Best inspirational movies you've seen?

A street cat called bob
Rocky 4
Over the Top
Enemy of the State
The Descent
My two favourites are:

The Shawshank Redemption
This movie is a masterpiece that has always stayed with me. It explores so many subjects: endurance & perseverance, person's soul/spirit being snuffed after years of incarceration, cruelty, humanity.

Not many movies explore the deep & real love/affection two heterosexual men in life can have for each other: two life-long kindred spirits.

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend"

Shindler's List
Very powerful movie. I find there's so much haunting beauty in the black-and-white movie amid so much carnage, and John Williams' score is mesmerising.
The beautiful Embeth Davidtz plays Helen Hersh who is supposed to work for Amon Goth (the commandant). I have to hold back tears watching the absolute terror/fear etched across her face/body in the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_3-iMHiPg. Embeth was incredible.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Krystle726

Gandhi with Ben Kingsley as starring. He played the Indian freedom and independence fighter so convincing that I thought he is Gandhi. Since this time I think what can I do to change things for people for better.
The Pursuit of Happyness- it is very inspiring and teaches us that being a hard worker pays off. When we need or want something, we have to work for it. Life does not give very many free handouts. Chris Gardner was in a very low spot in his own life, but he chose to do all that he could to get out of that low spot.

Legally Blonde :smile:
Original post by loserclubs
The Pursuit of Happyness- it is very inspiring and teaches us that being a hard worker pays off. When we need or want something, we have to work for it. Life does not give very many free handouts. Chris Gardner was in a very low spot in his own life, but he chose to do all that he could to get out of that low spot.

And the horror of being homeless. Having nowhere to go to sleep, feeling isolated, unsafe, and trying to find a sheltered inconspicuous area to get a few hours sleep with his son in the subway bathroom. That hopelessness & desperation - especially for a father. So heart wrenching makes me blubber.
(edited 2 years ago)

I like Ghandi by Attenburrough and der untergang. I think they are the two best historical films, I know. Ghandi was off course a little glorified, because everyone knows that he must have been an absolute nightmare to relate to, just like tolstoy etc. But the scenes, the acting and the filming are perfect. Der Untergang is just simply a masterpiece. Ghandi actually wrote wrote to hitler and lectured him on morals. Which says a little about how glorified ghandi was in the movie.

I dont really like to be lectured to in a movie. It is patronizing and very annoying. But a while back I saw this children's scifi movie called Tomorrowland with George Clooney. It was just so alive.

Awakenings
The pursuit of happiness
(with Will Smith)

Quick Reply

Latest