pudma122
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys,
For the entry to medicine 2022 has anyone been able to find work experience at medical sites? I have been trying but hospices have told me that due to the pandemic they have stopped so I thinking to apply to a paid healthcare assistant role however I just graduated from university doing BioMed and receiving a 1st, do you think they will say I'm too over qualified for the role?? I'm so unsure and I need to book UCAT.
AliceKS
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Maybe try volunteering with vaccinations, but also don't worry too much about it because literally no one has got "proper" work experience this year, unless they have family members who can pull strings for them which is a tad unfair, try some of the virtual WEx out there eg. BSMS, Observe GP. Any part time work in a people facing role is good too and volunteering in a charity shop etc. Just remember to note down experiences anonymously and reflect on any skills/experiences etc and link to the NHS values/constitution. Good luck!
asclepeion
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pudma122)
so I thinking to apply to a paid healthcare assistant role however I just graduated from university doing BioMed and receiving a 1st, do you think they will say I'm too over qualified for the role?? I'm so unsure and I need to book UCAT.
They won't, they'll ask general interview questions like why do you want this role, what do you hope to get out of it, do you have any relevant experiences and scenario based questions involving the patient.
Did quite a few HCA interviews with a 1st BSc and Distinction masters and no one thought I was overqualified. If anything, I didn't get most of the jobs because no prior experience as a HCA so it was applying for quite a lot of band 2 positions and hoping someone would give me an offer to fulfil Warwick's work experience requirements.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Work experience thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6929328
turkeydinosaur16
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pudma122)
Hi guys,
For the entry to medicine 2022 has anyone been able to find work experience at medical sites? I have been trying but hospices have told me that due to the pandemic they have stopped so I thinking to apply to a paid healthcare assistant role however I just graduated from university doing BioMed and receiving a 1st, do you think they will say I'm too over qualified for the role?? I'm so unsure and I need to book UCAT.
There are online opportunities such as BSMS Virtual Work Experience and Observe GP that aim to simulate in person work experience. I volunteered at a care home up until the pandemic which formed the only in-person experience I really had (I applied for 2021 entry). Might be worth asking local homes if they are taking volunteers again. Experience at a school/ nursery can also be an alternative. Bottom line is the quality of the experience doesn't depend on where it is on what you were doing but what you can reflect on based on the experience. It may be slightly different this year but from my experience from previous cycle is that universities were pretty understanding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (64)
32.65%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.55%
No (52)
26.53%
I'm not sure (26)
13.27%

Watched Threads