The Student Room Group

Trainee Detective Constable course

Hi there, I have just completed year 12 and have started to look into detail into what I want to do as a career post sixth form. I have always been interested in policing (especially detectives) and the problem solving that comes with it, I have been doing my research and have come across a course the MET do which allows people to become a trainee detective constable without having previous policing experience which is great as I would rather go straight into becoming a detective. However, I’m in the dark about when applications are open and the process in which I need to undertake into becoming a trainee detective constable as I’m unsure in whether they still do this course. I know I have a while until I need to start applying for this but it would be useful to know now so I can prepare post sixth form.

Many thanks
Reply 1
Hi Josh,
I suppose you could have a look at the policing apprenticeship after your sixth form studies. The MET still run the scheme, and you would need to check and apply nearer that time.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, I’ll have a look at that, would it give me a good opportunity to get into the detective scheme they have there?
Reply 3
Yes it will give you a good opportunity for the detective programme.
I am aware there's a graduate scheme for the detective programme but for someone like you without a degree you will realistically have to go bia the apprenticeship scheme.
Good luck with it all :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you, I had another look and it said about having a 2 year course and a uni where the met are partnered with to do a degree there as part of the scheme so I’m unsure in whether having a degree beforehand matters but tank you for all the help it has benefited massively :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JoshDecarte
Thank you, I had another look and it said about having a 2 year course and a uni where the met are partnered with to do a degree there as part of the scheme so I’m unsure in whether having a degree beforehand matters but tank you for all the help it has benefited massively :smile:

No worries Josh, that's fine I understand it can seem a bit confusing to grasp what route to follow. However, it depends on what route you plan to follow, you could say perhaps go to uni after sixth form to do a standard honours degree and then after graduation apy to the MET via the graduate entry detective programme. Or like in your case which is before a degree you would need to apply directly to MET via the apprenticeship scheme. After successfully passing through the recruitment process (which is quite long and thorough I must say), then you would be accepted into one of the universities the MET partners with to start your degree programme in becoming a police constable which I believe opportunities in pursuing a detective career is very much available.
Good luck with it all, or get back hear to clarify anything.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for this, has helped massively as I was quite in the dark with everything, would you know how long the application process takes because I’m looking to do it soon so
Many thanks
Reply 7
Hi again Josh,
I'm not too sure to be honest about the length of time for the apprenticeship programme but for the degree holder entry programme, I'd say anything up to a year. I'd assume they'll be roughly the time to be honest but start as soon as possible as the application processes aren't open all the time. Thankfully, it's currently open and the link is below:
https://www.met.police.uk/car/careers/met/police-officer-roles/police-constable/overview/entry-routes/

Good luck with the process :smile:
Reply 8
Sorry for the delay in response, that’s very helpful as I didn’t realise it was open right now so I’ll get to starting it. Are there any benefits from doing the apprenticeship over the degree holders or are they the same?
Many thanks
Reply 9
The apprenticeship scheme I believe is the PC route, but I'm pretty sure there will be opportunities to pursue being a detective after the programme. However if you do choose to go off and do another degree elsewhere and then apply via the degree holder detective scheme afterwards ( which I'm currently partaking in) you aren't guaranteed when or if this route will be open in the future. At least with the apprenticeship scheme you are already in the system and can manoeuvre as and when opportunities become available in the force.

Thank you very much, I’ll probably go down the detective scheme and try and partake in that and hopefully it goes well, thank you so much with the help as it has benefited me lots
Reply 11
Hey Josh,
No worries, please be informed that the detective scheme is only eligible for degree holders. You have to have your degree before you apply or be in your final year ready to graduate.
Either way, check out the MET entry routes and read through thoroughly to make an informed decision prior to your application.
Good luck with it all :smile:
Yeah I found that you needed to have a degree prior to it, I’m now looking to do an apprenticeship as a PC and work my way into being a DC as I don’t really want the debt that comes with uni, do you know if it is still open and easy to become a DC from being a PC for 2 years?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending