Which is better? A-level maths or physics

Watch
HannahB197
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've just finished secondary school and decided to choose maths as one of my a-level options.
But I've started having second thoughts and am contemplating changing my option from maths to physics.
Could you please tell me if it would be a good idea to change my option from maths to physics??
Will I regret choosing physics because every website I've read online states a level physics is really difficult
So please let me know from your personal experience which a level subject you think is better/easier.
Maths or physics?
username5129378
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Both are hard, also if you're thinking of studying Physics, you will have to study Maths too. I did A level Maths and it was a bloody headache and a half, but it was okay in the end.
HannahB197
Rep:
?
Hang on if I choose a level physics I'd also HAVE to choose a level maths to understand physics?
Can I not choose physics without doing a level maths?
Last edited by HannahB197; 2 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by HannahB197)
Hang on if I choose a level physics I'd also have to choose a level maths to understand physics?
No, but if you want to study more or less any degree with any physics basis afterwards (e.g. physics, engineering, etc) then you also will normally be required to be studying A-level Maths. Hence, most people take them as a pair, because A-level Physics by itself adds nothing to your set of A-levels as it gives you exactly 0 additional options as far as degree subject choices go without A-level Maths. It's a bit pointless taking A-level Physics without A-level Maths, even though A-level Physics assumes no content from A-level Maths (that said without also taking A-level Maths, A-level Physics will probably be more work as you'll need to continue practicing the GCSE Maths topics that come up in A-level Physics, which if you were taking A-level Maths would happen by default).
username3477548
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do maths.
Maths>physics
HannahB197
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No, but if you want to study more or less any degree with any physics basis afterwards (e.g. physics, engineering, etc) then you also will normally be required to be studying A-level Maths. Hence, most people take them as a pair, because A-level Physics by itself adds nothing to your set of A-levels as it gives you exactly 0 additional options as far as degree subject choices go without A-level Maths. It's a bit pointless taking A-level Physics without A-level Maths, even though A-level Physics assumes no content from A-level Maths (that said without also taking A-level Maths, A-level Physics will probably be more work as you'll need to continue practicing the GCSE Maths topics that come up in A-level Physics, which if you were taking A-level Maths would happen by default).
Ok thanks that was really helpful I'm choosing to study medicine at uni so I guess doing a level maths would be a better option for me?
HannahB197
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Do maths.
Maths>physics
lol alright, most people have said to me that a level maths is easier than physics so I guess I'll listen to them and take maths
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by HannahB197)
Ok thanks that was really helpful I'm choosing to study medicine at uni so I guess doing a level maths would be a better option for me?
Unless you are planning to apply Cambridge medicine there is no reason or benefit in taking either over any other A-level. Every other medical school accepts any third subject without prejudice. So just pick literally any subject that you are confident you can get an A or A* in. Read through the first post in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422
HannahB197
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Unless you are planning to apply Cambridge medicine there is no reason or benefit in taking either over any other A-level. Every other medical school accepts any third subject without prejudice. So just pick literally any subject that you are confident you can get an A or A* in. Read through the first post in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422
Omg that's such a relief to know. Thanks for informing me!
HadiY
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 hours ago
(Original post by username3477548)
Do maths.
Maths>physics
Depends on the teacher if I'm going to honest. I found A level maths to be too difficult due to the rubbish explanation from my teachers and ended up dropping it. I just do A Level physics now and it's not too difficult without it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads