The Student Room Group

Vectors in 3D prism question

Hello. What am I doing wrong here? I can seem to get the rest but i can’t understand to see where the 3 came from? I am asking about ci)
Thank you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
It would be better to explicitly write in vector form CB and BG then do the vector addition.

You've effectively assumed your plane is perpendicular to the x-axis, which it isn't. There will be a non-zero x component in CG because of CB.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
It would be better to explicitly write in vector form CB and BG then do the vector addition.

You've effectively assumed your plane is perpendicular to the x-axis, which it isn't. There will be a non-zero x component in CG because of CB.

I’m sorry if I don’t understand this, do you mean CB here is the x? I thought with its direction it’s the j or the y :0, also would the CDBG and OEFA be same to each other?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Eris13696
I’m sorry if I don’t understand this, do you mean CB here is the x? I thought with its direction it’s the j or the y :0, also would the CDBG and OEFA be same to each other?

Tthe x-y-z axes are on the diagram and you use vectors in parts a) and b), so you need to use them in c as well.
CG = CB + BG
as you say but you need to work CB out correctly as OB-OC.

You seem to have the wrong plane picture in your head - forget about it and use vectors explicitly.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest