Appeal capped Uni Degree Classification

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I graduated just before the Pandemic, and received a 2.2 with a 59% grade.

I want to challenge this as a number of modules which brought my grade down were capped at 40%, this was due to various ill health and caring responsibilities where I missed an essay deadline and submitted late.

I feel when I mitigated originally, some moments where I have had a cap and they didn't grant it, they did not appreciate unforeseen elements of my situation, and even disagreed with medical evidence as affecting me. More so, I also may have further evidence to provide from them regarding my health which was not apparent before.

Has anybody ever appealed a final classification like this? It appears from what I can see is that the only route is an "academic appeal" however I am not in no way challenging the uncapped grades I got for the modules, but only the cap itself applied to the modules. I also do worry that it has been a time element here, however, COVID has been a role in preventing this sooner.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I want to challenge this as a number of modules which brought my grade down were capped at 40%, this was due to various ill health and caring responsibilities where I missed an essay deadline and submitted late.

I feel when I mitigated originally, some moments where I have had a cap and they didn't grant it, they did not appreciate unforeseen elements of my situation, and even disagreed with medical evidence as affecting me. More so, I also may have further evidence to provide from them regarding my health which was not apparent before.

Has anybody ever appealed a final classification like this? It appears from what I can see is that the only route is an "academic appeal" however I am not in no way challenging the uncapped grades I got for the modules, but only the cap itself applied to the modules. I also do worry that it has been a time element here, however, COVID has been a role in preventing this sooner.
Hi,

Did you manage to appeal your grades. I know someone who appealed their final grade classification successfully and they were able to redo all of their final year modules again.

Good luck!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

Did you manage to appeal your grades. I know someone who appealed their final grade classification successfully and they were able to redo all of their final year modules again.

Good luck!
Hey,
I haven't started the process yet, What was their mitigating circumstances to appeal? was it similar to mine?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
PhoenixFortune or Reality Check may be able to give some qualified advice.

In particular I am wondering whether you may have left this too late to appeal, given the award date.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
PhoenixFortune or Reality Check may be able to give some qualified advice.

In particular I am wondering whether you may have left this too late to appeal, given the award date.
Its bit of a complex one, because there isn't any policy to even challenge it from the academic guidelines, just mitigation to challenge poor or an adverse effect on performance, or, an appeal, if there's procedural discrepancy. Appeal seems the only route, but does seem it could stir a hornets nest up.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Its bit of a complex one, because there isn't any policy to even challenge it from the academic guidelines, just mitigation to challenge poor or an adverse effect on performance, or, an appeal, if there's procedural discrepancy. Appeal seems the only route, but does seem it could stir a hornets nest up.
Can I clarify when exactly you graduated e.g. June 2019?

I think the university would have a couple of questions regarding why you didn't appeal the caps at the time. The difficulty is that retrospective evidence is not always admissible - there is no way to prove definitively that the evidence covers you for that time period you're claiming for. You need to discuss this with your student union, but again, as time has passed, you may not be successful.

Can you only appeal if there is a procedural discrepancy? If this is the case, do you have evidence of the latter to present?
jae18
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

You have a right to challenge your results after a chaotic year. I am doing the complete same and appealing my results I was one mark away from a higher degree banding. My course was all practical and being mostly online this year I feel I have been very disadvantaged from achieving. I also had caring responsibilities along with having to isolate due to vulnerability so I feel my grades for my assessment have been deeply affected. To appeal though you have to check within your university guidelines if you fit in the criteria to appeal otherwise they won’t even consider your application.
Last edited by jae18; 4 weeks ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks, Admit-One, for the tag

I agree with PhoenixFortune here - your issue is time. The obvious question would be why you didn't apply for an extension to your deadline at the time, particularly if you had specific reasons such as the ones you cite (ill health/caring responsibilities). The university will probably feel that, by not applying for an extension, you forgo your chance for these ECs to be considered. I can't see any rationale for capped module results due to late/missing work not to apply.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Hey,
I haven't started the process yet, What was their mitigating circumstances to appeal? was it similar to mine?
Hi,
They successfully appealed their final grade classification which was initially a third class degree due to their personal circumstances similar to yours but they submitted an appeal without wasting any time even when they hadn't had all of their evidence ready. Because they'd submitted something early, they were allowed to submit further evidence which delayed the decision of the appeal which is a good way to show you're making an effort. It will prove difficult to challenge an appeal the more time passes. It's always good to submit evidence as soon as possible after receiving any kind of decision.
This person finished with a 2:1 in the end which I find amazing from a third class.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
54.93%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.79%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.92%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.15%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.58%

Watched Threads