(Year 13) Should I Apply to Oxford in 2022?

Watch
bennycoolguy
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I am currently in year 13, and have recently been informed by my school of the assessments which will be included in calculating in my CAG.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my original prediction of AABB is likely to rise to A*AAB. With this rise, I am considering applying to Oxford to study History in 2022.

I currently hold an offer for History at KCL in 2021 which I intend to accept.

Is it wise to start at KCL in Autumn 2021 while simultaneously applying to Oxford in 2022?
My idea is that if I get accepted to Oxford I will drop out of KCL and take the rest of the year off to earn some money.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
I would advise against starting a degree you have no intention to complete. Generally the recommended course of action here would be to take a gap year. (this way you won't use up your gift year with student finance or be stuck at a university you're not happy at)
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by bennycoolguy)
Hi, I am currently in year 13, and have recently been informed by my school of the assessments which will be included in calculating in my CAG.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my original prediction of AABB is likely to rise to A*AAB. With this rise, I am considering applying to Oxford to study History in 2022.

I currently hold an offer for History at KCL in 2021 which I intend to accept.

Is it wise to start at KCL in Autumn 2021 while simultaneously applying to Oxford in 2022?
My idea is that if I get accepted to Oxford I will drop out of KCL and take the rest of the year off to earn some money.
It can be done, but your plan of dropping out should you get a place sounds dubious quite apart from the financials. Oxford will of course be aware that you are at KCL, and will want to be assured that you maintain a level of interest/study in your chosen course. They might make their offer conditional on achieving - for example - certain grades in your first year and/or academic references from KCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.7%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (138)
26.04%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.3%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (255)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.4%

Watched Threads