The Student Room Group

Free A-Level or GCSE Maths or Physics help

Recently finished my A-levels and have a bunch of time on my hands. Got 9 grade 9s and predicted 3 A*s.

If you need help with a particular question in Maths or Physics, or just need a topic explained put it here in the chat or DM me and I'll do my best to answer :smile:
Any advice on transition to A level for physics and maths?
please tell me how to revise maths a level effectively I literally got a c in my year 12 mock
Reply 3
I feel for your situation, given the lack of teaching last year, but Im sure you'll be able to improve your grades with more teaching in Yr 13 :smile:. heres my advice

1. Do as many questions in the textbook, and all the hardest questions, as these are most likely to come up. Do them as if in an exam, meaning show LOTS of logical working, neatly, and attempt to check your answers at the end before you check the markscheme. Closer to exams, do exam papers.

2. Mark every question immediately after you do it. Understand the markscheme: why the method was used? what clues in the question suggests this method? still don't understand, then use youtube or a teacher.

3. Note your mistakes, and make a plan to never make them again. I know it sounds like more work than needed, but you cant just hope to remember not to make the same mistakes again. for example:
--->If you make sign errors (+ rather than -), include more brackets (more brackets the better always!), and expand more slowly in more lines of working.
---> If you substitue in the wrong value, write out " sub x = ... into ...."

4. Learn how to check your answers. Almost every question can be checked without a markscheme. Lots of different ways of doing this but usually, do this by substituting a value in (like x = 3 wherever appears) and check answer and question produce the same numerical answer.

goodluck!
Reply 4
Maths: Lots of questions, see my reply below

Physics:

Lessons are even more important here. you have to grasp the concept completely, as early as possible. Obviously things will become clearer as you progress through a topic, but aim never to leave a class confused. So always ask questions, and keep asking until you are confident in them.

Get yourself a couple of different textbooks, so you can get information from a wide variety of sources. CGP is a good place for the basic revision notes.

Do questions for each topic as you go along, specifically for your exam board. use https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com

Once you understand the topics, I would suggest a combination of flashcards for learning facts and LOTS of questions to consolidate exam technique. Make sure you go though your exam boards spec and understand how to do every bullet point.

Goodluck!

Quick Reply

Latest