The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannah4b6
Thank you so much!
I’m studying A-Level biology, chemistry and religious studies. I’ve had work experience in a local nursery for a week and two weeks work experience in a pharmacy (which they then offered me a part-time job).
My predicted grades are ABB which I don’t think I really good for pharmacy :-/
In my GCSEs I achieved all 8s and 9s with the exception of one grade 7.
I’m considering applying to Nottingham, UCL, Birmingham and Manchester.

I think your predicted grades are great, they're only one grade below most entry requirements (AAB) so as long as you achieve those in A levels I think you'll be fine
Same I struggled to get pharmacy based experience :frown:
Hi, I just qualified as a pharmacist last Thursday and I work as a hospital pharmacist. I graduated from Nottingham in 2020. If anyone needs any help and info about pharmacy just message me on here or private message :smile:
Original post by tcameron
Hi, I just qualified as a pharmacist last Thursday and I work as a hospital pharmacist. I graduated from Nottingham in 2020. If anyone needs any help and info about pharmacy just message me on here or private message :smile:

Thanks 😊 we appreciate it ! do you have any general tips for the application process ?
@tcameron there’s a lot of negativity on this forum regarding pharmacy as a career. I haven’t let this put me off but do you think mpharm is a good career ?
@mors13 - pharmacy forum
Original post by Student5cience
@tcameron there’s a lot of negativity on this forum regarding pharmacy as a career. I haven’t let this put me off but do you think mpharm is a good career ?

Hi, obviously I am at the start of my career now so I cannot comment much. There are pros and cons of working in healthcare in general. I would say pharmacy is a pretty stable career and as a hospital pharmacist in London/outskirts of London you can start on between 32-38k salary as a band 6 which is a very good starting salar
Generally work is always there as you can always locum or be bank staff if you do not have a permanent job (these don't always require an interview process either).
Finally qualifying is a looong process that is draining I can't lie (uni, pre reg, pre reg exam) but so far I am content. The learning never stops though so this can be a pro or con for some and the job can get quite repetative especially in community.
Honestly, do what you want to do and don't let people discourage you too much. No healthcare profession is perfect in any way
Thanks 😊 we appreciate it ! do you have any general tips for the application process ?

I'd say try to understand the different sectors as much as you can. (Hospital, community, industry, GP)
Think about real life things that are affecting pharmacy profession atm. i.e. MHRA alerts, medicines recalls, NPSA alerts, Carter report of 2016 and how that can affect pharmacy practise in healthcare. So maybe look some of these things up.
Understand the role of the pharmacist within the health professional team as we do not work alone. Even if you are in community pharmacy, you communicate with technicians, assistants, doctors, mental health keyworkers a lot. Hospital based pharmacists work with pretty much every healthcare professional on a daily.
Get some experience in hospital and community if you can. Even just one day is enough
(edited 2 years ago)
@tcameron thanks 😊
Original post by tcameron

Was it difficult to become a hospital pharmacist? And what made you decide to become a hospital pharmacist as opposed to a community pharmacist?
Original post by Hannah4b6
Was it difficult to become a hospital pharmacist? And what made you decide to become a hospital pharmacist as opposed to a community pharmacist?

I think doing a hospital pre-reg helped as many hospital jobs want someone to have hospital experience. I would say applying for central london hospitals is the competitive. I haven’t really had much community experience apart from a few 2 week placements.
I chose hospital because I prefer a more clinical environment, the hours can be generally shorter and in hospital you can get more help as there are other more senior pharmacists and other HCPs.
The roles with hospital and community are very different and I’m just more used to hospital.
@tcameron thanks for your input ❤️ Do you know anyone else who wants to study pharmacy please direct them to this thread.
Just a general question, I’ve heard that although community pharmacists initially tend to have a higher starting salary than hospital pharmacists it’s harder for them to progress in their career…would anyone know any further details about this?
Is it difficult to find job opportunities for pharmacy students who would want to work in industry or research as majority of graduates tend to be hospital or community pharmacists?
Reply 34
Introduce yourselves.
-what alevels are you studying?
-how much work experience have you done?
-predicted grades and GCSEs achieved?
- where are you looking at applying?
Please give me a rep of this thread was helpful 😊

Hey my name is Phedra and I study Pharmacy here is the link to my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAL8Bs4Utg&t=380s where I share a lot of my pharmacy experience as as a student and give insight into what life is like as an MPharm student studying in the UK. Hope this helps and I wish you all the best x
Reply 35
Also do any current studying pharmacists have any advice to give ? And how smart do you have to be to study pharmacy

Hey my name is Phedra and I study Pharmacy here is the link to my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAL8Bs4Utg&t=380s where I share a lot of my pharmacy experience as as a student and give insight into what life is like as an MPharm student studying in the UK. Hope this helps and I wish you all the best x
@9PD thanks 😊
@Poetry2020 pharmacy forum
What universities offer the best pharmacy courses in England?
@Hannah4b6 I’ve heard Medway ucl, kcl are pretty good

Latest

Trending

Trending