The Student Room Group

Grants for student with low income

I’m currently 18 years old and I’m planning to go to uni this September. Im looking for a grant to help me with my studies but can’t find any. Anyone know of any grants?
Original post by hasan.m021
I’m currently 18 years old and I’m planning to go to uni this September. Im looking for a grant to help me with my studies but can’t find any. Anyone know of any grants?

Lots of universities offer cash grants (some are given automatically) based on household income.

You’ll probably need to check every universities website to see what options you have.
These are usually offered on a per university basis, and vary in amounts (and requirements) between unis so will depend on where you end up studying. Generally from what I've seen the ones with the highest bursary are Oxford and Cambridge (5000+ some other benefits Vs 5600 both per year) followed by LSE (5000pa) and then UCL (I think 4000pa). I had a whole spreadsheet somewhere with others on which I can check for some other suggestions tomorrow if I remember although outside of those I don't think there are many if any with much more than £2000pa bursary amounts.
(edited 2 years ago)
Some of the ones I surveyed last year from my spreadsheet I've listed below; in all cases except where noted, eligibility is based on household income; usually tiered awards with more available for those in the lowest income brackets. These are for the most part "generally available" bursaries; there may be additional specific bursaries for e.g. refugees, those who were in care, or who meet other contextual flags.

x>=£3000pa

Spoiler

£3000pa>x>=£2000pa

Spoiler

£2000pa>x

Spoiler

Note this is not an exhaustive list, and there are some notable unis not included on here yet (e.g. Imperial) as well as many others not included. It might give you some indication as a starting point though :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
If you're Welsh SFW offer maintenance grants instead of loans. However SFE don't do this
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
These are usually offered on a per university basis, and vary in amounts (and requirements) between unis so will depend on where you end up studying. Generally from what I've seen the ones with the highest bursary are Oxford and Cambridge (5000+ some other benefits Vs 5600 both per year) followed by LSE (5000pa) and then UCL (I think 4000pa). I had a whole spreadsheet somewhere with others on which I can check for some other suggestions tomorrow if I remember although outside of those I don't think there are many if any with much more than £2000pa bursary amounts.

Thank youu for the information

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending