Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

University of Exeter Clearing and Adjustment 2021

Posting to subscribe :bl:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I had an offer from Exeter and met all requirements but missed out on a subject requirement, the university told me to wait until August 10th as they want equal consideration however would it be better for me to apply through clearing instead as I do meet those requirements and get a response much faster than if I am an offer holder?
Original post by Anonymousman010
I had an offer from Exeter and met all requirements but missed out on a subject requirement, the university told me to wait until August 10th as they want equal consideration however would it be better for me to apply through clearing instead as I do meet those requirements and get a response much faster than if I am an offer holder?
I take it you're IB?
And what does Track display as for you?

I would make a list of all the unis you do meet the requirements do meet and spend some time having a thorough research of their courses. If it were me, before 10th August I would phone up my top choice unis from my list and ask if they would take me hypothetically through clearing. If any say yes, and I would 100% prefer to go there than have a chance at being at Exeter, I would phone up Exeter and ask them to reject you. You can then enter clearing and add your new university through there.

If you would still like to go to Exeter but have verbal offers with deadlines, ring Exeter back up one morning before 10th Aug and say "I am holding a verbal offer from two other universities, I would prefer to attend Exeter, but if I don't hear back about my application by 5pm I will be taking my custom to another institution"

If they want you, they'll move. If they don't offer you a place on that day, it's unlikely they'd have given you it on 10th August anyway in my opinion.
Original post by 04MR17
I take it you're IB?
And what does Track display as for you?

I would make a list of all the unis you do meet the requirements do meet and spend some time having a thorough research of their courses. If it were me, before 10th August I would phone up my top choice unis from my list and ask if they would take me hypothetically through clearing. If any say yes, and I would 100% prefer to go there than have a chance at being at Exeter, I would phone up Exeter and ask them to reject you. You can then enter clearing and add your new university through there.

If you would still like to go to Exeter but have verbal offers with deadlines, ring Exeter back up one morning before 10th Aug and say "I am holding a verbal offer from two other universities, I would prefer to attend Exeter, but if I don't hear back about my application by 5pm I will be taking my custom to another institution"

If they want you, they'll move. If they don't offer you a place on that day, it's unlikely they'd have given you it on 10th August anyway in my opinion.

Track for me still says conditional offer (firmed) so it’s still pending. However, the email Exeter sent stated that they need to make a decision as I met the main requirement but not the subject one so should I still somewhat go ahead with what you’ve said?
Original post by Anonymousman010

Hello @Anonymousman010,

Just picked up this query now - apologies for only spotting this now, I appreciate you might have resolved this now.

The best thing I could say is speak to one of the Admissions Team directly to confirm what exactly the email text means and where it leaves you in the meantime and what your options are. You can speak to them on the phone by calling 0300 555 60 60 (UK callers) or +44 (0)1392 723044 (EU/International callers). Alternatively you can use our contact form: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/enquiry/

Based upon what you have said, we are considering being flexible but cannot finalise this decision until we have received all of the other students results and know how many spaces we have on the programme. If all other students meet their offer, we will have less ability to to be flexible, if lots of students narrowly miss their offer, we may be more flexible. Again, this is speculation by me but likely to be the reason for making you wait until 10th August for a final decision

There is nothing stopping you applying through Clearing- but again it may be good to speak to one of the team directly to ensure everything is very clear. It is sensible to research some other options and establish a backup plan. If any universities have clearing spaces there certainly no harm in applying if you are interested in studying with them (but of course you cannot accept an offer until you are released by Exeter, so just bear this in mind).

Sorry I cannot provide you with more information myself - hopefully, this is sorted out soon if not already. Good luck and fingers crossed we will see you at Exeter soon.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
I have decided already that I would like to apply to Exeter through clearing even though I do not have my results. Over the past month, I've decided that the course and University I had initially applied to is not for me. Is there anything I can do ahead of results day on 10th August to assist me in gaining a place at Exeter?
Reply 7
Original post by _harryrothwell_
I have decided already that I would like to apply to Exeter through clearing even though I do not have my results. Over the past month, I've decided that the course and University I had initially applied to is not for me. Is there anything I can do ahead of results day on 10th August to assist me in gaining a place at Exeter?

This is me too! Exeter has a page on their site where they go through what you could expect from them in Clearing on results day: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/ is the general one but I found https://www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/preparingforclearing/ especially useful and you might as well? You can also find loads of advice in UniGuide articles or similar. Good luck!
Original post by _harryrothwell_

Hello @_harryrothwell_

It is great to hear that you are considering Exeter. The best advice I can give is to have access to our up to date list of clearing courses: https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/home/ All applications through clearing need to go through the from linked from this list. You will need to have your confirmed results from GCSE upwards to complete the form so ensure you have this information to hand when you complete it.

If you look at the application form now you can read the guidance on how to complete it so you know what info you need on the day and are as prepared as you can be.

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions about clearing or Exeter please let me know. Otherwise best of luck to you on results day.

Melody
The link to Exeter clearing no longer shows the list of available spaces by subject matter. I’m assuming this is because we are nearing the deadline for the exam results and not that all the spaces have now been taken up?
When I looked previously the link even gave the accepted grades for each subject so I’m surprised this is no longer the case. Could you please confirm I am now not looking in the wrong place and the clearing subjects will not now be available until Tuesday.
Many thanks
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to apply to Exeter via UCAS adjustment on Tuesday. Does anyone know how the process differs to Clearing; do i need to fill in a form and/or call?

Also, does anyone know how accommodation is allocated to clearing applicants?

TIA
Original post by pippachal
The link to Exeter clearing no longer shows the list of available spaces by subject matter. I’m assuming this is because we are nearing the deadline for the exam results and not that all the spaces have now been taken up?
When I looked previously the link even gave the accepted grades for each subject so I’m surprised this is no longer the case. Could you please confirm I am now not looking in the wrong place and the clearing subjects will not now be available until Tuesday.
Many thanks

Hello @pippachal,

Thank you for your question and for checking - the live list has been taken down temporarily until 8:30am on 10th August. You are correct that until the UCAS embargo lifts we will not have the live list showing as we make final adjustments to those subjects which will have availability in clearing and adjustment.

I hope this answers your question. Do let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Melody
Original post by amy8282727
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to apply to Exeter via UCAS adjustment on Tuesday. Does anyone know how the process differs to Clearing; do i need to fill in a form and/or call?

Also, does anyone know how accommodation is allocated to clearing applicants?

TIA

Hello @amy8282727,

The process for applying for Adjustment is the same as clearing. Vacancies can be viewed on our clearing webpages and then spaces applied for through the linked online form. You can find the list of subjects available here: https://vacancies.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/home/ (please per in mind this has temporarily been taken down in preparation for tomorrow morning, it will go live at 8:30am on Tuesday 10th Aug).

I hope this answers your question - good luck!

Melody
Hi,Does anyone know if there will be any more clearing spaces for UK students at Exeter? As right now there’s only three overall topics with vacancies where as there was a lot more a few weeks ago. Is there any chance the spaces to International students will open to UK or no and would it be worth ringing to check? Thank you :smile:
Original post by aoideeee
Hi,Does anyone know if there will be any more clearing spaces for UK students at Exeter? As right now there’s only three overall topics with vacancies where as there was a lot more a few weeks ago. Is there any chance the spaces to International students will open to UK or no and would it be worth ringing to check? Thank you :smile:

Hello @aoideeee,

Thank you for your interest in Exeter!

The three programmes listed in clearing are the only ones that will be open for clearing for UK students. Once we received student results we found that the majority of our programmes had reached capacity. As these programmes are filled we are not operating any waiting lists for any other programmes and will not be opening them later in the day.

We have separate targets for International and UK students, reflecting the strategies we have in place for their support academically and in terms of the overall student experience for all. Although this varies by programme, we usually fill our UK places earlier in the admissions cycle than those for International students. This has been especially true during the pandemic, when many international students have faced immense disruption, uncertainty and travel restrictions at home.

We want to give international applicants every opportunity to study at Exeter and some are making these decisions late, as restrictions ease and as vaccines and flights become available. We are not doing this at the expense of opportunities for UK students. This year, we have made several hundred additional spaces available for UK students, in recognition of the high attainment they have demonstrated and their commitment to study across the pandemic period.

I am sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping for, but hope it clarifies things. You are very welcome to call the Admissions helpline but they will only be able to provide you with the same information. Do let me know if you have any further queries that I can help with.

Melody
Hi I applied through clearing on the form on the website, do you know how many days it will take for Exeter to reach a decision? Thank you @University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I applied through clearing on the form on the website, do you know how many days it will take for Exeter to reach a decision? Thank you @University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two

Hello Anonymous,

Sorry for the slight delay in getting back to you. There is no formal timespan/guarantee that I can give about the length of time it will take for the Admissions team to assess your application. I hope you will have heard prior to the weekend but if not I am sure the team will be working as quickly as they can today - although I cannot make a promise I would say you should have hoped to hear within a (working) day or two assuming you included all the information they need to make a decision. It is worth keeping an eye on emails in case they request any additional information/evidence. . I assume you received a confirmation emails when you submitted the form?

Fingers crossed for you!

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest