The Student Room Group

BRTC - any questions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Melbury
Did anyone take an iPad or laptop? Don’t want to not take one if others do. Thanks

Yeah take whatever gadgets you want. I took a laptop, so did a few others.
Original post by CW0107
Would you recommend learning how to iron and polish shoes etc. beforehand. As I know they teach you how to in training but i’m not the best at ironing at the moment and join at the end of this month.

Also, is it true you get split into different PT classes depending on your fitness levels?

Practice your ironing! You’ll be ironing so much, literally every day so it definitely helps to be good at it before going in. As for polishing, you’ll get plenty of lessons on it and the instructors will help you. You don’t really need to practice this before going but wouldn’t hurt I suppose.

As for the PT sessions it’s not true that you get split into different classes. However on the running sessions you will get split into 3 different groups depending on your running abilities. But as for the other sessions it’s all together. They don’t really care what your ability is they just want max effort.
Reply 22
Original post by Qwertyuiop993
Practice your ironing! You’ll be ironing so much, literally every day so it definitely helps to be good at it before going in. As for polishing, you’ll get plenty of lessons on it and the instructors will help you. You don’t really need to practice this before going but wouldn’t hurt I suppose.

As for the PT sessions it’s not true that you get split into different classes. However on the running sessions you will get split into 3 different groups depending on your running abilities. But as for the other sessions it’s all together. They don’t really care what your ability is they just want max effort.

Thank you!!
Reply 23
What can cause you to get back flighted?
Original post by CW0107
What can cause you to get back flighted?

Lots of things. It’s actually really common to get reflighted and not nearly as bad as everyone thinks.
People got reflighted for failing fitness tests & inspections. Also injuries.
There’s also lots of different tests in general service knowledge, cbrn and first aid. You can fail the theory tests but no one did on my intake. There’s also first aid and cbrn practical tests. No one got reflighted for first aid but a few got reflighted for cbrn.
CPT is very tough but you’d only really get reflighted if you had a bad attitude or improper weapons handling.
Also could get reflighted for failing day 63 inspection, I certainly almost did and so did many others.
So yeah lots of ways to get reflighted but if you get your head down and work hard you’ll pass through with flying colours. But if you do get reflighted it’s not the end of the world. It’s a bit rubbish you’ll leave your new friends behind but you’ll make new ones. And it’s only two weeks.
Is there anything that isn't on the kitlist that you'd recommend taking?
A big washing kit bag!
A few added small things as well like the twist leg ties which come very useful for your PCS trousers.When do you start ?
Original post by jdale999
A big washing kit bag!
A few added small things as well like the twist leg ties which come very useful for your PCS trousers.When do you start ?

end of october, I didn’t get a PRTC because of covid i believe.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by olibraid
Is there anything that isn't on the kitlist that you'd recommend taking?

Your kit list might be different to what mine was but I recommend taking more civvy clothes and anything that would make you comfortable on evenings and weekends. Like tablet, laptop, books. You’ll have more free time than you think.
Take spare batteries for your head torch and maybe even a spare head torch. You’ll use it a lot on CPT. And I know that some intake staff are really strict about wearing it when you’re walking around camp at night.
You might want to also take a few carabiners. You’ll need at least one to clip your helmet onto your webbing when you start IFPT. If you’re lucky it’ll already have one but some don’t have them and they’re pretty expensive in the shop on camp.
There’s a kettle in the blocks so if you drink tea/coffee then bring some from home. They do sell tea and coffee in the shop but not very many selections.
If you have a handheld hoover at home bring it! You’ll spend ages waiting for everyone to Hoover their bed spaces, it just makes life a little easier. Having said that, if you don’t have one I wouldn’t bother spending the money.
Your kit list might be different to what mine was but I recommend taking more civvy clothes and anything that would make you comfortable on evenings and weekends. Like tablet, laptop, books. You’ll have more free time than you think.
Take spare batteries for your head torch and maybe even a spare head torch. You’ll use it a lot on CPT. And I know that some intake staff are really strict about wearing it when you’re walking around camp at night.
You might want to also take a few carabiners. You’ll need at least one to clip your helmet onto your webbing when you start IFPT. If you’re lucky it’ll already have one but some don’t have them and they’re pretty expensive in the shop on camp.
There’s a kettle in the blocks so if you drink tea/coffee then bring some from home. They do sell tea and coffee in the shop but not very many selections.
If you have a handheld hoover at home bring it! You’ll spend ages waiting for everyone to Hoover their bed spaces, it just makes life a little easier. Having said that, if you don’t have one I wouldn’t bother spending the money.

Thankyou mate, i appreciate the help.
Reply 30
************, I didn’t get a PRTC because of covid i believe.

Please read the Security Rules for the Armed Forces forum and remove the date from your post!
I’m

Thankyou mate, i appreciate the help.

If you have any questions let me know
I’ve just finished at BRTC at RAF Halton. If anyone has any questions, ask away!

Thank you for doing this it really helps everyone out.
I am currently one level off getting to where I need to be for the bleep test. Also my pressup form is definitely not up to scratch.... I am focusing on my fitness for the next 6 weeks before my start date.
I am very stressed that I am going to be giving up everthing including my flat to start and potential get sent home on the first day.
Did that happen to anyone?
If I am shy of reaching the bleep test even the second time will I get sent home or will I get to stay on site and get extra training until the next flight?
Thanks
Original post by cycleintothe
Thank you for doing this it really helps everyone out.
I am currently one level off getting to where I need to be for the bleep test. Also my pressup form is definitely not up to scratch.... I am focusing on my fitness for the next 6 weeks before my start date.
I am very stressed that I am going to be giving up everthing including my flat to start and potential get sent home on the first day.
Did that happen to anyone?
If I am shy of reaching the bleep test even the second time will I get sent home or will I get to stay on site and get extra training until the next flight?
Thanks

They’re really not as strict as you think. You get a couple or so goes at it if you fail and you don’t just get sent home if you fail them all. You would get reflighted until you can pass it. Definitely keep going and working hard to do it but don’t stress about it as it’s not the end of the world
Original post by username0147
They’re really not as strict as you think. You get a couple or so goes at it if you fail and you don’t just get sent home if you fail them all. You would get reflighted until you can pass it. Definitely keep going and working hard to do it but don’t stress about it as it’s not the end of the world

That is such a relief to hear since I'm giving up so much to join.
Yes I am going to make it my mission to not fail but just incase.
Original post by cycleintothe
That is such a relief to hear since I'm giving up so much to join.
Yes I am going to make it my mission to not fail but just incase.

Anything else you’re worried about or just curious about just ask
Reply 36
Are covid measures still as strict? are you allowed leave to go home at weekends now or are they still cancelled?
Original post by pipMack
Are covid measures still as strict? are you allowed leave to go home at weekends now or are they still cancelled?

Not allowed to go home at weekends mate there’s also no local leave anymore.The covid restrictions are slowly easing however.I’ve just graduated today if you have any questions ?
Original post by pipMack

Not as much. Once 80% of the intake is double jabbed you can mix a lot more so boys can mix with girls basically. Plus I think the latest intake are allowed to go home on some weekends but not fully sure on the details of all that.
Original post by jdale999
Not allowed to go home at weekends mate there’s also no local leave anymore.The covid restrictions are slowly easing however.I’ve just graduated today if you have any questions ?

What was the haircut situation like? Is it still a number 2 all over? Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest