Him)
Xabi Cathala
Senior Lecturer
Interim Course Lead Nursing Associate
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
School of Health, Sport and Bioscience
Stratford Campus, Water Lane, London, E15 4LZ
Thank you for this interesting question. We do not recommend to have a job alongside undertaking the course. However, we do understand that might be a necessity. The placement periods are communicated at the beginning of the course and their lengths are between 8 to 12 weeks. During those placements, you will work 30 hours a week in the Trust and an additional 7.5 hours a week in University for lectures. When not on placement, Nursing Associate students will come in University 2 days a week for lecture and skills. The course plan will be given to student during induction to be able to plan and organise themselves.

I hope this helps,

Xabi
(He/Him)
Xabi Cathala
Senior Lecturer
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Stratford Campus, Water Lane, London, E15 4LZ

do you know roughly how many nights and weekend placements there are for nursing associate students. I know most of the shifts will be 12.5 hrs and what day is induction for nursing associate students im direct entry
(edited 2 years ago)
do you know roughly how many nights and weekend placements there are for nursing associate students. I know most of the shifts will be 12.5 hrs and what day is induction for nursing associate students im direct entry

Unfortunately it all depends on the hospital you are placed in. The ward manager will decide what shift pattern you will be on, they can be 7.5 or 12.5 hours, but again will depend on the ward.

Xabi Cathala

Senior Lecturer

Reply 11
Hi i was just wondering about the LSF
i applied for the adult nursing but dint get a place on the course and instead got offered the associates so on the lsf account i went to change over to the nursing associate and it only gave me the option for nursing associate top up and it made me wonder if the associates through a university can get this fund or not.

could someone shed some light on this please would be much appreciated.

Thankyou
Original post by Ash-_89
i applied for the adult nursing but dint get a place on the course and instead got offered the associates so on the lsf account i went to change over to the nursing associate and it only gave me the option for nursing associate top up and it made me wonder if the associates through a university can get this fund or not.

Thankyou

Hi there,

You can get a student loan for the foundation degree if it is you first one. More info here on eligibility: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

If you're having a problem with amending the course, our SMART team should be able to help. Contact details here: https://www.uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/advice-and-guidance
Original post by Ash-_89

Thankyou

there is no nhs bursary/5 grand payment extra for nursing associate. we are short changed by the government basically as usual (depressingly normal as you will find out when you start working in NHS)
Unfortunately it all depends on the hospital you are placed in. The ward manager will decide what shift pattern you will be on, they can be 7.5 or 12.5 hours, but again will depend on the ward.

Xabi Cathala

Senior Lecturer

So 12.5hr shifts when the ward is short so they can use me as an unpaid HCA got it. this seriously not a good thing to much power to ward managers here
Reply 15
So 12.5hr shifts when the ward is short so they can use me as an unpaid HCA got it. this seriously not a good thing to much power to ward managers here

How did it go have you completed your nursing associate degree
Original post by Sue890
How did it go have you completed your nursing associate degree
Not yet. I seriously regret starting this degree at all and wish to god i was able to complete a different profession out side of healthcare. Further you are completely unable to transfer university in nursing degree should you need to move to a different area and the travel becomes difficult. It's not worth it do something different

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending