Questions about applying to dentistry

Watch this thread
cherry12654
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi im interested in dentistry but i want to know if applying for a preliminary dentistry course gives me a higher chance to get into a dentistry uni? I also want to know if its okay to ask a uni how likely i am to be accepted?
cherry12654
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
HI, i want to ask when applying for medicine and dentistry university's i know you only have 4 choices and one backup option. i want to ask if its okay if i pick 3 dentistry courses and one radiography course as my 4th choice? This is because I'm interested in dentistry and radiology. i also understand that i have a 5th backup choice and I'm thinking to put radiography too, in case i don't get into the dentistry courses. will making my 4th choice radiography lower my chances of getting into a dentistry course? Thank you.
dentdent2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Getting into dentistry is really competitive so it’s best to use all your 4 choices for dentistry to maximise your chances and use your 5th for radiography. Have you got in contact with your 5th choice radiography uni to see if they’ll accept an alternative ps?
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
If you're aiming for Dentistry and your grades reflect that, radiography will not be difficult for you to get into.
So it's best if you do use all 4 options for Dentistry and 5th for radiography (Radiography is one of those courses eligible for yearly NHS training grants too, so less pressure on fees lucky)
cherry12654
Rep:
(Original post by dentdent2020)
Getting into dentistry is really competitive so it’s best to use all your 4 choices for dentistry to maximise your chances and use your 5th for radiography. Have you got in contact with your 5th choice radiography uni to see if they’ll accept an alternative ps?
Oh really okay i was actually trying to apply to the dentistry uni's which are doing gateway courses or maybe preliminary years because i feel it would be easier to get into but i cant seem to find a 4th option that's close to me and offers a course like that. As for the 5th choice radiography i didn't actually know that I was supposed to ask if they accept an alternate ps... i thought if i get rejected from the dentistry uni's i just needed to give the radiography uni's a call in clearance?:confused:
cherry12654
Rep:
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
If you're aiming for Dentistry and your grades reflect that, radiography will not be difficult for you to get into.
So it's best if you do use all 4 options for Dentistry and 5th for radiography (Radiography is one of those courses eligible for yearly NHS training grants too, so less pressure on fees lucky)
yea that's true i was thinking to do that, do my 4 options for dentistry and my 5th as radiography since i also like radiology. the problem is my teachers are telling me to go for dentistry and my personal statement is also about dentistry, they think that radiography is too different from dentistry and i should put something similar like dental therapy except I'm not interested in that . I really want to go for it but i don't want to be rejected and waste time That's why i thought of trying to apply 3 dentistry and 1 radiography. but if its best to just apply all 4 as dentistry and the 5th backup as radiography ill go with that. Thanks for the reply!
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by cherry12654)
yea that's true i was thinking to do that, do my 4 options for dentistry and my 5th as radiography since i also like radiology. the problem is my teachers are telling me to go for dentistry and my personal statement is also about dentistry, they think that radiography is too different from dentistry and i should put something similar like dental therapy except I'm not interested in that . I really want to go for it but i don't want to be rejected and waste time That's why i thought of trying to apply 3 dentistry and 1 radiography. but if its best to just apply all 4 as dentistry and the 5th backup as radiography ill go with that. Thanks for the reply!
Your teachers should have given you the same advice the previous comment gave.
Contact the university that you want to potentially study radiography and ask if they would prefer a separate Personal statement.
cherry12654
Rep:
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
Your teachers should have given you the same advice the previous comment gave.
Contact the university that you want to potentially study radiography and ask if they would prefer a separate Personal statement.
Yea tbh i had to figure everything out myself, I'm like one of the only ones wanting to do dentistry in my college somehow. people who wanted to do it changed their mind, i think its me and maybe one other person wanting to do it. My teachers don't seem to bothered at all even when me and friend try to ask questions. My college didn't even help out with work experience but i managed to find a virtual dentistry work experience and i hope that's okay i hope things are better after September But thank you so much for the help i will definitely email the university's to ask about radiography and the separate personal statement
cherry12654
Rep:
Can i apply for 2 courses at the same uni? like a preliminary dentistry course plus a normal dentistry course? will they both count as different options when i apply? Thank you.
Butene
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Can i apply for 2 courses at the same uni? like a preliminary dentistry course plus a normal dentistry course? will they both count as different options when i apply? Thank you.
I'm pretty sure you're able apply to two different dental courses at the same university. However, it'll count as two choices out of the four choices you get to pick from for dentistry on your UCAS application (leaving you with two other unis at most).

Edit: Also, if you have the grades for regular undergraduate dental course then apply to those whever you can, preliminary/foundation choice medicine and dentistry are more competitive to get into due to less spaces so you should only apply to that if you meet their WP criteria and you dont have grades for regular.
Last edited by Butene; 10 months ago
cherry12654
Rep:
(Original post by Butene)
I'm pretty sure you're able apply to two different dental courses at the same university. However, it'll count as two choices out of the four choices you get to pick from for dentistry on your UCAS application (leaving you with two other unis at most).

Edit: Also, if you have the grades for regular undergraduate dental course then apply to those whever you can, preliminary/foundation choice medicine and dentistry are more competitive to get into due to less spaces so you should only apply to that if you meet their WP criteria and you dont have grades for regular.
thanks for the help oh then maybe i will apply to normal dental courses i thought they will be more competitive then the preliminary/foundation ones but i guess i need to look into it more. thanks a lot!
Butene
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
thanks for the help oh then maybe i will apply to normal dental courses i thought they will be more competitive then the preliminary/foundation ones but i guess i need to look into it more. thanks a lot!
I get where you are coming from as that's what I had thought about at the start of when I was applying, always try going for the normal dental courses if you have the stats as they will be easiest if you apply by your strengths and goodluck on your application!
cherry12654
Rep:
I get where you are coming from as that's what I had thought about at the start of when I was applying, always try going for the normal dental courses if you have the stats as they will be easiest if you apply by your strengths and goodluck on your application!
Thanks a lot for the help btw can i ask what course you are doing? An what year of uni you are in? Thanks
Butene
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Thanks a lot for the help btw can i ask what course you are doing? An what year of uni you are in? Thanks
No worries, I'm doing medicine and I'll be starting this September
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

I can confirm this is correct. You may apply to the gateway dental course as well as the regular undergraduate dentistry course.

OP please note that foundation courses are for students who don’t have the correct subjects, it’s not for people with low predicted grades/ contextual offers. That would be gateway courses you’re referring to.
cherry12654
Rep:
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I can confirm this is correct. You may apply to the gateway dental course as well as the regular undergraduate dentistry course.

OP please note that foundation courses are for students who don’t have the correct subjects, it’s not for people with low predicted grades/ contextual offers. That would be gateway courses you’re referring to.
Thank you so much
cherry12654
Rep:
No worries, I'm doing medicine and I'll be starting this September
Oh medicine that's so cool :cool: i hope everything goes well for you in September
Butene
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Oh medicine that's so cool :cool: i hope everything goes well for you in September
Thanks, I hope the same for you too.
dentdent2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Oh really okay i was actually trying to apply to the dentistry uni's which are doing gateway courses or maybe preliminary years because i feel it would be easier to get into but i cant seem to find a 4th option that's close to me and offers a course like that. As for the 5th choice radiography i didn't actually know that I was supposed to ask if they accept an alternate ps... i thought if i get rejected from the dentistry uni's i just needed to give the radiography uni's a call in clearance?:confused:
What are your predicted grades and GCSEs like? The foundation year courses for dentistry tend to be a lot more competitive than the 5 year standard course itself
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by dentdent2020)
What are your predicted grades and GCSEs like? The foundation year courses for dentistry tend to be a lot more competitive than the 5 year standard course itself
OP has been given advice about this already. Foundation courses are for those with incorrect subjects, it’s not for people with lower grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads