The Student Room Group

So fat from lockdown help

I've got so fat from lockdown I hardly recognise myself.
I'm 5ft and before locky I was a 10-12.
Now I'm a rolypoly 12-14 and I feel awful. My body has literally no muscle tone or strength anymore. I just tried to do treadmill but felt exhausted after 3 mins I have no energy
how do I get my body back?
Run daily, (outside over a treadmill is probably better you have the visual satisfaction of the distance you've covered and it could motivate you to do more). It's probably the lack of movement during lockdown (and possible change of diet?) that caused this weight gain. Try thinking of ways to get active and eat better

As you run, keep thinking to yourself: What will I do when an athletic murderer decides to chase me one day?
That's good motivation to consider building up endurance. Record the distance and keep adding to it.

In fact, try to envision as clearly as you can that you are being chased by a knife wielding mad individual and get that adrenaline pumping
Walk, then walk some more. Never stop moving, but nothing too intense yet. Throw the biscuits out the window. Say '**** you' to takeaways. I gained three stone over the past year and have been doing this for the past two weeks and lost 10 pounds. The exercise gives you a buzz.
Reply 3
A sensible rate of weight loss is up to 2lbs/1kg a week.

Think about why you have gained weight; is it what you are eating, lack of exercise or both?

You don't need to run every day, certainly not when you are starting out and don't necessarily have the right equipment. Walk. Cycle. Dance around the house. Even hoovering and gardening will burn calories.

Look at cutting down on sugary snacks and overly-processed food. Don't cut out whole food groups, but have balanced meals. Still allow yourself the occasional treat.
Ignore the running every day, sure it would help but going too hard will just lead to failure of commitment. The aim is to take it slow and make it sustainable so you can lose the weight and keep it off, I'll try and keep it to the point:

- Caloric intake, the way of losing fat is burning more calories than you consume. To find your required caloric intake you could try online calculators HOWEVER these are only ball park figures there is no real way of getting an accurate figure. I recommend subtracting 200 - 500 maximum from that intake, any more and it can be quite taxing unless you have the will power so 200-300 would be a good place to start.

- Find exercise you enjoy, sure running will help you burn calories which can help you maintain a deficit but if you don't enjoy it then what's the point if you're going to quit after a month? Try different sports, try weight lifting, try different forms of exercise. The main thing is you find an activity you enjoy and want to do in your spare time and improve at.

- Small goals, we could set goals like "I want to look like …", "I want to lose 50 lbs in a month" etc etc however, these are unrealistic set a small goal each week like "I want to go and do this exercise 3 times a week", "I want to lose half a pound or even a pound this week " and use these are small task to get done. Once you start seeing progress use this to motivate you further and begin setting more challenging goals like bump it up from exercising 3 times a week to 4 then eventually 5 if you have the time.

- Protein intake and food choices, When losing weight an increased protein intake will help since its more filling, and requires more energy to digest. Ignore the myths of too much protein will give you kidney problems or whatever you may hear from an internet Karen. It is perfectly fine to eat more protein. The optimum range suggested is 0.4 - 1 g of protein per pound of bodyweight the 1 g per lbs of bodyweight will help if you're trying to also build a bit of muscle in a deficit.

Following on, choose lower calorie options that will fill you up more. Find recipes for low calorie dense meals which have sufficient protein, fruits and vegetables. Not only will these fill you up more than a chocolate bar or a pack of biscuits you will begin to feel better and more energised if you eat more fruit and veg with your meals. YouTube and Google will help you dramatically here.

- Sleep and hydration, get plenty of sleep it will help the body repair and for all around health sleep is key. Along with this drink more water these two are fairly obvious why you should do these two things. But a side note, if you have a sweet tooth like myself don't be scared of the diet versions of drinks. Drinking these won't kill you and will help with cravings without consuming any calories. Just don't replace it for water but don't be scared of it either if you want some.

Any further questions then don't be scared to ask. People on here can be useful just ignore someone though if they tell you weight loss isn't a matter of calories in / out because they're morons. :tongue: Goodluck!
Reply 5
calorie deficit is the baseline. that is how weight is lost however its how you go about that in a way that suits you and a way that you can stay consistent and motivated.
find ways of dealing with cravings, as the previous reps mentioned, diet drinks are a good way to do this, small amounts of juice, finding healthier alternatives to the things you love. if you cut all sugar/fat out of your diet the likelihood is that you wouldn't be able to maintain this and would end up binging. for example, if you are really craving chocolate you could buy a small chocolate bar from the shop (such as a fredo or kinder bar) and eat is slowly. not keeping these foods in the house would make you less likely to binge and you are sure that you really want some before eating it.
weight loss needs to be a lifestyle change, unless you plan on reverse dieting afterwards which is a hard and tricky process to get right, the way you start eating now will be the goal for the next few years (obviously with some flexablitity) you have to be enjoying the food you are eating and respecting your bodys natural cravingings and changes in appetite for this to work.
It's very simple just reduce your eating and make a routine of walking after eating 30min ..
Reply 7
Weight lifting and boxing have been working for me

Plan a workout routine and stick to it. No matter what you feel, keep pushing yourself until you complete your goals.

To help with your diet, try getting a blender and then beetroot, apple, cucumber and celery as the nutrients to blend to make smoothie. A good diet will help.
Eat less and move more. Also regaining some muscle will increase your TDEE.
In about a month I've lost half a stone and now I'm a size 12! WOO
Original post by stickylikehoney
In about a month I've lost half a stone and now I'm a size 12! WOO

And what did you do to reduce your body fat? running around in a park or a city, practising workouts at home? that is what I did to keep my body shape during lockdown.
Home workouts can help when you dont have time to go to a Gym :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
And what did you do to reduce your body fat? running around in a park or a city, practising workouts at home? that is what I did to keep my body shape during lockdown.

I now follow this new eating plan:
typical diet

Breakfast: either.... chicken sausage and spinach and cheese omellete or chicken sausage and small baken beans and small slice of brown read and scrambled egg or avocado on toast with low fat bacon and egg or porridge and banana

lunch: chicken salad or chicken nuggets with low-carb bread crumbs n veg
dinner: soup or salmon and veg or lightly dusted fish n veg

1 cheat meal a week and 1 cheat dessert a week
drink 3 litres of water a day
go to the gym 2 or 3 days a week

Typical snacks: fruit, veg, healthy popcorn, Muller yoghurts (are these healthy)

now I'm a comfortable 12, my 10 clothes can fit and do up but they are too tight to move around in. Slowly getting there! Also
Update
9 months on and I've lost a stone and a half
I have gone from running 3 mins to running 40
feel so much better and healthier!!!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by stickylikehoney
Update
9 months on and I've lost a stone and a half
I have gone from running 3 mins to running 40
feel so much better and healthier!!!!!

Congrats!

It is important to always remember that if you are healthy, active, eating a balanced diet and happy with your appearance- other people's casual opinions about your looks or dress size are generally irrelevant to your life.
If you want to lose weight, change your body appearance or do some extra daily exercise workouts- that's fine.
But do it for yourself, not anyone else.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Congrats!

It is important to always remember that if you are healthy, active, eating a balanced diet and happy with your appearance- other people's casual opinions about your looks or dress size are generally irrelevant to your life.
If you want to lose weight, change your body appearance or do some extra daily exercise workouts- that's fine.
But do it for yourself, not anyone else.
Good luck!

Being 2kg overweight (like I am) never killed anyone.
Hopefully I can lose another stone.
All girls should eat healthily and stay fit and love their curves and their own unique body shape and also remember that 5% of the time it's totally OK to be HUMAN and skip the gym and eat pizza and eat a donut too many
(edited 1 year ago)
Eat two meals a day, works for me
I bought this no carb bread online, looks good
It's about a year on since I started changing my dieting and exercise habits. I feel so much healthier and have so much more energy.
Now my food discipline is going up as I am so much more used to eating healthy food, i am having less cheat meals and feel so much better inside.
About 16 months on... I've lost a whopping two stone!

Quick Reply

Latest