Do I have a chance of applying to Oxford for Physics?

Watch this thread
aj_48
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I have predicted grades A*A*AA in maths, further maths, physics and geography respectively. Is it bad if I don't have an A* in physics considering that is the course I am applying for? I also have grades 99999888777 at GCSE which I am not sure if they are enough because I have heard that Oxford put a high emphasis on GCSE?
username4899406
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
According to their entry requirements that is ok a level wise
In terms of GCSE depends on your high school demographic etc and also on the constituent college as they all have slightly varying preferences
viennas
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by aj_48)
I have predicted grades A*A*AA in maths, further maths, physics and geography respectively. Is it bad if I don't have an A* in physics considering that is the course I am applying for? I also have grades 99999888777 at GCSE which I am not sure if they are enough because I have heard that Oxford put a high emphasis on GCSE?
As someone else said, GCSE results are contextualised so it really depends on the school you did them at. But they look really strong in my opinion and I don't think that would hold you back. The emphasis on GCSEs at Oxford is kinda true, it really depends on the subject. The important thing is that you do well on the PAT. That's likely to be the main factor in getting an interview.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Your GCSEs are strong anyway, and also for physics at Oxford GCSEs are not as important as for other courses there for physics, compared to the PAT. So you should have a good chance. A* in maths and further maths is probably a stronger indicator of performance on a physics degree than A* in A-level Physics anyway I imagine tbh.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (143)
42.18%
Not yet, but I will soon (61)
17.99%
No (135)
39.82%

Watched Threads