Turn on thread page Beta

Bands that promote themselves on myspace watch

ReputationRep:
    are ****.

discuss

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure that more or less every band promotes themselves on Myspace?

Myspace is probably the most useful tool for bands which tour as far as releasing new teaser songs, booking gigs, showing people tour dates.. Myspace is actually the easiest way to contact a band (you'd be surprised how many "big name" musicians will reply to a message as long as it's not stupid)

Saying that bands who promote themselves on myspace are **** is ridiculous unless of course you're refering to the ones which appear in the banners (The Pigeon Detectives & Kings of leon being recent examples) then I will agree, they are ****. Otherwise I don't see in any shape or form how myspace is bad for a band.

ReputationRep:
    almost every band promotes themself on myspace..

ReputationRep:
    So pretty much every band is **** in the OP's opinion - well if that's your view you are welcome to it, I've talked to people who 'don't like music'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    I was thinking the same thing. Loads of band that have been successful for years still have MySpace promotion, it's not necessarily just upcoming talent (or lack of it as the OP states)

(Original post by kimoso)
    Exactly.

If you're looking at bands linked to the profiles of 15 year old 'aLtErNaTiVe' kids you're bound to find some rubbish but that's obvious.

ReputationRep:
    some of my favourite bands/artists are unsigned/not very big yet are on myspace. it's a really useful tool for both artists and fans

ReputationRep:
    Yea.. well ill get on with the topic haha

Im not sure if they use Solely Myspace and Youtube to distribute Music... and ITunes to sell album.... but i really like Boyce Avenue.. quite gud artists... worth given them a look.. their music is right gud

ReputationRep:
    I just think the impact it has is minimal, numbing almost. Something more hardcore socio-political would make more of a statement.

Myspace is nothing more than a trainer or a handbag, a sort of a funky presentational style which ultimately lacks substance. Perhaps this is why the Arctic Monkeys caught on so.

ReputationRep:
    Artic Monkey's caught on because they played "lad-indie" at hundreds of working mens clubs.

There are loads of musicians i've found out about via myspace who are pretty good. Perticulaly you can find alot of electronic music pages where they give everything for free (Though Last.fm is even better for this). When im going to see a local band aswell it's always nice to know whether they're good or not, I've saved alot of my time thanks to myspace pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnxz_87)
    I just think the impact it has is minimal, numbing almost. Something more hardcore socio-political would make more of a statement.

Myspace is nothing more than a trainer or a handbag, a sort of a funky presentational style which ultimately lacks substance. Perhaps this is why the Arctic Monkeys caught on so.
    Myspace, (along with the internet in general, including mp3 downloading), is providing the biggest revolution in the way music is promoted, distributed and recieved since they invented records. To say its impact is 'minimal' is just stupid.

It means any band can put their music out there, promote themselves, advertise gigs, and let people listen to their music, without going through an agent/manager/record company. Obviously this means a lot of bands you wouldn't like get out there, but so will many fantastic bands that otherwise would not have a chance. It takes the power away from record companies and gives it back to the bands themselves, which I think can only be positive.

ReputationRep:
    Some are ****, but some are pretty good.

I would list some **** ones here, but i won't..

Ok..

Elbow.

Good ones:

Hadouken!

I can't think of anything else.. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Theres a difference between bands that promote on Myspace and those that are Hyped on Myspace

ReputationRep:
    Umm, ok.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.