University of Bristol
Bristol

University of Bristol Clearing and Adjustment 2021

Scroll to see replies

Posting to subscribe :bl:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I’ve been interested in applying to the University of Bristol through Clearing this year. This morning (Friday 16 July), I saw that there were several courses listed in the Home vacancies section, however, now I see that the website says “We are now closed to applications through early Clearing”.

Is this due to all places being completely filled even though I saw so many were displayed as available or has the deadline for early Clearing just passed? I’ve already got my grades as I’ve been on a gap year, I should’ve applied earlier instead of waiting 😭.
Original post by sensei_grogu
I’ve been interested in applying to the University of Bristol through Clearing this year. This morning (Friday 16 July), I saw that there were several courses listed in the Home vacancies section, however, now I see that the website says “We are now closed to applications through early Clearing”.

Is this due to all places being completely filled even though I saw so many were displayed as available or has the deadline for early Clearing just passed? I’ve already got my grades as I’ve been on a gap year, I should’ve applied earlier instead of waiting 😭.

That's quite dodgy - let me consult with some of the other clearing and applications advisors and see if this is something known and how you can best prepare yourself in this situation.
Original post by 04MR17
That's quite dodgy - let me consult with some of the other clearing and applications advisors and see if this is something known and how you can best prepare yourself in this situation.

Thank you, that’d be really helpful 🙂.
Original post by sensei_grogu

I'm back!
It won't be due to all places being filled, it'll just be that they can't offer out more places until they see the August results.
It might have been better to apply earlier rather than waiting, yes. However, that doesn't mean you're out of the game and you may even want to ring them up ahead of results day to make it known you would like to attend and would like one of their clearing places for X course.
Original post by 04MR17
I'm back!
It won't be due to all places being filled, it'll just be that they can't offer out more places until they see the August results.
It might have been better to apply earlier rather than waiting, yes. However, that doesn't mean you're out of the game and you may even want to ring them up ahead of results day to make it known you would like to attend and would like one of their clearing places for X course.

Thank you so much! That’s good to hear and I’ll definitely be ringing up the admissions people 🙂.
Does anyone know whether Bristol university normally operates a waiting list for medicine/dentistry or whether clearing is available for these 2 courses?
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone know whether Bristol university normally operates a waiting list for medicine/dentistry or whether clearing is available for these 2 courses?

Very unlikely that there will be any advertised clearing vacancies in either course.
It's possible there may be a tiny number of clearing places on these courses and the university don't advertise it. So you could try your luck and ring them on results day. However, I would plan as though these are not options.

The other thing to say is that medicine and dentistry are two very different courses - which one are you going for?

hi :smile:
You seem to have tagged me but not written a message? :curious:
Original post by 04MR17
hi :smile:
You seem to have tagged me but not written a message? :curious:

@04MR17Sorry I’m the same person that wrote the message above about med/dent. So I had an interview with Bristol for dent and was so close to an offer. I was wandering whether there was much hope since the offer is AAA and with teacher assessed grades i presume most people would achieve that.
@04MR17Sorry I’m the same person that wrote the message above about med/dent. So I had an interview with Bristol for dent and was so close to an offer. I was wandering whether there was much hope since the offer is AAA and with teacher assessed grades i presume most people would achieve that.

Okay so you're a dentistry applicant, not medicine.
It doesn't matter about everybody else - will you achieve the AAA?
Original post by 04MR17
Okay so you're a dentistry applicant, not medicine.
It doesn't matter about everybody else - will you achieve the AAA?

I’m hoping so. I think my school has high a level results normally
I’m hoping so. I think my school has high a level results normally

That shouldn't matter this year.

My advice is the same. If you get AAA, ring up Bristol on results day and ask if there's any chance of a clearing spot for Dentistry, you've had an interview already and you have the required grades. If they don't have spaces, they don't have spaces. Universities will have ceilings for how many students they can take on each course for a multitude of reasons.

Expect the answer to be no, and prepare for your other options.

Do you have a university offer at the moment?
Yes but it’s A*AA
Yes but it’s A*AA

So you're holding a firm offer of A*AA and are trying to source a back-up option for if you miss it and get AAA instead?

Firstly if it's only one grade a university will often give out a near-miss offer on results day anyway. Meaning you will get into your firm even though you slightly missed the grades. Don't bank on it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did in that scenario.
Original post by 04MR17
So you're holding a firm offer of A*AA and are trying to source a back-up option for if you miss it and get AAA instead?

Firstly if it's only one grade a university will often give out a near-miss offer on results day anyway. Meaning you will get into your firm even though you slightly missed the grades. Don't bank on it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did in that scenario.

Yes A*AA is my firm. I’m just worried about the A* but on the offer holders day the admissions team stated that there’s a vast number of applicants on the waiting list, therefore if I don’t achieve the A*AA then I won’t be given the place
Yes A*AA is my firm. I’m just worried about the A* but on the offer holders day the admissions team stated that there’s a vast number of applicants on the waiting list, therefore if I don’t achieve the A*AA then I won’t be given the place

That doesn't change my advice.

Plan A - Get A*AA or better and go to your firm.
Plan B - Get AAA and receive a near miss offer.
Plan C - Get AAA and phone up Bristol on the off chance they have a space.

What you really need to work on is Plan D onwards...
Original post by 04MR17
That doesn't change my advice.

Plan A - Get A*AA or better and go to your firm.
Plan B - Get AAA and receive a near miss offer.
Plan C - Get AAA and phone up Bristol on the off chance they have a space.

What you really need to work on is Plan D onwards...

Ok got you. Thank you! Just have to wait till the 10th I guess

Quick Reply

Latest