The Student Room Group

MacBook for uni student

Hello, I decided to purchase a MacBook after I receive my student loan cuz this is the only money I can buy a laptop. But apparently if you buy a MacBook you will receive free AirPods. Has anyone bought a MacBook as a uni student. Should I pay monthly or just pay for the whole price.
Also how are students able to afford MacBook.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by han1all
Hello, I decided to purchase a MacBook after I receive my student loan cuz this is the only money I can buy a laptop. But apparently if you buy a MacBook you will receive free AirPods. Has anyone bought a MacBook as a uni student. Should I pay monthly or just pay for the whole price.

Waste of money
The specs inside the machine for what you are paying are far inferior to windows machine of the same price tag . You are literally paying for the ability to say “oooh look at me I have a mac” . And to have a have a nice silvery flash finish . Safe your money buy a normal computer that will be more than capable for uni stuff and put the saved money to something more useful like rent。
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by han1all

I definitely wouldn't recommend a MacBook for uni, especially if you are in the position to buy a new laptop. A few of my friends used MacBooks at Sixth Form and were then stuck with them at uni. They often had problems uploading work as the Apple/Safari system wasn't compatible with our university platforms, so files would often corrupt or not upload properly.
Reply 3
I strongly disagree with the above comments.

The new M1 MacBook Air is fantastic value for money. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Just ensure you use the student discount to get £100 off and, if you buy at the right time, you should get AirPods/something else too.
Reply 4
Original post by ROC10
I strongly disagree with the above comments.

The new M1 MacBook Air is fantastic value for money. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Just ensure you use the student discount to get £100 off and, if you buy at the right time, you should get AirPods/something else too.

Thank you. And yes it can be expensive but I heard it lasts years. I have bought a laptop windows when I started college and it literally started to become so slow my mic and camera stopped working all of the sudden. To fix a laptop it is more likely to cost £100.
Reply 5
Original post by HearMeRoar
I definitely wouldn't recommend a MacBook for uni, especially if you are in the position to buy a new laptop. A few of my friends used MacBooks at Sixth Form and were then stuck with them at uni. They often had problems uploading work as the Apple/Safari system wasn't compatible with our university platforms, so files would often corrupt or not upload properly.

Thank you for your advice need more to think about it.
Reply 6
Go for the student offer so you’re saving money and get the AirPods.

I debated for years whether to keep with windows or go MacBook. I took the plunge earlier in the year (a MacBook Pro with the new M1 chip) and despite the cost, it’s the best laptop I’ve ever had. It is everything I need it for and I feel I’m well matched. I will never go back to a windows machine again.

Do what you want. When researching, you’ll always get people saying not to do it. I’ve had no issues, everything is comparable and it’s super quick, no fan noise, the battery is beyond excellent and it’s lightweight. I say go for it if your heart is set on a MacBook.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Can't go wrong with a MacBook Pro, especially with the new Apple chips - so powerful. Definitely recommend.
Reply 8
Original post by Bexjw
Go for the student offer so you’re saving money and get the AirPods.

I debated for years whether to keep with windows or go MacBook. I took the plunge earlier in the year (a MacBook Pro with the new M1 chip) and despite the cost, it’s the best laptop I’ve ever had. It is everything I need it for and I feel I’m well matched. I will never go back to a windows machine again.

Do what you want. When researching, you’ll always get people saying not to do it. I’ve had no issues, everything is comparable and it’s super quick, no fan noise, the battery is beyond excellent and it’s lightweight. I say go for it if your heart is set on a MacBook.

Thank you, yes it is true about the battery it lasts about 18 hours which is so useful as you do not need to carry a charger everywhere.
Reply 9
Original post by Stumpy1001
Waste of money
The specs inside the machine for what you are paying are far inferior to windows machine of the same price tag . You are literally paying for the ability to say “oooh look at me I have a mac” . And to have a have a nice silvery flash finish . Safe your money buy a normal computer that will be more than capable for uni stuff and put the saved money to something more useful like rent。

I’m not paying for MacBook to show off and wanting attention there are people who do that. But I kinda agree there are people who are Like that
I loved my old MBP got about 5 years excellent use before the battery started to decline. (And i was cycling it multiple times a day every day).

Nowadays i use a desktop & ipad air. Which works better for me as I am a graduate with a professional office so I don’t need to be as dynamic with finding places to work.

What I find more concerning is funding it with the student loan, the loan is often chopped into 3 (uneven) chunks and you need to make sure you have enough money budgeted afterwards from the first instalment to see you through to January/February time before you get a new computer, just something to think about.
Original post by han1all
I’m not paying for MacBook to show off and wanting attention there are people who do that. But I kinda agree there are people who are Like that

Then why buy a laptop that when you actual delve into the specs , you can find a windows laptop which is equal to or better than for like half the price ?
Reply 12
Then why buy a laptop that when you actual delve into the specs , you can find a windows laptop which is equal to or better than for like half the price ?

You're fighting a losing battle with the M1 chips.
Original post by IWMTom
You're fighting a losing battle with the M1 chips.

Was that a serious comment
Lol
Reply 14
Was that a serious comment
Lol

Yes, and if you disagree then frankly you're on another planet.

This is coming from a Windows user.
Reply 15
You get your maintenance loan in three installments, at the start of each term. So if you buy a macbook at the start with your loan, you're not going to have much money left to spend on things like food. and accommodation.
Students can afford it usually because their parents can afford to pay for some/most/all of it.
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, and if you disagree then frankly you're on another planet.

This is coming from a Windows user.

Even if you could make an argument that the way are better than an i7 ( which isn’t even the latest anymore ) you are delusional if you think that it’s so much better it warrants s £500 + price hike
Waste of money

I'm a diehard Thinkpad/Latitude fanboy personally, but the high-end Macs really aren't that overpriced for the specs compared to other new PCs. It's Apple's accessories, repairs and low-end products that are a ripoff.
Reply 18
Even if you could make an argument that the way are better than an i7 ( which isn’t even the latest anymore ) you are delusional if you think that it’s so much better it warrants s £500 + price hike

You're literally on another planet if you think there's anything remotely comparable to the M1 chips for the portable market. Stop being a little fanboy and appreciate good technology like a civil human being.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
You're literally on another planet if you think there's anything remotely comparable to the M1 chips for the portable market. Stop being a little fanboy and appreciate good technology like a civil human being.

Lol hypocrite . Civility yet you resort to insults . Feel big do you keyboard warrior .

Latest

Trending

Trending