The Student Room Group

History NEA Coursework

For my history coursework we have to choose an approx. 100 year period of history to study and we make up our own question.We can't do any topic that comes up in the areas we are studying now, which is Tudors 1485-1603 and The American Dream 1945-1980. We do not have any sort of recommended list and I'm struggling to think of a topic as I'm not sure what area I would enjoy doing/would be easy to find resources on. If anyone has any ideas that would be extremely helpful.
:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by milliemay242
For my history coursework we have to choose an approx. 100 year period of history to study and we make up our own question.We can't do any topic that comes up in the areas we are studying now, which is Tudors 1485-1603 and The American Dream 1945-1980. We do not have any sort of recommended list and I'm struggling to think of a topic as I'm not sure what area I would enjoy doing/would be easy to find resources on. If anyone has any ideas that would be extremely helpful.
:smile:

Hey this is a lot of writing but here are 2 examples, I’m currently doing my coursework question and am struggling to choose too!xx😩
TITLE
Historians have disagreed about the reasons for the end of the Cold War. What is your view about the reasons for the end of the Cold War?
Summary of differences in interpretation
The basic discussion will be between those that believe Reagan's policies brought about the end, compared to those who favour the policies/values of Gorbachev. The interpretations on the importance of Reagan will vary between authors, from those who focus on his overstretching of the Soviet economy to those who concentrate more on his compromising skills after 1984. Other interpretations will consider the importance of the gerontocracy and the impact of their policies on the Soviet economy. Other historians have focused on the internal socio-political factors within the communist system (such as Serhii Plokhy), whilst some have looked at the influence of other key players especially George Shultz and Shevardnadze.
Relevant publications
Oberdorfer, Dan The Cold War to a New Era (1998)
Matlock, Jack Reagan and Gorbachev: How the Cold War ended (2004) Schweizer, Peter Victory (1994)
Zubok, V A Failed Empire (2007)
Fischer, Beth Reagan Revival (1997)
Plokhy, Serhii The Last empire (2014)
Brown, Archie The Gorbachev Factor (1996)
BBC Documentary: Summits: the Geneva Summit, Professor David Reynolds
Note: This enquiry may not be combined with option 1E, where the Section C focus on the Fall of the USSR would involve too great an overlap.
The proposal, although it does not associate the listed works with particular views, indicates that a debate exists over the proposed issue. As long as the listed authors are between them associated with the range of views cited in the proposal, it would appear to offer candidates the required scope to explore interpretations.

2 Title
Historians have disagreed about the significance of German Imperial ambitions in the origins of the First World War.
What in your view about the significance of German Imperial ambitions in the Origins of the First World War?
There are a multitude of differing interpretations as demonstrated below:
Gerhard Ritter - Germany was defensive like much of Europe
Fischer - German Aggression
Fischer - German foreign policy and German domestic tension
AJP Taylor - War by timetable: No one particularly wanted war, however mobilised quickly as a deterrent. Generals created grand timetables
Hillgruber - war was due to encirclement
Erdman - Germany slipped into war
Austria were to blame.
Due to Russian mobilisation.
Relevant publications
Johl, James Origins of the First World War (2006)
Fischer, Fritz Germany's aims in the first world war (1968)
Henig, Ruth Origins of the First World War (2001)
Taylor, AJP War by timetable, how the first world war began (1969)
Joll, James 1914 debate continues (1966)
Clark, Christopher Lecture: Sleep walkers, how Europe went to war in 1914 (2014)
Original post by Knkn10
Hey this is a lot of writing but here are 2 examples, I’m currently doing my coursework question and am struggling to choose too!xx😩
TITLE
Historians have disagreed about the reasons for the end of the Cold War. What is your view about the reasons for the end of the Cold War?
The basic discussion will be between those that believe Reagan's policies brought about the end, compared to those who favour the policies/values of Gorbachev. The interpretations on the importance of Reagan will vary between authors, from those who focus on his overstretching of the Soviet economy to those who concentrate more on his compromising skills after 1984. Other interpretations will consider the importance of the gerontocracy and the impact of their policies on the Soviet economy. Other historians have focused on the internal socio-political factors within the communist system (such as Serhii Plokhy), whilst some have looked at the influence of other key players especially George Shultz and Shevardnadze.
Relevant publications
Oberdorfer, Dan The Cold War to a New Era (1998)
Matlock, Jack Reagan and Gorbachev: How the Cold War ended (2004) Schweizer, Peter Victory (1994)
Zubok, V A Failed Empire (2007)
Fischer, Beth Reagan Revival (1997)
Plokhy, Serhii The Last empire (2014)
Brown, Archie The Gorbachev Factor (1996)
BBC Documentary: Summits: the Geneva Summit, Professor David Reynolds
Note: This enquiry may not be combined with option 1E, where the Section C focus on the Fall of the USSR would involve too great an overlap.
The proposal, although it does not associate the listed works with particular views, indicates that a debate exists over the proposed issue. As long as the listed authors are between them associated with the range of views cited in the proposal, it would appear to offer candidates the required scope to explore interpretations.

2 Title
Historians have disagreed about the significance of German Imperial ambitions in the origins of the First World War.
What in your view about the significance of German Imperial ambitions in the Origins of the First World War?
There are a multitude of differing interpretations as demonstrated below:
Gerhard Ritter - Germany was defensive like much of Europe
Fischer - German Aggression
Fischer - German foreign policy and German domestic tension
AJP Taylor - War by timetable: No one particularly wanted war, however mobilised quickly as a deterrent. Generals created grand timetables
Hillgruber - war was due to encirclement
Erdman - Germany slipped into war
Austria were to blame.
Due to Russian mobilisation.
Relevant publications
Johl, James Origins of the First World War (2006)
Fischer, Fritz Germany's aims in the first world war (1968)
Henig, Ruth Origins of the First World War (2001)
Taylor, AJP War by timetable, how the first world war began (1969)
Joll, James 1914 debate continues (1966)
Clark, Christopher Lecture: Sleep walkers, how Europe went to war in 1914 (2014)

How does the Cold War question meet the 100-year criteria?
Reply 3
Is this for OCR?

If so then it's true that you can't cover the topic in the thematic study but the other two depth studies are fair game.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply