The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Clearing and Adjustment 2021

Scroll to see replies

if you have a long term mental or physical health condition and you tell them about it you get sent to the front of the queue. obviously you need to provide evidence from a doctor but just in case anyone does have something like that that they didnt immediately mention like me you NEED TO TELL THEM because it will basically secure you a place
University of York
York
Original post by slingman333
if you have a long term mental or physical health condition and you tell them about it you get sent to the front of the queue. obviously you need to provide evidence from a doctor but just in case anyone does have something like that that they didnt immediately mention like me you NEED TO TELL THEM because it will basically secure you a place

Have you got a place
Original post by Silverdollars
Have you got a place

well not bragging just trying to help people who might have missed that but yeah
Original post by School02
This is what i mean different people are advising different things as some were like wait as they are looking at other things and people might cancel their accommodation. And some are just saying that theres no hope basically and then not helping. They said they couldn't even tell me how many people are above me in the list. Did you miss the deadline of the guarantee or did you apply through clearing.

Basically york was my insurance because I only come out with AAAB so I didn’t get into my first choice where I had literally sorted everything out for. Probably me just being a bit too optimistic but now I’m in this dilemma of having no where to stay. I feel like it’s not only the fact we have no where to stay but like we are also going to miss out on the experience and how’s freshers going to go if we end up living alone ?
Good for you, from what I can tell people have tried everything to get up the list. The uni stance on this is shocking. Not even sure I want to go there now. 3 weeks of non stop stress. Even the student reps have stopped commenting on this post. I’m going to give it a few more days then write a massive complaint. I could be going to Lancaster, Southampton or Durham with accommodation sorted.

well best of luck mate sure youll have a good time somewhere else
It’s so rubbish. If your mum or dad has what’s app I can get my mum to add them on to a parents chat there’s about 12 parents discussing what to do

Omg great yeah if you could send me the invite that would be great
Original post by School02
This is what i mean different people are advising different things as some were like wait as they are looking at other things and people might cancel their accommodation. And some are just saying that theres no hope basically and then not helping. They said they couldn't even tell me how many people are above me in the list. Did you miss the deadline of the guarantee or did you apply through clearing.

hey school02 i got your message but student room isnt letting me send private messages yet if u want to chat add me on snap 'slingman1314'
Original post by slingman333
well best of luck mate sure youll have a good time somewhere else

Yes good luck to you too!
Reply 88
as a concerned parent of a daughter also waiting - please could you let me know how to join the parents whatts app group (snap chat not for me!)With thanks
Reply 89
Yes good luck to you too!

TSR won't let me reply to your private message?
Can you send me the mobile number (via private message) please
Reply 90
Original post by daisy534
Omg great yeah if you could send me the invite that would be great

could you send me the invite as well please?
I’m a second year student at the Uni of York and I ended up in student castle last year due to a lack of accommodation on campus. A couple weeks into term last year, places on campus started appearing as people dropped out of the uni. I can’t guarantee this will happen this year, but chances are if you give it a bit of time you may be able to move onto campus. Make sure you’re in as many freshers and uni of york Facebook groups as possible and something may come up. However, I don’t know how many people will drop out this year and therefore I don’t know how many places on campus will become available. So, I also had a look at some of the private accommodation options for this year. On the website of IQ the brickworks there’s a ‘notify me button’ which you can click and you can be told if accommodation becomes available. Student roost- the boulevard also has a waiting list you can join. Vita student also has the same, where you can click something which says ‘tell me if availability changes’. Student castle has an email which you can message and join the waiting list through that. The coal yard also has a waiting list. I know it’s not ideal by a long stretch and I hope you all manage to find some accommodation :smile:
Original post by Vegab13_
I’m a second year student at the Uni of York and I ended up in student castle last year due to a lack of accommodation on campus. A couple weeks into term last year, places on campus started appearing as people dropped out of the uni. I can’t guarantee this will happen this year, but chances are if you give it a bit of time you may be able to move onto campus. Make sure you’re in as many freshers and uni of york Facebook groups as possible and something may come up. However, I don’t know how many people will drop out this year and therefore I don’t know how many places on campus will become available. So, I also had a look at some of the private accommodation options for this year. On the website of IQ the brickworks there’s a ‘notify me button’ which you can click and you can be told if accommodation becomes available. Student roost- the boulevard also has a waiting list you can join. Vita student also has the same, where you can click something which says ‘tell me if availability changes’. Student castle has an email which you can message and join the waiting list through that. The coal yard also has a waiting list. I know it’s not ideal by a long stretch and I hope you all manage to find some accommodation :smile:

I think you should work for the accommodation team! That’s the best help I’ve had since I got my Alevel grades. I’m going to go and register all those place now. Thanks so much!!!!!!
Hello all,

Please see below a response from our Accommodation Team which we hope will reassure you about accommodation arrangements at the University of York in 2021 and beyond. We’d like to thank you all for your continued patience at what we understand is a very difficult and unsettling time.

There has been a higher demand for University-provided accommodation this year, which has taken longer than normal to resolve and we are extremely sorry for the impact and uncertainty this is creating for students.

Below is a message for both prospective students in the future, as well as an update about support we are offering for students this year.

Prospective students considering York from September 2022 onwards

In response to growing demand for University-provided rooms, we are investing in purpose-built student accommodation. We will have new rooms available from 2022 in our two new colleges (Anne Lister College and David Kato College). These will provide significant additional accommodation for our students.

As part of your application to York, we always encourage you to accept your accommodation offer as soon as it is made, to give you immediate peace of mind that your room is secured. If accommodation offers are not accepted by the deadline, they are released to other students, so we always remind you to ensure that you are regularly checking for University of York emails, including checking your junk/spam folders.

Current situation for students September 2021

We have now completed the allocation of accommodation to any student who met our criteria for a guaranteed room offer because they applied by our accommodation deadline of 27 July 2021.

For this year, due to the unprecedented demand for accommodation across the City of York, where we have not been able to accommodate some students on our own campus, we have offered student accommodation in either Hull or Leeds. Any rooms not accepted will be re-offered to students who are still on our waiting list.

We appreciate that living outside of York is not an ideal situation, but students placed in either Hull or Leeds will be living with other University of York students in dedicated student accommodation, and will have active support from our College teams. Our Student Unions are also developing a package of additional services and social activities.

Hull and Leeds have large student populations and are regarded as a very welcoming and affordable place for students to live, and we will be advising on the best transport options to enable you to easily travel to and from the University of York.

The rooms we have secured are being offered to students at a reduced rate compared to the published weekly price, as a disturbance allowance.

We have answered FAQs on our website:

- FAQs for students allocated accommodation in Hull
- FAQs for students allocated accommodation in Leeds

We’d like to thank everyone for their continued patience at what we understand is a very difficult and unsettling time.

Many thanks,

University of York TSR Team
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi thanks for your message. I spoke to them earlier and they said just to wait. They said that they are working through everyone. If I haven’t heard anything in a couple of weeks to ring back and also that if I’m not allocated anything to start looking for private rental….. so it wasn’t very clear really. They couldn’t tell me how many rooms they have left or if it was likely I’d get one. I don’t really know what to do as I will have to defer if I don’t have anywhere to stay. I don’t want to live on my own or with non students. They also didn’t know how long it will take till I’m considered. I’m a bit in limbo…

did u find somewhere to stay
Original post by Youareloved111
did u find somewhere to stay

Yes thank goodness. Have you?
Yes thank goodness. Have you?

aha no - im applying this year - I just wanted to know if u had a good ending or not :smile: hope ur room is nice though
Original post by Youareloved111
aha no - im applying this year - I just wanted to know if u had a good ending or not :smile: hope ur room is nice though

Thank you. York is a lovely place x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending