The Student Room Group

Missing my mocks

I’ve had mocks from Monday to Friday but I missed one of the exams on Friday and I’ve been absent a few times this term because of illness but this time a personal issue came up so I couldn’t take the exam. I emailed my history teacher to take the exam next week she hasn’t replied yet. But will I get in trouble by the head of sixthform who is really strict and hates my guts????
Sometimes illness and personal issues cannot be avoided. So I would hope that your school also understands this and will hopefully accommodate for it. You can try emailing them again, or perhaps you can try emailing a head of department or someone else who deals with absences, or maybe a form tutor will be able to help.

I hope things turn out well for you and that you're alright
Reply 2
I missed all bar 2 of my year 12 mocks due to illness, my school just let me make them up over the next few weeks (helps to have a good reputation so they trust you not to cheat!). You shouldn't get in trouble for something you can't help, though they may ask for a good explanation if they're particularly strict. Either way you've missed the exam now, so all you can do is wait for them to respond to your email and tell you your next steps :smile:
Original post by ApplePiePanda
Sometimes illness and personal issues cannot be avoided. So I would hope that your school also understands this and will hopefully accommodate for it. You can try emailing them again, or perhaps you can try emailing a head of department or someone else who deals with absences, or maybe a form tutor will be able to help.

I hope things turn out well for you and that you're alright

I hope so too other people have missed exams too and they’re doing it next week so hopefully I should be able to aswell
Original post by Interea
I missed all bar 2 of my year 12 mocks due to illness, my school just let me make them up over the next few weeks (helps to have a good reputation so they trust you not to cheat!). You shouldn't get in trouble for something you can't help, though they may ask for a good explanation if they're particularly strict. Either way you've missed the exam now, so all you can do is wait for them to respond to your email and tell you your next steps :smile:

Yeah hopefully they let me make up for it next week
Update: they won’t let me take the exams
Wait, seriously? How will that work? I'm assuming you're either a year 10 or 12. But the Summer exams are pretty important as a general guideline for predicted grades (though they are not always accurate). Will they give you grades based off in class assessments or have some sort of system for your grades?
Wait, seriously? How will that work? I'm assuming you're either a year 10 or 12. But the Summer exams are pretty important as a general guideline for predicted grades (though they are not always accurate). Will they give you grades based off in class assessments or have some sort of system for your grades?

Hi, I am receiving my A-Level results this August and am going off to uni this September but for me, due to the first national lockdown back in 2020 and the indefinite closure of schools till September, it meant that I did not sit any end of year 12 mocks. The only mock I had done was in Physics back in early march 2020. As such, my predicted grade for physics was based off that one paper and I was given an A.

However, for maths since I did no mock exam, they legit plucked the grade out of thin air and I along with two other students was given a B. Now in year 12, I was getting really high marks in the unit tests we did but those results were not looked at as it was not deemed sufficient enough 'data' to derive a predicted grade. We were also given some past papers to do during lockdown and the teacher marked it but I don't think he recorded the results on the school system cuz I am pretty sure those would have been enough data to act as the basis for the predicted grade.

Annoyingly, we did no mocks in year 13 as the schools main priority was to get through content and closing the gap on misconceptions as opposed to continually assessing us. It meant I was stuck with the B grade as my year 13 teacher was the head of department and they did not teach us in year 12.

It was a pisstake as it limited what unis I could apply to as for my course (computer science) a lot of the unis ask for an A grade in maths.

I’m year 12 and I’m not sure they’re not really communicating with me

Quick Reply

Latest