The Student Room Group

sleep paralysis in islam

hi, i’m a 18 year old girl who was born into a muslim family. growing up, islam was forced onto me too much to the point where i turned away from it. i wanted to start loving it at my own pace and wanted to start following the rules when IM ready. so i stopped praying, i started doing haram things etc,.. especially because i live in a christian country.
i really wanted to get back into islam and i would cut off haram things and pray again but that would only last a couple of days before i went back to how i used to be.

but i got sleep paralysis 2-3 times over the course of the last couple of years. it happened again two nights ago. i dreamt that i fell into a lake and was drowning. i couldn’t hear or see or swim, i was drowning and i knew i was dying. i subconsciously realized it’s a dream and wanted to wake up, but it didn’t work, i literally felt the water on my body that’s when i thought it’s not a dream but i’m actually dying. i couldn’t recite any verse from the quran even though i know many. i didn’t feel any pressure like smth (jinn) was sitting on me. i kept thinking ‘oh i wish i had been a better muslim before i died’ .. i don’t know what to think at all.. is it a sign from allah swt?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No not necessarily
There are many reasons why a person can undergo sleep paralysis
Could simply be a sign of stress etc

But of course it's never too late to repent regardless
Original post by tanxys
hi, i’m a 18 year old girl who was born into a muslim family. growing up, islam was forced onto me too much to the point where i turned away from it. i wanted to start loving it at my own pace and wanted to start following the rules when IM ready. so i stopped praying, i started doing haram things etc,.. especially because i live in a christian country.
i really wanted to get back into islam and i would cut off haram things and pray again but that would only last a couple of days before i went back to how i used to be.

but i got sleep paralysis 2-3 times over the course of the last couple of years. it happened again two nights ago. i dreamt that i fell into a lake and was drowning. i couldn’t hear or see or swim, i was drowning and i knew i was dying. i subconsciously realized it’s a dream and wanted to wake up, but it didn’t work, i literally felt the water on my body that’s when i thought it’s not a dream but i’m actually dying. i couldn’t recite any verse from the quran even though i know many. i didn’t feel any pressure like smth (jinn) was sitting on me. i kept thinking ‘oh i wish i had been a better muslim before i died’ .. i don’t know what to think at all.. is it a sign from allah swt?

No, it’s not a sign from Allah. Have you seen your GP about the sleep paralysis?
Original post by tanxys

Got nothing to do with jins
Coz when I got it I read Ayat allkursi🤣🤣 and nothing changed👈👈

My mom said try not to sleep on ur back
Reply 4
Hi sister. i would recommend that you make sure to always recite ayat ul kursi and the Last 4 surahs (Kafiroon, Ikhlas, Falaq, Nas) before bed. If you really want to get into your faith again you should repent for all your sins and to never be proud of them, we are all sinners by nature but feeling guilt from them is the sign of Iman. At the end of the day i am not experienced or knowledgeable at all so i’d recommend talking to a sheikh. May Allah Guide You, Ameen.
Original post by elz001
Hi sister. I’m sorry but you’re asking the wrong forum, all you will get here is Kufar bashing you for your faith. i would recommend that you make sure to always recite ayat ul kursi and the Last 4 surahs (Kafiroon, Ikhlas, Falaq, Nas) before bed. If you really want to get into your faith again you should repent for all your sins and to never be proud of them, we are all sinners by nature but feeling guilt from them is the sign of Iman. At the end of the day i am not experienced or knowledgeable at all so i’d recommend talking to a sheikh. May Allah Guide You, Ameen.

Kafiroon is not one of the last four chapters. But I get the idea.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonbro1
Kafiroon is not one of the last four chapters. But I get the idea.

yep. i meant the muawwidhatain, so Nas and Falaq.
Original post by tanxys

It's not a sign from anyone or anything. Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon that happens to people of all religious beliefs as well as to those who don't believe in any faith.
(edited 2 years ago)
Sleep paralysis is quite common for a lot of people. It's not anything to do with jinn. Don't be scared when it happens, just stay still and let the moment pass, don't try to move around and shake out of it because that can make it worse.
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
It's not a sign from anyone or anything. Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon that happens to people of all religious beliefs as well as to those who don't believe in any faith.

well said mr celtic:smile:

however @Justaboutalive maybe you know:biggrin:
Can’t lie this could possibly be a sign & I totally understand what you mean by being forced into the religion I used to stay with my aunt and I was practically forced into Islam when I was a Christian. I do like the religion and respect it but wish I was able to get into it at my own pace. But this could possibly be a sign. God works in different ways. TRUST ME THIS IS A SIGN!!!!!!! Speak to God about it. Try praying again and see if there are any differences in your life.
Original post by Wise Goldie
well said mr celtic:smile:

however @Justaboutalive maybe you know:biggrin:

Lol i used to get sleep paralysis a lot.
Tbh what Op describes sounds more like a bad dream, i used to feel pressure and paralysis but it all passed, its nothing to be afraid of.

As for what OP said, she felt a feeling of wanting to be a better muslim, , it may or may not be a sign but she could think of this as a reminder or even a wakeup call to be a better muslim too. I would support that decision .

Original post by tanxys

Original post by Justaboutalive
Lol i used to get sleep paralysis a lot.
Tbh what Op describes sounds more like a bad dream, i used to feel pressure and paralysis but it all passed, its nothing to be afraid of.

As for what OP said, she felt a feeling of wanting to be a better muslim, , it may or may not be a sign but she could think of this as a reminder or even a wakeup call to be a better muslim too. I would support that decision .

thanks saji sorry if you did not want tagging lol:biggrin:
All I can say is thank god this is just sleep paralysis and not people giving dangerous advice about psychosis again.

Sleep paralysis is normally pretty harmless, so interpret as you like. Make sure you're getting enough sleep.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Bixbot123
Can’t lie this could possibly be a sign

TRUST ME THIS IS A SIGN!!!!!!!

:holmes:
(edited 2 years ago)
Sleep paralysis happens when your body and consciousness get out of synch - your body is still in "sleep paralysis" mode while your mind is is "waking up" mode. It's often when you are over-tired, so try to avoid that. Not going to sleep on your back helps some people too.

The feelings of suffocation and terror are horrible, but a normal part of the phenomenon. Nothing really bad is actually happening, and you will wake up within seconds or a few minutes.
No, it's not a sign. Your brain paralyses your muscles during REM sleep to stop you acting out your dreams, and sleep paralysis is what happens when you become conscious while your body is still paralysed. We don't live in the Middle Ages anymore, so religious explanations for scientific phenomena are completely unnecessary.
Studies have suggested that supernatural beliefs tend to make sleep paralysis scarier as your beliefs can influence any hallucinations you might experience.
(edited 2 years ago)
I didn't say it was a sign I just said what the cause of it was
Kaboos, aka al jathoom
Original post by tanxys

No it's not a sign. It's a dream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending