University of Sheffield Sociology student - Ask me anything!

Watch
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone!

I'm Georgia, and i have just completed my second year studying Sociology here at the University of Sheffield! I am a home student, and have lived here in Sheffield with my family my whole life.

During my time at University i have worked as a student ambassador taking part in many different jobs such as helping out with campus tours, virtual Q&As, and creating content for the Universities website and social media pages! I have also been lucky enough to gain some placement experience over summer which was organised for me by the University!

Outside of University, my hobbies include going to the gym, eating out, snuggles and walks with my dog, and reading! Alongside this, i also have a part time job as a retail supervisor (i like to keep myself busy!).

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about Sociology, being a home student, gaining placement experience at University, balancing study and work, or any other general questions you may have, i'm here to help!

I will be online throughout the week, and i look forward to hearing from you guys!

-Georgia
Last edited by University of Sheffield Students; 2 months ago
mothmen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey! i'll be starting sociology w. criminology this year.
- how/when do you choose modules?
- is there a limit to how many modules you can take in a semester/year?
- could you give an example of how a timetable/schedule would work? are they applicable?
- are there exams per module? how are yougraded for them; does it vary?
- how much do you study per day/week? do you think it's too little, too much, etc?
thanks in advance (:
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mothmen)
hey! i'll be starting sociology w. criminology this year.
- how/when do you choose modules?
- is there a limit to how many modules you can take in a semester/year?
- could you give an example of how a timetable/schedule would work? are they applicable?
- are there exams per module? how are yougraded for them; does it vary?
- how much do you study per day/week? do you think it's too little, too much, etc?
thanks in advance (:
Hi, mothmen

Its great to see you are going to start your degree this year, you have an amazing 3 years ahead of you! I'll go through your questions one by one to try and give you the most clear information possible!

1) For your first year, i choose my modules during my induction week in September, this happened in the octagon centre where there was a different stall for each module, and you were able to walk round, take in all the information, and then make your decisions. This may however be different this year with COVID, so it might be worth speaking to the admissions team if you have any further questions about that!
2) Yes- there is a limit. For me, i could use 120 credits per academic year, and each module is typically worth 20 credits, so it equated to around 3 modules per semester (as there is 2 semesters in an academic year). However my course is strictly sociology, so if you're doing a dual course of sociology with criminology, you might find your number of modules to be slightly different.
3) In terms of timetable, your timetable will be the same for each semester, and will then change as you go into your second semester and your modules change. Timetables include strictly lectures and seminars, so its up to you to plan your independent study time in-between. In terms of an example of a timetable, in my first year i had 4 lectures per week, followed by 4 seminars each week, totalling 8 hours of scheduled study time, and these can vary over different days/times depending on when your lecturer/seminar leader is teaching.
4) For me, assessment varied between modules. Some were 100% exam, some were 100% essay, and some were 50/50. Since COVID, all my assessments have been in essay form, but i did sit some exams in first year. In terms of grading, it is the same for all modules/assessments, i was grading for every exam/essay out of 100. Anything below 50 was a fail, 50-59 was a 2:2, 60-69 was a 2:1, and 70 and above was a first.
5) In terms of how much i personally study each week, i have a-lot more free time than i did during A-levels, however its important to pan your time wisely, as i always have a lot of independent work to get done. My typically week would consist of 3-4 days at University, however days aren't always full days, sometimes they might just be a morning or an afternoon. I typically have around 8 hours of lectures and seminars each week, and my personal study time varies depending on how much i have to do that week, i typically spend any time i between seminars and lectures in the library working through my to do list! I think the amount i study is the perfect balance - i work very hard in the week in order to allow myself to work part time in the evenings, and see my friends and family over the weekends

I hope all this information is helpful! Again - please remember this is my personal experience from my specific course, so your details may be slightly different! But if you have any further questions at all about the course or the University - please reply below, i am happy to give you all the information you may need!

Have a great day!
Georgia
Last edited by University of Sheffield Students; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.32%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.32%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.32%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
48.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (9)
21.95%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.44%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
4.88%

Watched Threads