The Student Room Group

Questions about SOAS Pre-sessional English Courses and Student Visa

Hi everyone, I am not a native speaker of English. I applied to SOAS postgraduate master program in June and finally received the email from the admission team about English notification today. It says that I should attend the 8-week pre-sessional English courses. However, the email says that "We are dealing with applications in date order and many people applied at the deadline." so I don't know whether this English notification email can be viewed as a signal of admission.

I also have questions about the student visa. The 8-week English course ends on 17 September and the new term begins on 4 October. So does it mean that there will not be enough time for me to get the visa and arrive in the UK before the new term begins, and I have to choose to attend the master program online?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello,

You will have a linked unconditional offer that states the following:

'Pre-sessional English progression criteria: you are requested to undertake and successfully complete an eight-week pre-sessional English language course at the SOAS IFCELS Department. Details of the course and how to register can be found here: Pre-sessional. The fees for this course are to be paid in addition to the fees for the above programme.'

You will need to apply to the pre-sessional via this form to gain a place. It is not automatic at the time of this offer. The course is online and a visa will not be sponsored for the pre-sessional.

We will issue a CAS following successful completion of the pre-sessional.

I hope this answers some of your queries!
Reply 2
Original post by SOAS
Hello,

You will have a linked unconditional offer that states the following:

'Pre-sessional English progression criteria: you are requested to undertake and successfully complete an eight-week pre-sessional English language course at the SOAS IFCELS Department. Details of the course and how to register can be found here: Pre-sessional. The fees for this course are to be paid in addition to the fees for the above programme.'

You will need to apply to the pre-sessional via this form to gain a place. It is not automatic at the time of this offer. The course is online and a visa will not be sponsored for the pre-sessional.

We will issue a CAS following successful completion of the pre-sessional.

I hope this answers some of your queries!

Thanks for your kind answer! From the SOAS website, the application deadline for the 8 week B pre-sessional English courses is 12/7. I don't want to miss the application deadline if I am lucky enough to be admitted. However, my application status is still "submitted" by far. I emailed [email protected] about my application status and they told me that "admissions are swamped as of the moment so please kindly extend your patience a bit more." It is beyond my ability to figure out any way to try to push up the admission procedure. So all I can do is to keep my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending