Grants for student with low income

Watch
hasan.m021
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m currently 18 years old and I’m planning to go to uni this September. Im looking for a grant to help me with my studies but can’t find any. Anyone know of any grants?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by hasan.m021)
I’m currently 18 years old and I’m planning to go to uni this September. Im looking for a grant to help me with my studies but can’t find any. Anyone know of any grants?
Lots of universities offer cash grants (some are given automatically) based on household income.

You’ll probably need to check every universities website to see what options you have.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
These are usually offered on a per university basis, and vary in amounts (and requirements) between unis so will depend on where you end up studying. Generally from what I've seen the ones with the highest bursary are Oxford and Cambridge (5000+ some other benefits Vs 5600 both per year) followed by LSE (5000pa) and then UCL (I think 4000pa). I had a whole spreadsheet somewhere with others on which I can check for some other suggestions tomorrow if I remember although outside of those I don't think there are many if any with much more than £2000pa bursary amounts.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 months ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Some of the ones I surveyed last year from my spreadsheet I've listed below; in all cases except where noted, eligibility is based on household income; usually tiered awards with more available for those in the lowest income brackets. These are for the most part "generally available" bursaries; there may be additional specific bursaries for e.g. refugees, those who were in care, or who meet other contextual flags.

x>=£3000pa

Spoiler:
Show

Oxford - up to £5000pa Crankstart Bursary, which includes a requirement to do a minimum amount of volunteering during the degree, and also mentoring opportunities. Smaller Oxford Bursary of up to £3200pa for those not eligible for the Crankstart Bursary or who do not wish to undertake it. Both available to all eligible students. Various smaller college bursaries or rent discounts available at different colleges; these may be limited in number.

Cambridge - up to £5600pa for students classed as independent by SFE (normally over 25), up to £3500pa otherwise for all eligible students.

LSE - up to £4000pa, and £750-2500pa accommodation bursary (taken off price of LSE accommodation) for all eligible students.

Heriot-Watt - up to £3100pa for all eligible students.

Strathclyde - up to £3000pa for all eligible students. Additional merit-based awards of up to £1000pa available based on incoming grades.

Edinburgh - up to £3000pa for all eligible students.

Aberdeen - up to £3000pa for all eligible students.

Courtauld - up to £3000pa, but limited number of bursaries and contextual factors considered when determining who to award them to.

Goldsmiths - Up to £3000pa, maximum 10 awards.

£3000pa>x>=£2000pa

Spoiler:
Show

UCL - up to £2500pa for all eligible students.

Bristol - up to £2060pa for all eligible students.

Dundee - up to £2000pa for all eligible students. Additional merit-based awards available based on incoming grades.

Manchester - up to £2000pa for all eligible students. £4000pa for foundation year students during their foundation year only.

Leeds - up to £2000pa for all eligible students. £3000pa for foundation year students during their foundation year only.

Birmingham - up to £2000pa for all eligible students.

Glasgow - up to £2000pa for all eligible students.

Liverpool - up to £2000pa for all eligible students.

Southampton - up to £2000pa for all eligible students.

£2000pa>x

Spoiler:
Show

KCL - up to £1600pa for all eligible students. Up to £3000 available for those in the Global Affairs department instead.

St Andrews - up to £1500pa for all eligible students.

SOAS - up to £4500 over total length of degree (equivalent to max £1500pa for a 3 year course).

Loughborough - up to £3600 over total length of degree (equivalent to max £1200pa for a 3 year course).

York - up to £1000pa for all eligible students. Up to £5600 for those in doing a course with a foundation year during the foundation year. Up to £1000 additional bursary for first year students only.

Sheffield - up to £1000pa for all eligible students.

Nottingham - up to £1000pa for all eligible students

Note this is not an exhaustive list, and there are some notable unis not included on here yet (e.g. Imperial) as well as many others not included. It might give you some indication as a starting point though
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 months ago
Komaric
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you're Welsh SFW offer maintenance grants instead of loans. However SFE don't do this
hasan.m021
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
These are usually offered on a per university basis, and vary in amounts (and requirements) between unis so will depend on where you end up studying. Generally from what I've seen the ones with the highest bursary are Oxford and Cambridge (5000+ some other benefits Vs 5600 both per year) followed by LSE (5000pa) and then UCL (I think 4000pa). I had a whole spreadsheet somewhere with others on which I can check for some other suggestions tomorrow if I remember although outside of those I don't think there are many if any with much more than £2000pa bursary amounts.
Thank youu for the information
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed