The Student Room Group

College Decision

Hi, I'm torn between two places where I can do my A-Levels (French, German and History), starting in September. I've done advantages and disadvantages for each one, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decide. For context, my mum really wants me to stay at my current school, mainly for convenience (especially transport wise)

Sixth form (where I'm currently at)
ADV: I know the teachers there, I know my way around school, it's only 10 minutes on the train, there is good careers/extra curricular support, I have a few friends going there
DISADV: I've been there for a while so I kind of want a change, as it's a grammar school it can be quite a competitive and sometimes toxic environment. Also I don't like the History A-Level topics :frown:

College:
ADV: I much prefer the History topics, it is a fresh start, I have the opportunity to go on a German exchange & work experience in Europe which would help with my speaking, more extracurricular options, a more laidback environment, can pretty much leave when I don't have lessons, also have friends going there. I had 2 cousins who went there and really enjoyed it.
DISADV: Journey time is closer to 40 mins each way (I would have to take train and bus), I don't know the teachers/way round school

also if there's anything you could add that would be greatly appreciated
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by average_human
Hi, I'm torn between two places where I can do my A-Levels (French, German and History), starting in September. I've done advantages and disadvantages for each one, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decide. For context, my mum really wants me to stay at my current school, mainly for convenience (especially transport wise)

Sixth form (where I'm currently at)
ADV: I know the teachers there, I know my way around school, it's only 10 minutes on the train, there is good careers/extra curricular support, I have a few friends going there
DISADV: I've been there for a while so I kind of want a change, as it's a grammar school it can be quite a competitive and sometimes toxic environment. Also I don't like the History A-Level topics :frown:

College:
ADV: I much prefer the History topics, it is a fresh start, I have the opportunity to go on a German exchange & work experience in Europe which would help with my speaking, more extracurricular options, a more laidback environment, can pretty much leave when I don't have lessons, also have friends going there. I had 2 cousins who went there and really enjoyed it.
DISADV: Journey time is closer to 40 mins each way (I would have to take train and bus), I don't know the teachers/way round school

also if there's anything you could add that would be greatly appreciated

i think you should go to the college instead of staying at your sixth form since there are definitely more advantages. you will also probably do worse in history if you do not like the topics they teach since you wont be interested, but if you go to the new place youll get to learn the topics you want and improve your german.

in college everyone is new, so its okay if you dont know the teachers or how to get around! the journey is a bit of a struggle, but if you dont mind it it should be fine. ive also chosen a sixth form thats about 40 mins away ._.

if the journey isnt too much of a bother, go to the college : )
Original post by mriiuu
i think you should go to the college instead of staying at your sixth form since there are definitely more advantages. you will also probably do worse in history if you do not like the topics they teach since you wont be interested, but if you go to the new place youll get to learn the topics you want and improve your german.

in college everyone is new, so its okay if you dont know the teachers or how to get around! the journey is a bit of a struggle, but if you dont mind it it should be fine. ive also chosen a sixth form thats about 40 mins away ._.

if the journey isnt too much of a bother, go to the college : )

Thank you-I was definitely already leaning towards college so this has helped :smile:. I agree with you about History, I'll definitely hate it if I stay.
Also I've had cousins go to the college so at least I know the journey is doable. I think I've been quite lucky with my high school being only 10 minutes away-certainly when I get a job/go to uni it will be more than 10 minutes :smile:

thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending