The Student Room Group

Having 2 jobs at once?

I have got a job which I just started around 1 and a half weeks ago. I got an interview for another retail job in a few days time. If I combine the hours I work it'll be 20 hours a week. Should I do both jobs if offered the second job. The second job is a temp for 8 weeks and the current job I'm in is a temp for 3 months (end of september). The second job would be easier for me to travel and would suit me for uni as they are very good with students. The pay and hours are better and I'd say more easier to get a permanent job. The first job is decent for the summer but would be an issue for me during the winter. I'm not sure what should I do?
(edited 2 years ago)
Since they’re both temps I would say yes, work both in the summer and you can try and wow both managers to see if you could get a more permanent position in either for the winter. Even if this does not work out, you’ll have more experience and so when applying to other jobs it’ll look better!
Would both jobs give you set shifts (that don't overlap) or is it a case of "ill give you whatever shift suits the company as long as its in your availability"? As long as having the two wouldn't impede on your ability to work the other I don't see a problem working the two during summer (I wouldn't recommend 20 hrs whilst studying but I gather one contract would expire by then)

Check the contracts before though, some jobs don't allow you to work a second job in x sector, require you to get permission to start a second job or have days/times you have to be free according to your avaliability.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by idonthaveaname1223
Since they’re both temps I would say yes, work both in the summer and you can try and wow both managers to see if you could get a more permanent position in either for the winter. Even if this does not work out, you’ll have more experience and so when applying to other jobs it’ll look better!

Thank you for your reply. I feel like I need more convincing. I have yet to sign my contract with my first job and they want me to sign when I’m next in which is tomorrow. But the second job is very good and I’d much take that. I don’t want to cause trouble for my manager cos they gave me the opportunity to work.
Original post by lol.yolo
Would both jobs give you set shifts (that don't overlap) or is it a case of "ill give you whatever shift suits the company as long as its in your availability"? As long as having the two wouldn't impede on your ability to work the other I don't see a problem working the two during summer (I wouldn't recommend 20 hrs whilst studying but I gather one contract would expire by then)

Check the contracts before though, some jobs don't allow you to work a second job in x sector, require you to get permission to start a second job or have days/times you have to be free according to your avaliability.

Both contracts finish before I start university. My first job has a set shift yet to be known with the second job. I only work evenings for two days.
Original post by lol.yolo

Just found out that they do set shifts for the second job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending