The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Advanced CS at Leeds or work?

I have an offer for advanced CS at Leeds. Is it worth taking this offer or should I work for a year and then apply to "better" universities? Would Leeds have signicantly worse grad prospects than say Warwick/Manchester/UCL?

Also wouldnt be able to afford accomodation this year if I do accept the offer.

Thanks.
But Leeds is already a very good university? And who says you’ll get into ‘better universities’ with just working for a year?
Working as what? Because ‘better’ universities like Warwick probably don’t really care if you spent a year working at Asda before uni.

What unis did you apply to along with leeds? Did you get accepted or rejected? Or is it a clearing offer?

If it’s because you can’t afford university then that’s a whole different reason. Are you unable to take out student loans? Would you not want to work a part-time job whilst at uni?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by cchloepx
But Leeds is already a very good university? And who says you’ll get into ‘better universities’ with just working for a year?
Working as what? Because ‘better’ universities like Warwick probably don’t really care if you spent a year working at Asda before uni.

What unis did you apply to along with leeds? Did you get accepted or rejected? Or is it a clearing offer?

If it’s because you can’t afford university then that’s a whole different reason. Are you unable to take out student loans? Would you not want to work a part-time job whilst at uni?

I'm not sure the reputation of leeds in the IT/Finance world, hence the question.

Applied for both Warwick/Imperial but rejected due to what I presume were poor personal statements (admittedly rushed) & CVs since I did meet the required grades, but lack any real world experience as a new grad, which working would give. Leeds offer wasn't a clearing offer, it was a direct application through their portal.

I could take out a masters loan, but it'd only cover the tuition fee. To be honest, the accomodation fees aren't the biggest issue since I could always raise money somehow, but the loan can only be taken out once so that's what I'm more worried about.

Quick Reply

Latest